AVI Fox Moth build

A few in progress shots of one of my current builds going on.  The new AVI kit to 1/72nd. Nice kit, a little economic with interior detail but suffice for such a small model.

57AOLR.jpg

note the 'strap' across the bottom of the doors to each half. These need to be cut away as can be seen on one half.
qKgwMM.jpg

Basic pilots quarters.

h6n4BJ.jpg

General view of the sub assemblies. On the left the upper half of the upper wing fuel tank waiting to be fitted. And on the right a glimpse of the forward facing cabin seat and door.
d0rpMD.jpg

Fuselage joind up and being readied for the engine unit.
oghaD4.jpg

At facing front seat in passenger section. Only one seat but I think real ones were four seaters in this compartment... but probably did vary.

Holes for rigging pre drilled by me in readiness.

• Like 8

A bit of a progress report. Assembly and painting progressing.

gj6Ibc.jpg

3ZyWLd.jpg

vjTGIV.jpg

VxNk3s.jpg

X8bXE8.jpg

The little V struts need some tiny bit of trimming for them o locate properly to top wing I found during a test run.  Needing to add the chrome trims to the side windoe framing before the top wing goes on and all that rigging and struttery.

• Like 7

Yep Definitely 1/72 Mike. Quite close to the Tiger Moth  in size if one takes in to account the fuselage difference. Nice little kit. 

Going to use the struts and undercart as patterns to rebuild my Aeroclub one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

Quite close to the Tiger Moth  in size if one takes in to account the fuselage difference. Nice little kit. 

So it should be.......they have the same wings 🙂

• Like 1

A little more done and close to the finish.

NQr92Y.jpg

ZAIXaC.jpg

The openings for the wheel spats need opening up a fair bit so they can fit over the leg/axle join. Rigging wasn't to difficult to do.  Cutting all or any of the struts from the sprue needs care to avoid breaking. Also I found that two of the main wing struts are about 1.mm too short but just fit in the rear positions. the front ones are fine. Tried them the other way but stilll didn't quite work. The 'V' struts between the cabane 'N' struts need trimming and splaying out a tad so they fit.  It would probably be better to make new ones from brass such as the hard to find 'Strutz' that Aeroclub did.

The orange paint is acrylic by mixing some Testors orange ( from those sachets) and a few drops of yellow. This mix gave me a close match to images of the real aeroplane found on the net. Funny really as nearly all the images show varying shades of orange due to probably lighting at time picture was taken or other reasons.

All I need do to add a bit more interest is to add the fold away jury struts at the wing root forward corners. These struts were telescopic and put to use when the wings were folded.

Next pics on RFI pages.

• Like 6

Nice build Paul, I've got a couple of these on my radar. I've seen the end result in your RFI & while its not enough to put me off it, I can't help thinking the engine cowl has a bit much "chin".

Steve

Cheers Steve,  I do see what you mean. I have had thoughts about it too but It might be due to the 'wide angle' effect of the photo I find it a bit annoying when taking pics of my builds

• Like 1