D-day Spitfires - Eduard Longest Day 1/72 Combo

On 7/12/2019 at 5:34 AM, Heather Kay said:

I think it’s lovely you provide lots of toys for them to play with once they’re in the cockpit and flying from the ceiling. :wink:

but have you seen what he does to those guys before they get to play ?  It's like some (even more) crazed version of The Island of Dr. Moreau

14 hours ago, CedB said:

Crew selected and in place:

<snip> (edited for family viewing)

What's that? Oh, those bits on the left of the picture?

I rest my case m'lud

More Ced mastery on display I see.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The Butcher of Bath strikes again. Poor buggers! 

Remind me to stay quiet if ever I hear our Ced ask if everybody's sitting comfortably!

Ian

• Haha 7

On 13/07/2019 at 11:18, Biggles87 said:

I have a selection of ( non-Eduard ) one piece resin top cowlings for my 1/48 Eduard Spitfires. Strangely the Eduard ones do not fit! I wonder if the 1/72 versions are any better. 

Good luck with the sanding.

John

Thanks John - we'll see if mine turn out OK but those one piece cowlings sound like a good idea for non-ceiling models :) 

On 13/07/2019 at 12:11, malpaso said:

Personally I don’t see why there’s such a fuss about the Eduard cowlings.  It’s effectively no worse than the joint on every other 1/72 Spitfire kit!  Actually better as on my ones so far a quick line of tipp-ex and some wet and dry and it’s done...admittedly a one piece part would have been even better though they would have needed multiple versions.

cheers

Will

I see what you mean Will - there would be a seam anyway with 'normal' kits. But with these you have the added danger of them not fitting on the sides too!

I also take your point about the multiple options with one parts tree but then I always only build one variant - and end up with LOTS of spare parts.

Still, the kit IS great, it has to be said :) 

On 13/07/2019 at 14:32, hendie said:

but have you seen what he does to those guys before they get to play ?  It's like some (even more) crazed version of The Island of Dr. Moreau

I rest my case m'lud

More Ced mastery on display I see.  

Thanks Hendie, kind and appreciated! :) 

On 13/07/2019 at 15:10, limeypilot said:

The Butcher of Bath strikes again. Poor buggers! 

Remind me to stay quiet if ever I hear our Ced ask if everybody's sitting comfortably!

Ian

Wise advice Ian, wise advice :wicked:

Did I say we're hosting two fourteen year-old French girls for three weeks. Mais oui, c'est vrai (that's my French gone matey). They arrived yesterday and today (and two more Sundays) are 'Family Days'. Apparently we're supposed to take them out somewhere to absorb them in English. Also apparently finding themselves something to do while I model is not acceptable. Drat. Out for the day then so I've only had a bit of time for the Spits. Enough time though to fall for this old trick:

48284781282_9740045ffc_z.jpg

Part B13 doesn't fit. WHAT!

Then if you read on you realise that B13 is for the closed open version as opposed to the open open version. I want closed closed like this:

48284784467_e50f97b323_z.jpg

:doh:

So, if your door doesn't fit like this:

48284685821_5b89afe523_z.jpg

…you've got the wrong part. I am an idiot.

Another thing I've done wrong before - the aileron fit. It doesn't:

48284705651_946bb9c148_z.jpg

… if you have even the smallest bit of flash/knub on the wing like this bit:

48284810792_a14a17c4ec_z.jpg

See it? In the middle of the two hinges.

Cut it off and make sure the aileron is also clean and the back will line up. Honest.

Then you can get on with trying to get the wing tips to fit without splitting the wings AND trying to get the panel lines lined up:

48284880972_4d468a1cbf_z.jpg

I've done one. The other can wait until tomorrow.

Nite nite chaps :) 

• Like 12

I found my first profipack kits almost clicked together (apart from self-launching PE).  But later Weekend one’s just had hints of flash that needed clean up.  Nothing terrible but different to the earlier moulding.  Mind you I’m building their L39 and that’s nothing like as nice to build!

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

Thanks Will - I agree; you can see some on the LE of that wing.

Nothing serious but (as you say) the kit tolerances are very tight so any flash knocks things out of kilter.

Care needed! :) 

• Like 1

Trailing the field by several lengths but finally caught up with your work here Ced.

Sorry to see the ceiling casualties but your bravura work on these Spits should most certainly banish any blues.

Particularly taken by those lovely compasses!

• Like 1

Thanks Tony and welcome back!

Soon we have this:

48288906907_23dd45464a_z.jpg

Then it was time to turn them over. Out with the Lego (and WhoFan's donated Princess, of course):

48289877922_686d50a3ff_z.jpg

Now then, I think these are impossible without serious tools:

48296347776_68b7e7fea4_z.jpg

The cooler's OK, but the flap? Bent at 45o? Impossible. My little PE bender won't touch it. Or pliers. It won't be seen anyway so they're being left out.

Radiator PE in:

48296565416_13715896cd_z.jpg

No, I won't be bothering with the tiny, tiny pipe - it'll get knocked out anyway, so there.

While posting, how do you get on with Surfacer 1000? I don't:

48296566891_bd8de8ba32_z.jpg

I need something that will fill small seams like that and I keep trying it and getting the same result. Madness.

Am I using the wrong 'grade' and should be using the thicker (500) stuff?

Or just use PPP?

• Like 8

Hi Ced, 

I use both Mr Surfacer 1000 and 500, but I only use 1000 for things like  scars caused by a slipped blade or badly removed sprue attachment.I find the 500 more useful, and fill unwanted panel lines and rivet holes with it. I think a lot of people spray Mr Surfacer 1000 as a primer but I havn't tried that.

HTH

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeez I’ve missed most of it! I’ll go back through.

looking good Ced

Edit: having read the rest I am even less confident about building mine! Yours look lovely though!

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

All looking good there Ced.

As for seam filling, I would go for an acrylic like PPP or similar.

Simon

Thanks Simon :) Yep, I think I'll stick to that stuff in the future.

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Hi Ced, 

I use both Mr Surfacer 1000 and 500, but I only use 1000 for things like  scars caused by a slipped blade or badly removed sprue attachment.I find the 500 more useful, and fill unwanted panel lines and rivet holes with it. I think a lot of people spray Mr Surfacer 1000 as a primer but I havn't tried that.

HTH

John

Ah, thanks John. That'll be it then - just for scars :) 

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

Jeez I’ve missed most of it! I’ll go back through.

looking good Ced

Edit: having read the rest I am even less confident about building mine! Yours look lovely though!

Rob

Hi Rob :) Sorry, yes, hiding in a GB gets me too! You'll get on fine with the kit I'm sure (even if the PE is fiddly).

Nothing much done today as I've been taking Mrs B about and fiddling with a new iMac. Better than the laptop I hope, but we shall see!

We have had a family of Crows about and, by the state of the garden, it looks like their youngster is shedding his fluff for real flight feathers. Appropriately he HAD been wearing D-Day stripes!

48297813957_30d8517080_z.jpg

D-Day Crow by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Presumably to aid recognition :D 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

It’s such a lovely shape the Eduard cowlings but it’s a right fiddle and can ruin it a bit. But if you get it right it’s worth it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CedB said:

We have had a family of Crows about and, by the state of the garden, it looks like their youngster is shedding his fluff for real flight feathers. Appropriately he HAD been wearing D-Day stripes!

48297813957_30d8517080_z.jpg

D-Day Crow by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Presumably to aid recognition :D 

Or perhaps he really wanted to be a magpie....!!

K

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, CedB said:

Then it was time to turn them over. Out with the Lego (and WhoFan's donated Princess, of course):

I wondered whether Leia had been rescued - clearly not!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

It’s such a lovely shape the Eduard cowlings but it’s a right fiddle and can ruin it a bit. But if you get it right it’s worth it.

Agreed :) 

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Or perhaps he really wanted to be a magpie....!!

K

What! No son of mine is going that way - caw! :D 

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Hello Ced. Nice progress so far. Both coming along nicely.

Cheers

Thanks Ben :) 

1 hour ago, Whofan said:

I wondered whether Leia had been rescued - clearly not!!

Nope. Still in chains, just how you like her John :D 

Another 'uh oh' potential issue passed:

48300728482_11c6684e81_z.jpg

48300622341_2650ebffec_z.jpg

It's sometime tricky to get those to settle properly but I'm happy with those.

• Like 7

Now the next problem - wheels up.

If you assemble the wheels they don't fit in the bays/wells:

48305406857_ca03522290_z.jpg

However, IF you only put half a wheel on they seem to fit fine:

48305416057_0a817a1d72_z.jpg

Four legs prepared:

48305475357_21f7f5dfc5_z.jpg

Now I need to chop the ends off. Nasty.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

Not much done this morning as I've had my hair cut. Just the one mind :D 

Legs up? Chop 'em off about here:

48305520466_4669c7496d_z.jpg

…and after a lot of fiddling and Anglo-Saxon they're in:

48305650497_1fb8b72cc5_z.jpg

I've even, in a moment of madness, fitted the canopy catches:

48306443082_ebf083a654_z.jpg

Bet they fall off when I try to paint them. I even remembered the gunsights:

48306326401_1fe9c3bd4f_z.jpg

Canopies on when that's dry.

• Like 10

Thanks Ian - I have some of that and will give it a try :) 

Well my prediction that I would knock off the canopy closure PE when I painted it did not come true. Both were painted without catastrophe.

When I placed the first windscreen on it knocked the closure back. Rats.

When I took the canopy off to fix it I dropped the canopy and the PE was munched by the carpet monster. Double rats.

On the second one I decided to try to position the closure to prevent it being knocked off when I put on the windscreen.

Knocked it off, never to be seen again.

Ho hum, the canopies are on now:

48316073276_2db16c7078_z.jpg

In my defence I was struck down by the lurgie yesterday afternoon and spent most of the evening in bed.

Not much better today so I had to cancel my attendance at the last ever recording of 'This Week' :weep:

I love that show.

Looks like I can't type now either. Back to bed then…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 9

Amazing level of detail on these Spits Ced! Never owned/made a thing by Eduard before - are all their kits this good?

Ditto your issues with the Mr. Surfacer. For seams like that my goto these days is a smear of Milliput rubbed along the groove with a finger and immediately planed flat with a wet razor blade at an acute angle. Barely needs much sanding afterwards.

Hope you start feeling better soon and sorry it made you miss your TV slot. Here's The Spy in Black if you feel like watching a classic thriller instead:

https://youtu.be/9UCdDEGycLI

Jeez. Nearly finished without saying how good these is looking. Where's me manners?

Get well soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sorry Ced, but I had to laugh at your unfortunate series of events.  We all have days like that.

Spits are starting to look graceful now though.  Fight your way through the lurgie and we'll wait patiently for your return

• Thanks 1