Supermarine S6 racing seaplane.

stevej60

Hi Folk's,a plane I've wanted to build for years but never managed to do,it was the first kit that came to mind when this GB came about but if you can find

one they are usually silly prices as is Airfix's offering,anyway I was looking at King Kit and remembered Eastern Express re popped some Frog molds

and lo and behold up she popped so now winging its way North so this is definitely my last entry well there was a certain Kit being sold for £5:99 (which

can't be very good) so I took a punt on it and we'll see what turns up!

est72257

• Like 8

Of course Steve, splendid selection. Can you tell me what B&W movie you’ve been thinking about, can’t say I know it, which I’m kinda embarrassed about. 

Cheers and thanks for adding to your impressive list so far.. Dave

• Like 2

Great choice - my own Airfix build is residing on the shelf of doom.

I think the Frog one is regarded as more accurate, and I think the moulds have fared better, though they are both ancient.

It will be interesting to see what shape the plastic is in - looking forward to seeing some pics!

• Like 1

Excellent! Also looking forward to seeing how it looks. But you keep on choosing all the great kits, I'll have to find something after my Hase/Frog Harrier!

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

silly prices as is Airfix's offering

I've got the Airfix S6b kit in the limited edition collectors tin, along with the Spitfire (75/70th anniversary). I was going to make it at some point (along with the rest... :think:). So are you telling me it's too rare/expensive to make? And that I'll have to find another one?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Of course Steve, splendid selection. Can you tell me what B&W movie you’ve been thinking about, can’t say I know it, which I’m kinda embarrassed about. 

Cheers and thanks for adding to your impressive list so far.. Dave

Cheer's Dave,First of the Few with David Niven starring Leslie Howard as R J Mitchell got the DVD for £2 at one of those refurbed DVD/CD outlets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Excellent! Also looking forward to seeing how it looks. But you keep on choosing all the great kits, I'll have to find something after my Hase/Frog Harrier!

I've got the Airfix S6b kit in the limited edition collectors tin, along with the Spitfire (75/70th anniversary). I was going to make it at some point (along with the rest... :think:). So are you telling me it's too rare/expensive to make? And that I'll have to find another one?

I get my pre owned stuff from King Kit Charlie,they do tend to be very sensible with their pricing,the eighties boxing however is around £20 for Airfix's kit,

£40 for an early bagged kit e-bay prices can be double that.Your collectors tin is around £30 but personally I would keep that intact.

• Like 1

When I built the Airfix one I was surprised how nicely it turned out, given how basic it was. The FROG kit looks much better on the sprues so hopefully you will have a nice time of it.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

I get my pre owned stuff from King Kit Charlie,they do tend to be very sensible with their pricing,the eighties boxing however is around £20 for Airfix's kit,

£40 for an early bagged kit e-bay prices can be double that.Your collectors tin is around £30 but personally I would keep that intact

I will keep it intact. But I will have to find another.

I'd not heard of King Kit before I joined this GB. They seem very reasonable, this will add to the stash! :rolleyes:

I'm getting a lot out of this GB and going back to some basic modelling routes.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I will keep it intact. But I will have to find another.

I'd not heard of King Kit before I joined this GB. They seem very reasonable, this will add to the stash! :rolleyes:

I'm getting a lot out of this GB and going back to some basic modelling routes.

To be honest 99% of my project's are done in these GB's Charlie,the classic kit themed ones get you building stuff you probably

would not bother with and usually end up pleasantly surprised.

• Like 4

Good to see this one join the GB @stevej60 - another Trailblazer off the list. This was on my possible build list but I will now look for alternatives. I think we only have the DH Comet and Bleriot to go from Trailblazers. Not forgetting the R-100. 

• Like 2

A lot of the Frog kits on e-bay seem to be in the states, and whilst the prices can be reasonable, and extra £12 or so for postage makes them expensive. Wonder how so many ended up across the water?

Never seen the Frog Bleriot so I can't be certain but contrary to what somebody (Pat?) said elsewhere rigging, the wings should be easy. However, the rear fuselage "boom" could be another matter, depending on exactly how Frog moulded it. I remember having fun with my Revell DH2, using stretched spre to put in the cross braces.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

The Bleriot is of its time. The wings look the part but the fuselage looks like it was made with 4x4's. It still builds OK but a good build would take a bit of work.

The original came with a bit of green felt like fabric to sit the finished model on. Another FROG first I think.

Tony.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

The original came with a bit of green felt like fabric to sit the finished model on.

And a Flag Pole too with now what seems to be the French Flag

7895936834_66a1bda0e1_h.jpg  

7895944412_732e3b31dc_h.jpg

although at the time when my Brother got the Kit (one reason why it doesn't still exist today he didn't care for Kits after he built them!) I thought it was meant to represent a Golf Green complete with Flag in the Pin!  

Edited by Rob S
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Thanks Steve,

I had actually looked on the site but for some reason I did not see it! Must get some new reading specs. It is actually more complicated than I expected, compared with say the Eindekker, but at least there are no decals to worry about! I suppose it would be possible to reduce the thickness of the fuselage "struts" but I would not like to try it - probably easier to scratch build the frames.

Hi Folk's,well I've been fortunate so far in respect of the pretty easy builds for this GB especially seeing some of the trials and tribulations

some of you have had to endure,this looks my turn for a challenge,its old and very basic but I cant see any problems in the construction but

we'll see! Box and sprues.

20190712_104456

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Evening folks,after a lot of trimming,sanding cursing and swearing happily a decent result so far. 

Sounds like a typical modelling session to me Steve and quite appropriate for this GB I would think! Your efforts seem to be paying off so I’d keep cursing and swearing until this ones finished. You might not be popular around the house but I’m sure the family will understand!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

You might not be popular around the house but I’m sure the family will understand!! 

They're used to me now Dave! It only took an hour to get this far to be honest  it was mainly flash and molding flaws.