New Member from the USA

mdauben

Hi all!

I'm just getting back into plastic modeling, with a special interest in post WWII jet fighters.

I've been doing a lot of web surfing looking for reviews and info about different aircraft, and it seems whenever I did a search, Britmodeller.com would show up in the first 5-10 links.  So, after seeing how much knowledge can be found here, I decided I should go ahead and join!  

I look forward to joining the community.  😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello  :post1: from Chicago. Do you have a specific favorite ? There are quite a few experten here and you will learn who they're pretty quick. If you need any help just do this @Corsairfoxfouruncle And you will get my attention. If i can help i will if not i will try to at least send you in a good direction. 

Dennis

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Do you have a specific favorite ? 

I'd say its a toss up between the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter and the Convair F-106 Delta Dart for my favorite jet fighter.   Both are just very interesting in their own way and I'm planning to put together a model of both of them at some point.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You cant go wrong with a Century series aircraft. Haven't been able to get a 106 since i came back to modeling, but have done a few 104's. 

I've been looking for a good F-104 in 1/72 scale, but have not picked one yet.  I want to do the plane in USAF markings and bare metal finish, and it seems most of the kits I found came with either German or Japanese markings.  I know I can find aftermarket decals, but I though the Luftwaffe model at least was a different version than the one(s) used by the USAF (not sure about the JASDF fighter model?).

Italeri does a good 104C so does Hasegawa. Those will probably be your best bet for early 104's in NMF. Hasegawa is most likely your best option for the later G or two seat D. The G is essentially the same as a Japanese J. The Japanese license built the G as the J in Japan. Your only issue is ejection seats. It depends on exactly which model and when it existed. If you build the early models A-G they had an lockheed ejection seat. Later those changed to a Martin Baker seat on the D's/G's/J's/S's. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Italeri does a good 104C so does Hasegawa. Those will probably be your best bet for early 104's in NMF. Hasegawa is most likely your best option for the later G or two seat D. The G is essentially the same as a Japanese J. The Japanese license built the G as the J in Japan. Your only issue is ejection seats. It depends on exactly which model and when it existed. If you build the early models A-G they had an lockheed ejection seat. Later those changed to a Martin Baker seat on the D's/G's/J's/S's. 

Thanks for the info!

I'd read more than one opinion that Hasegawa did the best 1/72 F-104 so I was focusing my search on that brand.  Did  make an F-104C in 1/72 though?  I can find a few C variants in 1/48 for sale, but all the 1/72 Hasegawa kits I can find seem to be either G or J variants.

The Italeri F-104 A/C kit looks promising, though!  I may be adding one to my modeling queue!   😉

8 minutes ago, mdauben said:

Did  make an F-104C in 1/72 though

My deepest apologies sir I thought they had but having a look at the scalemates page.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-01001-f-104j-starfighter--135624

After re-reading it shows me they are all late model 104's in 1/72nd scale. I guess that leaves Italeri, however this link shows everything starfighter in 1/72nd scale. I might have missed something. 

https://www.scalemates.com/products/reviews.php?scale=1%3A72&topic=Lockheed+F-104+Starfighter

Dennis

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlackAck said:

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the hobby.  Do you have anything you're building at the moment?

Thanks!  I have not actually started anything yet, but I do have a couple kits "in transit"!

The only local hobby store closed a couple years ago so I'm mainly limited to online sales, and it seems like all the models I'm interested in are only available from the Tokyo or Hong Kong!  🙄

Have you found Cybermodeler yet ? Its a good resource for reviews of kits, marking/painting guides, and walkarounds. Its not 100% current or accurate in every aircraft. As far as the models go sometimes they don't get new kits to review. The reviews usually include good descriptions and photo's of the box contents such as sprues and decals. It also has good links to other pages in the aircraft sections. 

https://www.cybermodeler.com/resource1.shtml

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

2 hours ago, mdauben said:

Thanks!  I have not actually started anything yet, but I do have a couple kits "in transit"!

The only local hobby store closed a couple years ago so I'm mainly limited to online sales, and it seems like all the models I'm interested in are only available from the Tokyo or Hong Kong!  🙄

You could probably pickup an older tooling, relatively inexpensive, jet kit to practice on to refresh your skills. (In the US, Hobby Lobby and Michaels craft stores/art supplies have jet kits dating from the 1980s as well as glue and paint)

18 hours ago, BlackAck said:

You could probably pickup an older tooling, relatively inexpensive, jet kit to practice on to refresh your skills. (In the US, Hobby Lobby and Michaels craft stores/art supplies have jet kits dating from the 1980s as well as glue and paint)

Thanks for the suggestions.  😀

I've got most of the paint and hobby supplies I need (while I've been away from traditional plastic model kits for a long time, I've done quite a bit of wargaming over the years and there is a lot of overlap in the hobbies).  Also, I live in an apartment so I've got limited space to store and display my models.  I'd hate to spend my time putting together a cheap kit just for practice, and then have to bin it because I need the room for my "real" models.  😉

Anyway, the first of the models I ordered just arrived yesterday, so I've got something to get started on whenever I'm ready.

Edited by mdauben
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 7:09 PM, mdauben said:

Hi all!

I'm just getting back into plastic modeling, with a special interest in post WWII jet fighters.

I've been doing a lot of web surfing looking for reviews and info about different aircraft, and it seems whenever I did a search, Britmodeller.com would show up in the first 5-10 links.  So, after seeing how much knowledge can be found here, I decided I should go ahead and join!  

I look forward to joining the community.  😁

Welcome!

Similar for me in that every Google search for advice took me here!

Forum is a goldmine for advice.

• Like 1

Welcome from beautiful Cleveland, OH! 

Regarding display space, you may want to take a look at IKEA. They have a case that is used by many around here, you can get it for about $60, and it doesn’t take up too much space. It’s called “Detolf”.

Also, for places to get kits, try spruebrothers.com. Top notch site. 

Edited by RadMax8
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 3:20 PM, RadMax8 said:

Regarding display space, you may want to take a look at IKEA. They have a case that is used by many around here, you can get it for about $60, and it doesn’t take up too much space. It’s called “Detolf”.

I think I know the case you are talking about, and I was considering picking one up.  Even though they are small, I'd have a hard time finding room for more than one of them in my apartment, so there is still a limit on how many planes I can display at once.