Ilyushin Il-38SD Indian Navy Eastern Express 1:144

I bought this kit while I was Looking for some more useable Propellers for the Il-18 by AZ model.

It is the Il-38N by Eastern Express. With a more sophisticated Radar the Aircraft is called Il-38SD, used by the Russian and Indian Navy. These two Options can be built out of the kit. 

spacer.png

I put a lot of small lead balls into the front part, but because of the very Long aft part of the Aircraft it wouldn't stand on ist feet. The original Aircraft is supported by a rod on the Ground when it is not yet refuelled. So I used the same tool here.

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

The Propellers wouldn't turn as supplied by the kit. So I tried to improve them by using some brass tube. Well, it didn't work out as planned...two of them are now working, but I had to fix the other ones in order to align them .

spacer.png

Edited by NorbertBu

There is not much dirt on these aircraft. Some pictures show a matte surface, but more actual ones show a very shiny surface, which makes more sense for a maritime Aircraft.

So I only applied a little bit of black chalk on the tail wing, because they are exposed to the exhausts of the inner engines. 

To mark some lines, I used a water based pen, which can be wiped with your finger.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by NorbertBu
  • Like 1

The kit by Eastern Express is well detailed and the decals are superb!  The bigger windows are supplied as plastic parts, but the wouldn't fit ...of course! So I used Kristal Kleer for them. The smaller windows are decals. I mixed the Colour by using Revell Aqua Colours 371 and 49 in equal parts. The small White antennas had to be made from Scratch.

Some (actually...a lot of) sanding is of course required. But now there is a very unusual looking aircraft in my shelf.

cheers,

Norbert

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by NorbertBu
  • Like 11