You had one job . . . . . . .

Black Knight

What I liked most about this story is the yodelling festival in Mümliswil... it cant't get more swiss than that.

But I get guess an error like this could have happened to any air force. It just highlights the difficulties of navigation with fast jets.

• Like 7

What a hilarious story. I like the fact that the lack of GPS technology in the cockpit is mentioned. Whatever happened to being able to read a map and operate a (Swiss made) stopwatch as surely pilots were or are taught to do? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Couldn't blame them. Trying to find one tiny village in the Swiss Alps is like, as they say in Saving Private Ryan, trying to find a needle in a stack of needles.

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Couldn't blame them. Trying to find one tiny village in the Swiss Alps is like, as they say in Saving Private Ryan, trying to find a needle in a stack of needles.

I wonder whether the formation leader will have that taken into account at his annual appraisal? 

• Haha 1

You have to love “a Swiss version of the UK's Red Arrows or the US Blue Angels”, as though the Patrouille Suisse was a dodgy knock-off, like a fake Rolex …

Many years ago I missed my chance to see an F-15 in action when one was invited to the International Air Day at RAF St Mawgan.  All went well until matey arrived, when he performed a perfect display over RAF St Eval, which (i) was three miles north, (ii) by then was a radio station with no runways, and (iii) perhaps most importantly, was suffering a distinct absence of paying punters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Chocolate on the flight plan maybe?

anyone know if the “chronometer” that a Swiss aircraft has on its instrument panel has a wee cuckoo that pops out and makes cuckoo sounds?

6 hours ago, Latinbear said:

I wonder whether the formation leader will have that taken into account at his annual appraisal? 

The debrief should cover it 😉

• Haha 2

At least their planes are better looking than the Red's even if the basic air frame is even more ancient