Hobbycraft 1/48 Hawker Hurricane IIC "Night Intruder"

It was started in 2014.   After getting about 1/3 finished, I sat her aside for another project.    In early 2017, I resumed work on the model and around the end of February, I took her out to the Cameron airport for a photo session. I messed up the stretched sprue radio aerial loading the model up for the ride out there and just managed to get it back in some sort of shape, of course never as good as previously though. (Go figure…😐)

It’s painted with Testors 1/4oz. square bottle flat black, and faded with Humbrol dark gray 32 mostly, as well as a few other grays. I tried out a bit of oil-paint dot filtering on the lower engine cowls but the 45 year-old oil-paint and my lack of experience didn’t help.🤦‍♂️ The exhaust staining is Model Master intermediate blue, dirtied with pastel chalks. As always, I used my Paasche Model H, powered by CO2, for the airbrushing. I drybrushed the paint damage with Humbrol MetalCote unpolished aluminum and used a silver pencil here and there. The cockpit barely shows so I made seatbelts/harnesses from tape with home-made lead-wire buckles. The exhaust flame shields were made from Evergreen sheet.

Let’s see, gun barrels and exhausts were drilled, and tires sanded for a change, 😉. Lead wire brake lines were added with furnace tape clamps. I sanded down the wing light “lenses” and carved out a concave lens with my motor tool, filling that with silver. Overall, she turned out a pretty fair “four-footer” and looks good with her RAF warbird mates and sister Hawker planes in the display. But please, no more Hobbycraft kits for a while😜

sb%20midship.jpg

port%20full.jpg

wing%20root%20weathering%20close%20up.jp

port%20engine%20with%20flame%20shields.j

overhead%20good.jpg

port%20engine%20best.jpg

port%20full%20windsock%20good_1.jpg

port%20midship%20low%20angle%20good.jpg

sb%20from%20rear%20closer.jpg

sb%20engine%20close%20up.jpg

sb%20full%20best.jpg

sb%20full%20with%20hangar%20good.jpg

sb%20midship%20close%20good.jpg

sb%20full%20with%20hangar%20good.jpg

sb%20rear%20fuselage.jpg

sb%20from%20front%20good.jpg

port%20flank%20from%20rear_1.jpg

sb%20midship%20overhead.jpg

front%20good.jpg

port%20front%20good.jpg

Edited by Gary Brantley
d'oh!
  • Like 28

1 hour ago, RMCS said:

Fantastic 

Thanks! 🥃

52 minutes ago, russ c said:

Great looking Intruder Hurricane there Gary, good job on the black finish too!

Thanks russ!  😀

55 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Really good build Gary. Well made for a Hobby craft kit. The black paint work is well done. Thanks for the tips on that. I have several to do in the not too distant future. 

I appreciate that Greg!  Thanks so much.  Black is sort of tricky but you'll make good work of it I'm sure!  😀

11 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Excellent finish,looks great.

Many thanks steve!  Appreciate that! 🍺

That turned out very well for a..................Hobbycraft. I've got six under my belt with three more in the stash and one in the "may never be completed". I swear most of the builds contain more filler than plastic

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

That turned out very well for a..................Hobbycraft. I've got six under my belt with three more in the stash and one in the "may never be completed". I swear most of the builds contain more filler than plastic

Yeah, those Hobbycraft kits can be hit or miss; mostly miss, lol.  I've done the 1/48 Hobbycraft Hawker Sea Fury and it's not a bad kit.   I'll get it posted here too sooner or later.😉  Thanks for your comments!🍺

Great result Gary 👍

I enjoy seeing these golden oldies built up rather than languishing in the stash. Makes me want to start my old Monogram kit 😀

cheers Greg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Great result Gary 👍

I enjoy seeing these golden oldies built up rather than languishing in the stash. Makes me want to start my old Monogram kit 😀

cheers Greg

Thanks very much GREG! 🍺  Yeah, these old kits just take a bit of TLC and determination to turn out good four -footers. Hey, get that old kit dusted off and see what happens; just might find a jewel inside?!!?   Thanks again my friend!  😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very Smart!! I like that.

If I recall  having had one but never built it, it has some very strong , close likenesses to the original Airfix 1/48th kit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F-32 said:

Always loved that scheme, very cool

Thanks F-32!   Glad to hear you like it! 🍺

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

Very Smart!! I like that.

If I recall  having had one but never built it, it has some very strong , close likenesses to the original Airfix 1/48th kit.

Thank you Paul! 🥃 Could it be a descendant of that Airfix kit? 

1 hour ago, NorbertBu said:

Well done model, painting, weathering and photography! 

Thanks so much Norbert!  🍻 Sometimes I get lucky with one!

Very kind of you and thanks for commenting! 😀

13 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Thank you Paul! 🥃 Could it be a descendant of that Airfix kit? 

Very much so as I recall Obviously modified to make a Mark IIc but  a lot of it is noticeable.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...