1/72 SH F-86H build review?

Plumbum

I know there is a discussion on a new "how to fix" the Special Hobby 1/72 F-86H.

What I need is a build review showing the existing boo boos. I read the one at

Modelling Madness and it's kinda vague, mentions the lack of location for the

exhaust, something about the rear wall behind the seat not in the right location

and the instrument panel being out of location. That and somewhere else I read

of the level attitude where as the F-86H was more nose up when static. I have the

kit in hand and already figured the drop tanks are at station 118, 30 mm from the wing

root to the center of the pylon and if used the wing fence is 40 mm from the wing root

to the center of the fence. I guess these dimensions are right. Did anyone do any kind

of build review outside of Modelling Madness? Thanks for any help.---John

Hello John... This thread might have your answers it was started about a month ago.

I will follow this thread in case you get some answers. Im looking to build an Hog some day so anything i can learn will help. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

@Johnv If you've managed to secure an authentic, accurate 3-view of the H-model you'd be ahead of us. Of those that have been seen, none are accurate, save the outline drawing posted by @Sabrejet. The shape certainly has issues and the "sit" is definetly wrong. The odd thing about the H-model is that in some photographs the shape and sit look okay but in the majority of cases they do not. In my case, I wanted to address  the canopy and so I used a spare from a Hasegawa F-86D, gving me an open canopy. I added the vortice vanes too. It is a shame because the kit goes together very well.

Martin

• Like 2

Thanks, so what is the deal with building this as is. I read of the rear cockpit

wall not locating correctly and if you put it in the wrong location it moves the

seat forward forcing the instrument panel not to fit. Also there are issues with

the canopy not fitting good? I also read where the nose gear well interferes with the

intake trunking? These are all things I have heard but never building one I have no

idea whats going on. The build review I did read doesn't really address these issues.

This is the information I am looking for---a build review with basic fixes.---John

• Like 1

I built mine as is, and as @RidgeRunner states, it builds fine. here it is with an Avon Sabre and then a Canadair Sabre 4, for comparison.

20180503_093247 20190604_135926

Judge for yourself if you think it looks like a Hog? I guess it does, but there are things to my eye that aren't quite right, especially around the nose area.

If we could locate a decent set of plans then we would have something to measure the Special Hobby offering against, and make corrections accordingly.

That is the main reason I started the original thread which you referred to @Johnv, as I was aware it wasn't quite 100% and wanted to understand that more, and how to fix it.

Terry

• Like 2

Cool. So there are no problems with the rear wall, seat, IP, nose gear well

and intake trunking. I can just build it as the instructions show. Good to

hear that. I will just follow SH's simple and easy to follow instructions. NICE

build by the way!---John

• Like 2

I built the ANG boxing BUT I did not correct any of the kit shortcomings as 1) I was not aware there were any at the time and 2) I trusted the 3D drawings found in Steve Ginter's "Air Force Legends" series, n°212 (which apparently I shouldn't have🙂)

However I located the drop tanks position thanks to this drawing and the info found on Sabrejet's post about Sabre versions elsewhere in this forum.

Kit assemble fairly well given a bit of care - there are no positioning  lugs.

I had no problems aligning the intake trunk / cockpit / etc; it's always try, see how it goes, adjust if needed, and go carefully.

The jet pipe on the other hand IS an issue- it unglued itself several times, I was lucky to be able to coax it back in position. In hindsight, a few small plastic stops would have been a good idea.

Wing trailing edges need a good sanding to make them thinner and more to scale.
Seat should have be glued a bit higher (compare with the photos of the actual plane), and cries for details - in fact, it doesn't look much like the real one, even with the PE added (and for example pay attention to how the shoulder harness are positioned on the real plane, nothing to do with what the instructions would make you believe!)

Horizontal tailplanes have no positive location, extra care needed there.

And by the way, if you want to add the PE vortex generators do it before gluing the tailplanes. Afterwards it's near impossible (guess how I know...)

Drop tanks miss the vertical surfaces on their fins - I can't be 100% sure as I have not done extensive researchs, but at least on the photos I found they existed.
Decals are extremely fragile except for the small ones. A coat of Liquid Decal Film may help?

So here's my effort - Not a great built I know, I could have done better. My original idea was the MASS ANG scheme - I managed to destroy the fuselage bands and had to revert to NY ANG scheme which meant respraying a camo to replace the initial aluminium finish.
f86h-c10.jpg

Edited by Hamster Volant
  • Like 3

Thanks for the tips HV, it sounds similar to the 3 Hobbycraft F-86s I've built. If I can

find the SH MASS ANG decals I plan to coat them with Testors Decal Bonder to keep

them from shattering, know that heart ache all too well. I finally got the right process

to build Hobbycraft Sabres, just hope I can get it to come out as good as the last one,

an F-86E with dropped slats.---John

AFUIfLS.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Johnv said:

Cool. So there are no problems with the rear wall, seat, IP, nose gear well

and intake trunking. I can just build it as the instructions show. Good to

hear that. I will just follow SH's simple and easy to follow instructions. ---John

Well, like any model, not without challenges (as I recall over 3 years ago) but none were that bad at all for a competent modeller.

Terry

3 hours ago, Hamster Volant said:

So here's my effort - Not a great built I know, I could have done better. My original idea was the MASS ANG scheme - I managed to destroy the fuselage bands and had to revert to NY ANG scheme which meant respraying a camo to replace the initial aluminium finish.
f86h-c10.jpg

That looks good to me!

Terry

2 hours ago, Johnv said:

just hope I can get it to come out as good as the last one,

an F-86E with dropped slats.---John

AFUIfLS.jpg

That one looks pretty good to me sir!

Terry

Doesn't The Special Hobby ANG kit have NY ANG? 

One day, when I get my future builds set in my mind, I ‘ll be doing a MD ANG machine, with nose art :).

Martin

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Doesn't The Special Hobby ANG kit have NY ANG? 

One day, when I get my future builds set in my mind, I ‘ll be doing a MD ANG machine, with nose art :).

Martin

It has.

But 72nd scale.

And I understand Corsairfoxfouruncle is intrested in a 48th scale Hog.

• Like 1