Revell 1/32 Bf109G-6 to G-14 blue 62

Good morning guys,

Spending my summer time on a greek island, serving on a fire fighting alert with my ''dromader''...

uQeD12Rm.jpg

i chose to deal with a new project ...Revell's 1/32 Bf-109 G-6. I chose to build a not so usual subject, Blue 62 from Barracuda decals, which actually is a G-14 model. Please, keep that in mind during the build as i may need your help regarding any differences or remarks!!

nx8BAPjm.jpg

j3WSLGhm.jpg

It is not going to be an OOB build, as i have bought some aftermarket items in order to build the model as accurate as i can!!

One of these items is Eduard's brassin cockpit...

kU7GEgbl.png

which is very good with a lot of details and improvements, but not without problems as i will show you later.... 

So..the cockpit first...the floor and the side panels...

zXWPvyBl.jpg

4UZxLyLl.jpg

B8RrhmBl.jpg

And i added some details...

yHCfxkSl.jpg

MRHZoRjl.jpg

About the floor and the overall fit....

First of all, if you follow the eduard instructions while assembling the cockpit, it leaves an about 2 mm gap on the front. Actually both side panels are longer than the revell ones...so instead of trimming anything and damage the overall engineering, i added an evergreen strip to the front and a small strip to the rear on the fuselage and i was able to (dry fit) assemble the cockpit and also to acheive a perfect fit!

Here you can see the revell cockpti tub...excellent engineering...you can see the small tubs where the cocpit floor sits on...(disregard the white tub, this is for the brassin cockpit)

wWDGMBrl.jpg

gsCjo1fl.jpg

cNatOoel.jpg

Here is my mod....

EzEZEGjl.jpg

hcPOtZal.jpg

dNQw8rUl.jpg

Here before the mods....

WyERjvdl.jpg

and here after the mods...

sE2odeql.jpg

Now about the rear part with the battery compartmet...you can see how it sits in regard with the fuselage...which is acceptable if you use the two part canopy. But i want to use the Elra one, and the part there is completelly flat...

You can also see the small gap the battery cover leaves if you put it in the right place...

AmFSh6kl.jpg

OeTtB1Al.jpg

sGRUBv5l.jpg

Here is the real thing...

gUsSdNEl.jpg

t9zyWIll.jpg

So i made a new one with evergreen...

vx2Ro2bl.jpg

VqvzOjKl.jpg

the lanyard...to secure the canopy in the open position...

eAs7i9al.jpg

And the Radub's excellent erla style PE canopy...

clx85M3l.jpg

SqNf2zRl.jpg

B59nxu4l.jpg

4GBbDXvl.jpg

The armored panel...

vzSGgy8l.jpg

oFftiDnl.jpg

The gunshight...

l4fnhm3l.jpg

The windscreen...

o9wxIaQl.jpg

cfOVawRl.jpg

and the two canditates for the instrument panel... I like the yahu one but you have to modify some things in order to acheive a perfect fit. I think i will take my chances with the eduard one, which in fact is better in my opinion, more detail and more crisp, using the airscales german instrument faces.

dy1Vp90l.jpg

Thats all for now folks, hope you like it.

Please if you have any suggestions regarding the build and the G-14 mark...i am all ears!!!

John

• Like 15

• 4 weeks later...

Nice start John

You've got the battery cover. The other main difference is the MW50 filler on the stbd fuselage spine opposite the fuel filler (which is on the port side). Can't recall if it is on Revell kit and they ask you to fill it?

Now, I'm not 100% in my recollection, but I think that many ERLA WNF G-14s had MK 108 engine cannon which means different breech cover in the 'pit, slightly different opening in the spinner and retention of the circular cover on the stbd side around where the lower arm of the Balkankreuz sits - this was compressed air filler for MK 108 cocking. Revell has this in place I recall. Finally for the MK108 cannon there's a gun gas vent just behind the rearmost stbd exhaust. It's just a circular hole (I have photo of this on a G-10 I can upload).

9512930356_d546d27df1_o.jpgMK108 exhaust vent annotated by Matt Low, on Flickr

Also I believe many of the ERLA produced G-14s (and later G-10s) incorporated an obsolete cover, again on the stbd side behind and below the MW50 filler. This had been incorporated in Bf109G-6 aircraft that had the GM1 boost system. The cover was access to a pressure release valve or similar. ERLA continued to use these panels with the cutout , as I said, well into G-10 production - it's a bit of a diagnostic for ID-ing and ERLA G-10.

This image shows the additional GM1 related cover, above the 1. Also of course shows the MW50 filler cover at the apex of the MW50 triangular symbol. https://www.flickr.com/photos/28092068@N03/6985122012/in/album-72157625539886908/

Another. MW50 filler on spine, GM1 cover below and behind and nearest us is the primer fuel cover (all versions had this. https://www.flickr.com/photos/28092068@N03/7846935074/in/album-72157625539886908/

Matt

• Like 3

Good evening guys,

Some progress to show...

First of all i added the MW50 boost pressure gauge on the left side of the cockpit, as another member from another forum pointed out...

v7VeF9Zl.jpg
MFiMNiyl.jpg

I also received Alley cat's correct gun covers...

OxrJaXyl.jpg

Before start dealing with painting the cockpit i sanded down as much as i could the exhaust covers...

EhUHigdl.jpg
8IHR9Sgl.jpg
PSanSGzl.jpg

I have to paint the exhaust before gluing them from inside to the fuselage sides. Thats a bit of a problem during the painting process, but nothing that cant be done.

and time to paint the cockpit...First i applied a coat of ak aluminium, chipping medium and finally gunze's RLM66.

wFdHgm4l.jpg
v8z7EZXl.jpg
1rILEcal.jpg
qlgsl2Pl.jpg
RuScmxZl.jpg
NgFiBXwl.jpg
3ZAh45Fl.jpg

Waiting for the parts to dry i dealt with the instrument panel. I chose the resign one from eduard. First i carefully painted the dial details, then i punched the dial faces from airscale's exeptional decals and finally i added small clear sheet faces on top.

T0GvzM8l.jpg
HpORHsvl.jpg
J611CQbl.jpg
DtmOo7Al.jpg
lSIpQp7l.jpg

Little light wash and dry brush and here it is next to yahu's one...i like it better!

Q6rBBl7l.jpg

Next on detailing the cockpit....

HD11TLkl.jpg
LbsbSpal.jpg
wonrDO8l.jpg
Zbp2L2Jl.jpg
Cmdup8Gl.jpg
kh6Euw9l.jpg
MTUEdxMl.jpg
glCuASjl.jpg

Excellent Radub's seat belts...

1wUhD8fl.jpg
SAAakuel.jpg

First run for ak's real colors gloss varnish...really excellent staff (thinned with leveling thinner, true opponent for my favourite X-22 from tamiya)

stHwnXEl.jpg

Wash, weathering, matt varnish and final weathering...

SIv5Gggl.jpg
D9GeFANl.jpg
CmdLcxYl.jpg
PacSFaLl.jpg
ju0pClgl.jpg
3LJKqTnl.jpg
KDsoudKl.jpg
e2hlvmQl.jpg
dtNjtBIl.jpg

And finally the exhausts, first shot with alclad exhast manifold and then treated with rubb n' buff spanish copper, finally little black with mig's black smoke weathering pigments

AicZgSCl.jpg
067SbE5l.jpg

That's all my friends, hope you like it...

Next with cockpit installation....

All the best,

John

Edited by zaxos345
  • Like 15

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good morning lads,

Work and lack of time kept me back from posting any progress, but i kept working on her...finally found some time to sit down and post. There is a lot of work to show...so be patient😄

Back to cockpit...

8zt3v94l.jpg

tlOjStHl.jpg

uLut0TTl.jpg

I glued the cockpit the guns and the exhausts in place and closed the fuselage...minimum filler for the job...Well done revell!!!!

I also placed the resign gun cover from alley cat, and with the help of miliput i smoothed everyting out. I did not like the beveled edges of the revel piece at the back behind the seat so i placed a piece of styrene there... It would have been no problem with canopy closed but i will pose it open, so...

UT9Y0Hdl.jpg

XPUv2yal.jpg

pdcpLCol.jpg

Fyepujkl.jpg

07HyWMFl.jpg

eCTws2Yl.jpg

I also smoothed out those little details on airerons and elevators (dont know the name....)

Wx2OnTtl.jpg

...Some work at the ammo ejection chutes on the underside of the fuselage....

0zYTml8l.jpg

I assempled the gun sight and glued the windscreen on...

Sc1Tipel.jpg

dqFuGM7l.jpg

Glued the resign bulges on....

6NJcrrhl.jpg

8Fk0Obll.jpg

3zQynTYl.jpg

while glue was giving time to set, i dealt with the landing gear...painted and weathered...Everything is eduard brassin and resign...

459nNUtl.jpg

IK3gRxjl.jpg

omt7ciIl.jpg

tgshXUEl.jpg

q2CMhGal.jpg

0TWmKlul.jpg

7bf58vrl.jpg

SdlMT7Kl.jpg

kdwEMzzl.jpg

CdHE9Xwl.jpg

rsGA7tMl.jpg

9CHcES6l.jpg

I decided to deal with the spinner and propellers then...it is my first German build and to do the spiral on the spinner right it was a challenge...i think i made it!!!

YaSwgDIl.jpg

jKxL1tbl.jpg

x57BAeDl.jpg

mRpfr3El.jpg

SI3t1OSl.jpg

FulvYSbl.jpg

TYlt0uGl.jpg

QUgUGbVl.jpg

jmy79W8l.jpg

J1H8Hq5l.jpg

ayW4vWHl.jpg

HIXMhPXl.jpg

Yz457aql.jpg

After that i rescribed all the lost detail and rivet the whole arframe. A friend of mine told me that there were hardly any rivets showing on a BF-109...but i had already riveted her..😂

Anyway, for that reason and for scale purposes i always rivet before painting so after painting the minimum wil be visible....i hope...

8JvhDj4l.jpg

syokNTel.jpg

TPx9UCfl.jpg

8Dn2XkDl.jpg

I also scribed some missing belly details as well as missing IFF antenna location.

tYsDjW2l.jpg

And it was time to glue the wings on...i chose to glue the two upper halves together first, for each wing and the upper wings on the fuselage. Before trying to folow this way i made a lot of dry fits to assure that the fit was perfect. And i was not wrong, cudos to revell...Also this way gave me the room to put some cables in the wheel wells....

4YntlV5l.jpg

jefAMPQl.jpg

KRj0r1Yl.jpg

oAcDc0Nl.jpg

...wheel wells...

Az8jiDbl.jpg

dfcD8uRl.jpg

79kx1YIl.jpg

79kx1YIl.jpg

rS80Sl1l.jpg

uSybEMJl.jpg

nn4aOxjl.jpg

RP1wfsfl.jpg

r3EiJEul.jpg

Wings glued on.....

oAcDc0Nl.jpg

npsJWydl.jpg

L2YZUGyl.jpg

...fixed any gaps, masked everything and sprayed Mr. surfacer 1500 to see any imperfections. There were some an i dealt with them.

QdSpUUTl.jpg

EDPPtaHl.jpg

cu3QkrMl.jpg

SYNUl4tl.jpg

Kn1K3JBl.jpg

mBpIjs2l.jpg

jpgfLrTl.jpg

And it is time to throw some paint on. I tried something new for me, some presading with some kind of marbling.

6O12Y4fl.jpg

p0JVIFKl.jpg

M0NAkNbl.jpg

WhE1xkYl.jpg

And i started put the colors on lightly. All the colors are AK real colors, they went smooth expept of the RLM81 the brown one which seemed to clog my arbrush even if i diluted with strong harware lacqeur thinner.

tL0nLpSl.jpg

LxEFik2l.jpg

ALPPDBol.jpg

daHkSzBl.jpg

YJcYd3Pl.jpg

bzY7yngl.jpg

ZYNj6FGl.jpg

UbfqXY0l.jpg

cT1ZyC6l.jpg

01qiN0jl.jpg

zpFczZ4l.jpg

hZVP9MKl.jpg

Yjmmeccl.jpg

PejQEmUl.jpg

4jYtVx9l.jpg

NX9q4m4l.jpg

I spayed the wing insignia first with custom masks...

vX3Vangl.jpg

5a2LC1dl.jpg

oQgSsNql.jpg

QozMdAyl.jpg

37isdncl.jpg

rqOkRpSl.jpg

You can also see some really nice detail which even barracuda on his decals didn't catch it in this profile. Behind the ''2'' you can see a small fading  ''3'' which was oversprayed in order to put Nr 62 on top.

If you magnify the pic...you will notice...

QgvmuhDl.jpg

cMgJz3wl.jpg

It was also my fist time to spray motling, my first attemp... i sparyed the patterns and i tried to weather them a bit....Hope i succeded something!!! 😄

Ng1lHBol.jpg

XgXKqaVl.jpg

QozMdAyl.jpg

wK3GYI5l.jpg

ylA2t03l.jpg

zIPVOl3l.jpg

1IPWbrGl.jpg

CHu0dcql.jpg

And as yoy can see, i masked, with custom masks of mine, and sprayed the insignia on the fuselage....

IRSFol5l.jpg

pO46c19l.jpg

C5JXwajl.jpg

RuugOoZl.jpg

It was a long post guys, hope you like it so far,

John

Edited by zaxos345
  • Like 12

• 3 months later...

Good evening guys, it's high time i posted my latest update!! I have finally come to the end with this lovely babe!!

So lets begin....

First of all i corrected the wavy pattern of the wing leading edges...

Q03ZfvEl.jpg

Gloss Varnish (ak real colors gloss) and HGW wet transfers combined with barracuda serials....

WJU69TNl.jpg

GvIeWiIl.jpg

U8SK07jl.jpg

Wash...

2BvBl4rl.jpg

TmfCq60l.jpg

I24sLSwl.jpg

dd4CxgVl.jpg

And i started with the weathering..

o32LOTvl.jpg

W2j1nzll.jpg

yZfUFLAl.jpg

O9CJikRl.jpg

molhQosl.jpg

TocpdDRl.jpg

qfIr7ycl.jpg

aJGLQCql.jpg

eDfRdvUl.jpg

More oil weathering on the fuselage and some silver pencil on the wing roots...I also sprayed through art stencils some grime, black and more lighter shade...

JGgUPUhl.jpg

AbPbGtvl.jpg

vi4a408l.jpg

IpygAMAl.jpg

• Like 2

....And it was time to deal with the Photoedged canopy. I forgot to take pics, but i cut the clear parts provided by Radub, i sprayed the thin red line and i glued them with future on the pe frame. I glued the head armour and added some other details....

R2KR9LHl.jpg

SoZRIFBl.jpg

dFwLDkll.jpg

KRytYWnl.jpg

llzK9Aul.jpg

A6kBcfQl.jpg

Then i really struggled to attach the canopy, glue the antenna tension wire inside the canopy, stretch the aerial cord, and all the small itemw in order to complete the build, ia finally made it!!!

H1bChqGl.jpg

ZT7LZJKl.jpg

CdoAc93l.jpg

g3YeyQyl.jpg

9Ju3W4bl.jpg

Finally i glued the landing gear as well as the propeller...

pnl3pral.jpg

EK9lvAhl.jpg

3l28YzQl.jpg

And guys, some final ones, i will post more on the RFI section here

Thank you very much for watching!!

SqmXninl.jpg

Ge9suvml.jpg

tyDOpDml.jpg

cQubIbrl.jpg

j4hQa1tl.jpg

7l7X3Pil.jpg

John