How do you paint transparent objects?

notflip

43 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I cheat these days, A set of canopy masks from Eduard or Montex or similar is usually available. Failing that, make your own with Tamiya tape and a sharp knife.

Thanks for that, I suppose tamiya tape is better than my cheap diy store tape for cutting out complex masks? I'll order some online.

23 minutes ago, notflip said:

Thanks for that, I suppose tamiya tape is better than my cheap diy store tape for cutting out complex masks? I'll order some online.

Yes, it is. It's very flexible, so you can rub it down right into the angle between frame and window with a cocktail stick. You'll then find that as you angle the piece in the light that you can see really well where the cut line needs to be along the edge of the frame, because the tape is translucent. Use a very sharp, ideally new, pointed (#11) blade, and don't press too hard... you don't want to score the plastic if you can avoid it, just slice through the paper layer. Angle the tip of the blade into the V where the frame and window meet: if you try to use the frame as a "ruler" to cut along, it's too easy to drift and start carving the edge of the frame instead of cutting the tape. And if your Spitfire kit has some spare alternative windscreens for other versions that you're not going to use, practice on one of them first!

All the best,

Matt

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Yes, it is. It's very flexible, so you can rub it down right into the angle between frame and window with a cocktail stick. You'll then find that as you angle the piece in the light that you can see really well where the cut line needs to be along the edge of the frame, because the tape is translucent. Use a very sharp, ideally new, pointed (#11) blade, and don't press too hard... you don't want to score the plastic if you can avoid it, just slice through the paper layer. Angle the tip of the blade into the V where the frame and window meet: if you try to use the frame as a "ruler" to cut along, it's too easy to drift and start carving the edge of the frame instead of cutting the tape. And if your Spitfire kit has some spare alternative windscreens for other versions that you're not going to use, practice on one of them first!

All the best,

Matt

Perfect! Thanks for the advice

I just place Tamiya tape onto the area to be masked and press it down with a wooden cocktail stick into all the corners. Then with a sharp pencil I mark the frame area, then remove the piece of tape and cut the "mask" with sharp decal scissors. Next I re-apply the mask I've cut back onto the canopy...

• Like 1

Remove the transparency from the sprue, clean it up and dip it in Klear
408583167.jpg
and leave to dry.

Put Tamiya masking tape on the surface to be painted/sprayed
408583168.jpg

Burnish it down
408583169.jpg
a cocktail stick is useful for this, but any blunt instrument will do

Take a sharp scalpel (you may get away with a knife) and cut up to the edge of the canopy frame
408583170.jpg

Remove the excess tape
408583171.jpg

and its ready for paint
408583172.jpg

This method works just the same on more complex canopies
408583173.jpg

Just apply the paint
408583174.jpg
Leave to dry thoroughly before removing the tape

When dry, remove the masking tape
408603234.jpg
I use a scalpel to lift a corner
then peel back
408603237.jpg
408603238.jpg
408603239.jpg
408603240.jpg

• Like 1

following that nice photo tutorial, if you're using acrylic paint, if any paint got under the masks you can usually lightly scrape away the errant pick with a wooden toothpick. The toothpick is soft enough to not scratch the clear plastic. 

hi all .

I bought a roll of 15 mm wide White Maskin' tape made by MT (Japan ) in Manchester's BIG Craft Store  this May

This Tape sticks !..... is thinner than Tamiya and can be marked with a Pencil/Biro and easier to cut to shape.

......... even use the stuff on my  CANNON Printer Cartridge after a refill .

cheery "modellin'" mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

f

This subject has been done to death if you care to check out and search the forums...…………..heres just one of those topics and take note of post #16...………..its the post many of us use Paul Budzik.  Paul also is a member of Britmodeller and has many helpful tuturials on various topics on YouTube and his web site:-