Airfix 1/72 P-51D Nose Art

Another market tester, the cheap and cheerful Airfix 1/72 P-51D, which could be had for as little as £2.99 recently. The decals were from an ancient 15 year old Hasegawa kit and were headed for the bin until the miser in me kicked in, apart from needing a new bogus tail code due to some ill advised Daco Red all was well. Paint is Alclad and Mr Color as usual, along with my no hole magnetic stand. No aerial wires and pitot left off as this is a "to be posted" item but a personal one would have got some Uschi "rig that thing" fine that looks right in this scale. Only thing that needed effort were the guns which are Albion tube.

So number 12 for 2019 and 2 already for July, loving my build fever right now. As I can't get up any enthusiasm for building anything for the display cabinet, these  one-a-week builds are keeping my modelling skills honed til inspiration strikes me and I finish my 1/72 'Nam Spook thats been sat forlornly  since March. Mind you would be nice to finish  at least 25 1/72 airplanes this year.... WIP here:

And beauty shots here:

02port2.JPG

03port3.JPG

04top1.JPG

05under1.JPG

06detail1.JPG

07detail2.JPG

08top2.JPG

09stbd3.JPG

10stbd1.JPG

11front2.JPG

12dogfight1.jpg

01port1.JPG

Thanks for tuning in.

Cheers

Anil

• Like 38

Most excellent Anil.

3 minutes ago, azureglo said:
5 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Very nice.  Cockpit extremely shiny, how did you get that sorted ?

Cockpit shiny? No shots of the cockpit I can see...

Maybe he means the canopy :shrug:?

Stuart

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PLC1966 said:

Fair cop, and you earn the fiver 😉

If it's the canopy you are asking about, it's the same thing as everyone else uses, Future/Klear dip, then a final polish with WD40 on a cotton bud to remove any overspray, paint creep and mask glue.

A

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

Another great build from the production line, il have some of what you are having

1. Laphroaig quarter cask
  2. The Glenlivet 25
  3. Villa  Maria Sauvignon Blanc 
  4. Wolff Blass Yellow label Cabernet Sauvignon

Adjust dosage to requirements.

• Like 2

Just now, Bedders said:

Lovely job. No need for the aerial wire from cockpit to fin - 8th Air Force P-51s didn't use them.

Justin

Woohoo, I'm  accurate for a change! 

Cheers Justin

Anil

5 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Very nice.  Cockpit extremely shiny, how did you get that sorted ?

Y'know I never really look at these for sale jobs too hard but man even for me, that's a helluva shiny canopy, may have dropped some of my  Glenlivet 25 in there... Thanks for the compliment too.

A

47 minutes ago, azureglo said:

Y'know I never really look at these for sale jobs too hard but man even for me, that's a helluva shiny canopy, may have dropped some of my  Glenlivet 25 in there... Thanks for the compliment too.

A

The thing is clean canopies are one of those little things vital to pilots and this often seems to be forgotten.  Genuinely it is something that I struggle to sort, I had never heard of using WD40, will have to give it a go, certainly makes your great.  Have just started using the Perspex cleaner used on the BBMF Aircraft Canopies, but it is $50 a spray tin so I cannot keep using that (the stuff Is brill for Caravan windows and Motorbike plastic bodywork as well).  

Glenlivet 25 and Wolff Blass, two of the things that are secrets to an enjoyable life.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Courageous said:

What paint does it remove acrylic, enamel?

5. Jamesons

Stuart

And Tullamore Dew and the Clontarf Single malt, 'cos I live in Clontarf for decade, sady it turned out be a Jameson that was " badge engineered".

WD 40 in my  experience shifts pretty much everything, remember I use Mr Color, Mr Paint and Alclad exclusively plus Oramask 810 Tamiya tape and Tamiya sheet masks and the Oracal/Mr Montex have a brutal glue on them. Many moons ago it did this.

Amazingly it leaves Future/Klear alone?!!  And man does it make canopies super shiny as well as shift mask glue ...After 40 years of using the stuff I've decided it's pure alien  voodoo not just light oils in some naphtha type solvent.

45 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

The thing is clean canopies are one of those little things vital to pilots and this often seems to be forgotten.  Genuinely it is something that I struggle to sort, I had never heard of using WD40, will have to give it a go, certainly makes your great.  Have just started using the Perspex cleaner used on the BBMF Aircraft Canopies, but it is $50 a spray tin so I cannot keep using that (the stuff Is brill for Caravan windows and Motorbike plastic bodywork as well).  

Glenlivet 25 and Wolff Blass, two of the things that are secrets to an enjoyable life.

Hear hear, are you using Future/Klear though?  As its that and WD40 that do the wild shiny thing together. An interesting alternative is Autoglym Super Resin Polish polish that I used in this wee thing, it has to be done post paint of course or no paint will adhere, it's in my display cabinet and I have to say after two years its canopy is still  super shiny.

stbdcu.jpg&key=0bf70abcb53a1dca9a3a52b0b

Cheers

Anil

PS is the BBMF stuff this?

http://www.greygate.com/product/plastic-polish/

The guys at Duxford rant about it and apparently the Spitfire story is almost true, it was made for all WW2 perspex canopies...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, azureglo said:

And Tullamore Dew and the Clontarf Single malt, 'cos I live in Clontarf for decade, sady it turned out be a Jameson that was " badge engineered".

WD 40 in my  experience shifts pretty much everything, remember I use Mr Color, Mr Paint and Alclad exclusively plus Oramask 810 Tamiya tape and Tamiya sheet masks and the Oracal/Mr Montex have a brutal glue on them. Many moons ago it did this.

Amazingly it leaves Future/Klear alone?!!  And man does it make canopies super shiny as well as shift mask glue ...After 40 years of using the stuff I've decided it's pure alien  voodoo not just light oils in some naphtha type solvent.

Hear hear, are you using Future/Klear though?  As its that and WD40 that do the wild shiny thing together. An interesting alternative is Autoglym Super Resin Polish polish that I used in this wee thing, it has to be done post paint of course or no paint will adhere, it's in my display cabinet and I have to say after two years its canopy is still  super shiny.

stbdcu.jpg&key=0bf70abcb53a1dca9a3a52b0b

Cheers

Anil

PS is the BBMF stuff this?

http://www.greygate.com/product/plastic-polish/

The guys at Duxford rant about it and apparently the Spitfire story is almost true, it was made for all WW2 perspex canopies...

The stuff the BBMF used was https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plexus-Plastic-Cleaner-Protectant-Polish/dp/B01BD9ZWHW although the MoD did not buy from Amazon!!

Is good stuff but expensive.  

I am off to the modelling bench to try the Klear WD40 route.  Never thought or heard of using that before.  Like so many of these things in modelling, when pointed out it is an obvious product to use.

Cheers

PLC

• Like 1

17 hours ago, azureglo said:
  1. Laphroaig quarter cask
  2. The Glenlivet 25
  3. Villa  Maria Sauvignon Blanc 
  4. Wolff Blass Yellow label Cabernet Sauvignon

Adjust dosage to requirements.

Well 3 and 4 I can offer some help!

If you're shopping the Antipodes I would love to offer some Clare Valley Riesling as an alternative to NZ SAV B (or perhaps a refined Adelaide Hills white of multiple persuasions) and I would be happy to point the way toward any South Australian red that may just eclipse Wolfie Blass' Yellow Label Cab Sav as fine a drop as it may be

Oh....bye the way can't fault the beautifully clean build and lines of your latest effort :)

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 2

On 7/10/2019 at 2:21 PM, Adam Poultney said:

Lovely build!

Thank you Adam

On 7/10/2019 at 1:37 PM, Winenut said:

Well 3 and 4 I can offer some help!

If you're shopping the Antipodes I would love to offer some Clare Valley Riesling as an alternative to NZ SAV B (or perhaps a refined Adelaide Hills white of multiple persuasions) and I would be happy to point the way toward any South Australian red that may just eclipse Wolfie Blass' Yellow Label Cab Sav as fine a drop as it may be

Oh....bye the way can't fault the beautifully clean build and lines of your latest effort :)

Cheers

Bruce

Bruce in my in inexpert opinion virtually any Aus/NZ riesling makes the SV look like used dishwater : That said the British have some funny opinions about Riesling from their Blue Nun and Black Tower days  and when I offer anything like a Riesling the tend to screw up their faces, so I keep the SV as my house wine, that  and my local supermarket knocks them down to £72 for a case of 12 from time to time. Nuts to visitors it's time fer some Riesling action at Kumar Towers and I'll put some real bottled dishwater in the fridge for guests, they won't know the difference...

Anil

8 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

The stuff the BBMF used was https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plexus-Plastic-Cleaner-Protectant-Polish/dp/B01BD9ZWHW although the MoD did not buy from Amazon!!

Is good stuff but expensive.  

I am off to the modelling bench to try the Klear WD40 route.  Never thought or heard of using that before.  Like so many of these things in modelling, when pointed out it is an obvious product to use.

Cheers

PLC

Hmm something fishy going on here, both makers spin the same Spitfire story and both are recent companies set up post war- we may be dealing with a formula getting repackaged but at £25.96 a can I don't feel as pressing need to try it.

The WD40  tip came from here

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/maskingbmfds_1.htm

Now I hated the Bare Metal Foil bit, the stuff is just plain argggh, I wouldn't it recommend to my worst enemy and besides I make my own masks with a Cricut Air 2. But oy, when the WD 40 hit the canopy there was a pretty dramatic transformation and using the cocktail stick gently started removing paint that had crept under the mask. The Gunze matt top coats I use are totally impervious to WD40 but as I found,  so is Alclad Aqua gloss...

Anil

18 minutes ago, azureglo said:

id m something fishy going on here, both makers spin the same Spitfire story and both are recent companies set up post war- we may be dealing with a formula getting repackaged but at £25.96 a canI don't feel as pressing need to try it.

The WD40  tip came from here

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/maskingbmfds_1.htm

Now I hated the Bare Metal Foil; bit, the stuff is just plain argggh, I wouldn't it recommend to my worst enemy and besides I make my own masks with a Cricut Air 2. But oy, when the WD 40 hit the canopy there was a pretty dramatic transformation and using the cocktail stick gently started removing paint that had crept under the mask. The Gunze mat top coats I use are totally impervious to WD40 but as I found,  so is Alclad Aqua gloss...

Anil

I was running BBMF Logs at one point, I may not have paid a lot for it.....but I am seriously thinking about buying a can or two when mine runs out, just for my Caravan Windows if nothing else.  Brings them up lovely.  However the liquid you identified may well be getting a go as well.

Have had a play with WD40 this afternoon already.  Me likes it muchly !!!!  Thank you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

I was running BBMF Logs at one point, I may not have paid a lot for it.....but I am seriously thinking about buying a can or two when mine runs out, just for my Caravan Windows if nothing else.  Brings them up lovely.  However the liquid you identified may well be getting a go as well.

Have had a play with WD40 this afternoon already.  Me likes it muchly !!!!  Thank you.

Try not to admit owning a caravan openly here, I have a sneaking suspicion Mr May is a member and if he mentions it  to the Clarkson or the Hamster, we know what happens next...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, azureglo said:

Try not to admit owning a caravan openly here, I have a sneaking suspicion Mr May is a member and if he mentions it  to the Clarkson or the Hamster, we know what happens next...

Better not upset Clarkson, last time he got upset and started swinging he had to move TV channels...

Funnily enough before I got a Van I detested them, and when I get stuck behind a van now I moan like anything, but when I am out in my van I love it, trogging along at 55 watching the maniacs fly by, love it.

Funny old world really.

• Haha 1