F193 Lysander Mk.I/III

John

I'm not going to make too many promises about this one, but I just came across the Eastern Express boxing of this kit while I was in the garage doing something else.

John

• Like 7

Great stuff - another one I never got my hands on.

I think I tended to build the Airfix kit if there was one, and my local newsagents always had far more of the Airfix stuff in as well - very little Frog merchandise.

• Like 1

Hi John,

Nice one. As I recall the Airfix Lizzie was the first kit I built (if you don't count the Golden Hind which my mother did most of). This GB is getting ever closer to the Airfix GB of last year - I know I said it would probably not beat the total of that build but for once I will be happy to be proved wrong! I guess it has proved that Pat and Co were right to start this build as there is a considerable amount of interest/nostalgia involved and rather more kits out there than I would have ever expected.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PeterB said:

I guess it has proved that Pat and Co were right to start this build as there is a considerable amount of interest/nostalgia involved and rather more kits out there than I would have ever expected.

Thanks Peter,

But this GB has always been very much a team effort, the co-hosts and I are just here to give the illusion that things are actually organised :giggle:

Great to see this one join the GB. I think I have the Novo version if anyone is interested, having made the Airfix one many moons ago I doubt I'll build it.

Good luck John and very well done on finding another piece of the Frog jigsaw down the back of the sofa !

cheers Pat

• Like 3

Yes, another great addition so thanks for throwing this one into the mix @John. I must admit, I’ve always loved the Matchbox kit and am still searching for another one at a decent price - alas can never seem to find one! 

Now we are still way off 157 (Airfix GB) builds, however we may have already surpassed the amount of aircraft kits built in one GB? I must do a count back. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

This is what came out of a Maplins bag in the garage:

Lizzie1

Lizzie2

Lizzie3

Lizzie4

It is, as we say in this part of the world, mingin'. It's also not complete in that half an undercarriage leg spat and the 2 spies are missing. I'm not too bothered about the spies as I'll be doing a BEF MkI, and half the spat isn't a difficult thing to replicate.  The transfers are useless and I have no idea where the instructions are.

Looks like fun.

First things first, into the bath and drying off:

Lizzie5

John

• Like 10

Looks like a couple of spiders just lost their home!

Always loved modelling the Lysander, but haven't done the Frog one, just Airfix and Matchbox.

• Like 1

Those decals are interesting and after seeing the quality of Eastern Express’ efforts on my Whittle do understand where you’re coming from. I’ve always thought that Matchbox offering was always the best in 1/72, however perhaps I should try to track one of these down should the opportunity present itself. 

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with Lizzie. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John

Have you been brave enough to start this one yet ?

I would imagine the spares box would yield the correct decals.

Pop a request on the wanted section here on BM and you may get those missing parts.

Good luck

Cheers Pat

There's only so many hours in a day 😁

I've given it a check over and put the interior parts together but the priority for now is to complete the earlier starts 

John 

• Like 1

I'm not too happy with the Eastern Express moulding but I really want a Lysander now, so I invested a few bawbees with King Kit:

Lizzie6

Lizzie7

Much better, Crisper and with better transparencies.

Watch this space.

John

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Cool! :popcorn:

What did Frog did with the rear cockpit? The Gavia/Eduard 1/48 kit didn't do anything special beyond adding the boarding ladder, extra lube oil tank, and external fuel tank.

BTW, there look to be useful plans in Best of Wylam Book 1; they're in the 2nd PDF, pages 58-61.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi John

Sorry I missed you swapping the dodgy repro lysander for a genuine frog one 

Have you started it yet ?

Cheers Pat 

Nope.

I've nearly completed the Macchi and the Bf109 and have a bit more to do to the Spitfire and the Meteor. When the first 2 are finished I'll start on this and my new Yak-3.

John

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Cool! :popcorn:

What did Frog did with the rear cockpit? The Gavia/Eduard 1/48 kit didn't do anything special beyond adding the boarding ladder, extra lube oil tank, and external fuel tank.

BTW, there look to be useful plans in Best of Wylam Book 1; they're in the 2nd PDF, pages 58-61.

The rear cockpit is essentially a shelf with moulded ammo drums and a Vickers VGO on a stand. There's not much there but it's better than Airfix managed.  The glazing is one piece so not too much is going to be seen.

John

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2019 at 20:51, John said:

Patience, young Skywalker. It'll be popping up to say hello shortly...

🙂

John

Come on John, stop being such a tease, what's happening with the Lysander  ?

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1