Equipment of my Family.

Hello everyone.. I just had an idea for a group build. We have all had relatives that served in the military or in civilian service, or served ourselves. Im proposing a group build celebrating those relatives and family histories or your history. I recently built a tank (trainers group build) that my grandfather trained in. I had an uncle that was in both the RN and US Navy in WW2 and Korea. So long story short is if you have a Familial connection to the equipment you wish to model, including being a passenger in some cases. Maybe they flew on H.P.Hamdens. Maybe they served on H.M.S. Repulse. Or drove a Firefly in N.E. Europe. We should celebrate there service. Maybe they were Rescued by S.A.R. Or flown home on a Lancaster or B-17 after being liberated from a POW camp. Maybe it was a slow boat from India or Burma at the end of the war ? 

I wont discourage civilian types as well. If you had a great uncle that shoveled coal for a British railway. Or was a crewman in the Merchant marine. Maybe they are a hostess or steward on British Airways ? Maybe they are a fireman or law enforcement ? We should celebrate them all as well. So if you're interested please let me know ? 

1. Corsairfoxfouruncle

2. Helios16v

3. Ted

4. Zebra

5. Valkyrie

6. Jb65rams

7. Ray S

8. bigfoot

9. vppelt68

10. 825

11. JohnT

12b.

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

I'd be into this, one grandpa was a wireless operator in Halifax bombers in the Thunderbird squadron, the other was in the Highland Light Infantry.

• Like 2

Good idea - I’m interested. Don’t have a lot to choose from - whilst three of my grandparents served in WWII, I don’t know anything of any particular equipment they used (although one of them was a surgeon, maybe some 1/144 surgical tools!). But I do have a couple of options:

My Dad’s wife’s father (I know, not the easiest relationship to describe) revealed, late in his life, that he didn’t actually spend the war studying to be a teacher (which seemed a bit implausible anyway - doesn’t sound like a reserved occupation) but was actually in the SOE. His training included parachute jumps from Whitleys at Ringway, so there’s one option.

My other option is the Cranfield University Jetstream which is used to teach aeronautical engineering students - I had 4 flights in it about 25 years ago. This one’s my best option as I have the Amodel kit, which includes decals for one of the Cranfield aircraft (not sure if it’s actually the one I flew in though).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, zebra said:

was actually in the SOE. His training included parachute jumps from Whitleys at Ringway, so there’s one option.

That would be a good option. 

16 minutes ago, zebra said:

Cranfield University Jetstream which is used to teach aeronautical engineering students - I had 4 flights in it about 25 years ago. This one’s my best option as I have the Amodel kit, which includes decals for one of the Cranfield aircraft (not sure if it’s actually the one I flew in though).

If it looks like it I'm happy, I'm not a stickler for exact serial #'s so no need to worry about that. I have added you to the list. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Interesting GB idea!!! Great one Dennis. As well as the builds there will be a real story attached that you won’t get on any decal sheet or wiki etc...

I’ve often recounted on here when my grandfather was left behind at Dunkirk. He was making his way toward Cherbourg in cover of darkness and found a drinking trough in a field and whilst drinking from it became aware there was another person doing the same....it turned out to be his brother! They were later spotted by a Lysander and my papa made it home before his post card he had sent from Dunkirk when he first arrived! He finished the war fighting with the Chindits in Burma. I’ve always wanted to make a Lysander, il probably have zero way to know what Lysander was involved but a 1940 version in a larger scale and I’d give it to my dad and tell him the story, as I’m told I was the only one my grandfather told any stories to.

Please count me in. If you are looking for a wingman, bosuns mate, XO, I’d try to help out with hosting, if I can...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

I’ve always wanted to make a Lysander, il probably have zero way to know what Lysander was involved but a 1940 version in a larger scale and I’d give it to my dad and tell him the story, as I’m told I was the only one my grandfather told any stories to.

Exactly the type of build i was looking for. Ive gone and added you to the list. I was also the only one my grandpa told stories to. He told me it was because i was the only one interested in WW2. I suspect though it would have been very hard to tell his children as i know he suffered horribly after the war with PTSD. My grandma said he used to wake up screaming and fighting in bed until the late 1950's.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Exactly the type of build i was looking for. Ive gone and added you to the list. I was also the only one my grandpa told stories to. He told mevit was because i was the only one interested in WW2. I suspect though it would have been very hard to tell his children as i know he suffered horribly after the war with PTSD. My grandma said he used to wake up screaming and fighting in bed until the late 1950's.  

Great, thanks having me on board, wasn’t 100% sure it would qualify as he wasn’t flying the Lysander, but always needed something to make me make one of these for his story. Did have uncles in RN who flew Seakings and another who was in 22nd SAS. Also like to build a Westland Scout and gift it after he took me round some places in the spring there and gave me a couple of bits.

Yeah it must have been difficult to tell family the stories and we probably never heard most of it from them.

• Like 1

Interesting GB, I would be up for this.

My Grandfather served in the Royal Marines from 1912 to 1934. Going through some family paperwork last Christmas we found his service record with the ships he served on. This got me interested in a longterm project building some of these so have started researching /purchasing kits, so would be looking to build one of these. Discovered that Combrig has a really good range of cruiser & battleships from this period. 

Choice so far would be from HMS Exmouth, HMS Albion, HMS Cumberland, HMS Tiger and HMS Queen Elizabeth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Interesting GB, I would be up for this.

My Grandfather served in the Royal Marines from 1912 to 1934. Going through some family paperwork last Christmas we found his service record with the ships he served on. This got me interested in a longterm project building some of these

Exactly the kind of build I'm looking for. One that tells a personal story. I have added you to the list in the first post. 

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

What a great idea for a Group Build!

I would like to be put down (no, not THAT way!). My grandfather served on HMS Dreadnought in WWI as a stoker, then transferred to the submarine E-23 as he got a pay rise, but also had the pleasure of being attacked by American forces when they were surfaced at night recharging there batteries. The resultant crash dive cost him his hearing. I have a Combrig 1/700 resin Dreadnought and White Ensign etch, and @Bandsaw Steve has kindly sent me plans of the AE-1 (or AE-2) E-class submarine, so that might make me attempt scratchbuilding that one.

My Dad was in the RAF, he used to drive 3-tonner trucks in Egypt, so if I can find one of them (and afford it!) I could do that, or, failing that, we used to have a Morris 1000 so maybe Airfix would kindly tool one of them up especially for me to do for this as a 'civvie' entry.

If we can just select things we have sat in/flown in, that could include a VC-10 or a Brittania too. Plenty of choice though...

All the best, Ray

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray S said:

I have a Combrig 1/700 resin Dreadnought and White Ensign etch, and @Bandsaw Steve has kindly sent me plans of the AE-1 (or AE-2) E-class submarine, so that might make me attempt scratchbuilding that one.

Yes and I’m Waiting...waiting... waiting. 😜

Agree that this is a great idea for a group build! My dad drove vintage trams around Christchurch (NZ) for many years. Trams make beautiful, colourful and unusual subjects for models. I’m going to tackle one someday, but that could be years from now and it would take me at least a year to finish one so sadly I’ll have to pass up this group build.

Good luck with it though, I’m looking forward to watching! 👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Agree that this is a great idea for a group build! My dad drove vintage trams around Christchurch (NZ) for many years. Trams make beautiful, colourful and unusual subjects for models. I’m going to tackle one someday, but that could be years from now and it would take me at least a year to finish one so sadly I’ll have to pass up this group build.

Thank you for the compliment of the idea. Id love to see the Tram but agree it would take to long and deserves to be done properly, not rushed. If you find something else id love to have you in the build so let me know if that changes. 

Dennis

7 hours ago, Ray S said:

I would like to be put down (no, not THAT way!). My grandfather served on HMS Dreadnought in WWI as a stoker, then transferred to the submarine E-23 as he got a pay rise, but also had the pleasure of being attacked by American forces when they were surfaced at night recharging there batteries. The resultant crash dive cost him his hearing. I have a Combrig 1/700 resin Dreadnought and White Ensign etch, and @Bandsaw Steve has kindly sent me plans of the AE-1 (or AE-2) E-class submarine, so that might make me attempt scratchbuilding that one.

My Dad was in the RAF, he used to drive 3-tonner trucks in Egypt, so if I can find one of them (and afford it!) I could do that, or, failing that, we used to have a Morris 1000 so maybe Airfix would kindly tool one of them up especially for me to do for this as a 'civvie' entry.

If we can just select things we have sat in/flown in, that could include a VC-10 or a Brittania too. Plenty of choice though...

All the best, Ray

Many thanks on the compliment for the idea, i have added you to the list. I would love to see a ship or two in the build. Your Grandfathers services is duly saluted as is his sacrifice of hearing. Trucks would be great lets hope you can find one that wont cost you a mortgage. If you were only a passenger i think that might be slightly outside the scope of the build. However if you had worked for the airline or the Airport and were in constant contact with the airliners that would be acceptable. As Helios worked and served in the USN around the EA-6B's. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Just now, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If you were only a passenger i think that might be slightly outside the scope of the build. However if you had worked for the airline or the Airport and were in constant contact with the airliners that would be acceptable. As Helios worked and served in the USN around the EA-6B's. 

Dennis

No worries, I did not think that would really qualify. Let's just hope this gets the go-ahead. 

Cheers,

Ray

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2019 at 11:59 AM, Ray S said:

My Dad was in the RAF, he used to drive 3-tonner trucks in Egypt, so if I can find one of them (and afford it!) I could do that,

I have just been searching and found this!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/air-graphics-models-mv-1003-bedford-rl-gs-truck--1196415

That is the type he drove, so it looks like I might have two (possibly three with the scratchbuild sub) I can do. Wonder when this will be issued. And what colours would the RL have been in Egypt?

Really looking forward to this now,

Ray

PS - It is out now, at £38. Might have to think about that a while...

Edited by Ray S
Found extra info
  • Like 1

My father served in Lancasters, but I've already modelled his aircraft... though I could do another. Postwar, he was an air traffic controller at RAAF Williamtown, NSW, where he much resented the antics and irreverence of the fighter squadrons based there.  My great uncle was killed at Bullecourt in 1917, I'd like to do a World War One diorama but I'm not so sure the circumstances lend themselves to a very attractive modelling subject. 🤔

• Like 1

Hello Peter, id like to salute your father's & great uncle's service and sacrifice. Hmm maybe a model of your Father's control tower ? Or possibly a sister aircraft from his squadron ? Maybe an aircraft he trained in ? Should I add you as a tentative, no obligation of course. 

Dennis

Just visited the RCAF museum in Trenton, Ontario to see their restored Halifax and a temporary display about Grandpa's squadron, 426. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My grandfather was a Churchill driver although don’t believe he ever made it to Europe as the war ended before he was transferred. Lost the hearing in one ear from the Co-drivers MG firing next to his ear. Unfortunately he passed way when I was 10 so I never heard his tale properly. I’d have to do some research as to what unit he served with. My other grandfather that I know a lot more about served with 6 royal welsh fusiliers in NWE through the battle of the bulge, reichswald and Rhine crossing before being wounded. I have a diorama planned in dedication to him but it would be too much to take on in a GB at the speed I work. I may build a Churchill for this once I figure out a unit.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 09/08/2019 at 01:37, Bandsaw Steve said:

Hi Steve, Have you sorted out a tram plan yet? Quite a number at Whiteman Park to choose from, and a local modeller they may have a contact for, but I do not have a contact for him. Select a plan and I may be able to help with detail, and a very nice model of Carpathia that you made, congratulations.

• Thanks 1