Sd.Kfz.415 conversion from Panzer Concepts

Fascinated by the big 88 guns and their equipment I ran into this conversion a while a go. It is all resin with very delicate details, partly 3D printed material, but overall a very rare subject. 

You will need a Büssing NAG 4500A for this conversion. I purchased a Büssing NAG 4500A with the Bilstein 3tons Crane. The chassis is important to do this conversion. You will see that from the pictures. 

Now what does a Sd.Kfz.415 look like:

spacer.png

Like this. This is a captured piece. The Sd.Kfz.415 was designed to support and carry the Telemeter KDO Mod. 40. The bodywork covers a Büssing NAG L4500A. There is also a version based on the Sd.Kfz.7 by the way. 

Some detail:

spacer.png

This one is real beaten up. As long it was a Büssing NAG with A, which stands for All rad, a Büssing NAG L500A would also fit.

spacer.png

Look at the back of the truck and you see the different build up comparing to the 4500A version. These trucks carried the communication and electrical equipment for a 4 piece 88 battery.

spacer.png

This one will be my subject for the build.

spacer.png

So when there is inspiration, there is at least a build. 

spacer.png

The chassis you need. This was a second time, know where the problems are, did not learn, build of a chassis(after 2 beers) was quite ok. The air tanks are really bad, rest was done in a jiffy.

spacer.png

Maybe the exhaust will cause a problem. there is a second option, the version that goes all to the back, see how it works.

spacer.png

I had a IBG Büssing NAG L4500A planned for this conversion. The chunky chassis has gone back into the box, waiting for some other project. If you look at the grace of this molding form AFV Club, for me it was the right choice.

The Resin. You love it or hate it. Cleaning and fit issues keep a lot of modelers away from this material. Over the years I learned some lesson. Paying to much money for absolute crap.(e.g.) But todays market does not allow that anymore, so this kit is really top notch. I will show more detailed pictures of the parts later on.

I glued the floor and seats together today. Rest is all dry fitted with some basic scraping and sanding to see how it all goes.spacer.png

spacer.png 

spacer.png
 spacer.png

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Edited by Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast
Wrong word
  • Like 12

This is a very interesting build of a very interesting subject. I never knew about this vehicle before but now will follow your build with great interest.

The resin parts seems to be pretty decent so far. And don't worry about the chassis, few flaws there could be always covered with mud.

I think the vehicle caught my attention about one maybe two years ago. There is not much information, pictures are very hard to find. Panzer Concepts shared some reference material and of course the Büssing L500A version was what I wanted, seeing the pictures. Real groovy beast of a truck. Büssing L4500A looks more sophisticated IMHO. Reason I changed to AFV Club is simply for the chassis and interior detail that is outstanding. Engine is a little gem and with the manual for the truck I'm able to detail even more on what I did with the Büssing L4500S. 

This certainly is not a quick weekend build, but having the resin parts glued over the next week, it really motivates to give it a go. The love and hate with resin, start the cleaning, fitting is always the big hurdle, ones finished it looks superb. 

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

• Like 2

That resin does look good Robert Jan, looks like the parts fit quite well, does it add a lot of weight also will the axles be able to withstand the extra weight.

will look forward to your updates.

Regards

Richard 

Hello all, thanks for looking in. Resin is quite heavy and the chassis is somewhat fragile. I did not build the axles yet but I tested the AFV Club  Büssing L4500S with a full load of resin.spacer.png

The kit is almost twice the weight now. Even with adding resin wheels, replacing the rubber wheels, there is no problem. I was afraid the connection resin and plastic would be to weak, so I reinforced the axles with metal pins just to be sure.

Will do the same with this build. Big plus, I know the weak spots of the AFV kit by now.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Edited by Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast
  • Like 3

A little progress on the Sd.Kfz.415. after dry fitting the floor plate of cabin I glued the bench in place. Cushion is still dry fit because it need a lot texture. Also the pins for the pedals are glued in place. It's raining cats and dogs now. I hope for the weekend it gets better so I can add a primer and do some airbrushing. Sides and floor fit really well now, just some little spots to take care off.
Floor plate, dry fit with the bench glued on.
spacer.png
Cushion, dry fit and pins for the pedals glued.

spacer.png

More to come later this week.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

• Like 6

Found some time to work on the body work of the Sd.Kfz.415.
After a little bit of shaving and sanding I first applied a little coat of fine surface primer. Next task was to reinforce the area of the back fenders to fit the cabinets.
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png 

Still needs some attention because there is a little warping on the back. Will fix that with hot water. Goes also for the fire wall. Think I will replace the part with styrene, as it is an important reference to fit the conversion correct. See how that goes and where it ends later this week.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan    

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. Due to some serious health problems I got hospitalized about 2 weeks ago now. After surgery one week ago it's getting better every day. But modeling will get on a hold for long time. I have to learn walking again with my right foot as it did not react anymore before surgery. That will take some time.

Medication will help me, but most important is a good rest to get it all set. I will update on my health and keep following all the great build on this great site.

Bye for now,

Robert Jan 

• Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Thought I'd give a little update on my getting well soon. Just when you think...hey we are getting somewhere...I can walk again (be it for short distance), my doctors decided on a draw back(they pulled my big toe nail out, just to keep me on the couch for at least another 3 months. Your healing process will benefit from this he said. 

So today after one week of pain, healing seems to hurt a lot, I had my second checkup in Bangkok, (location where the did the surgery), another draw back. 

Possibly additional surgery, but hey...first we make a CT Scan, due October 18 and after that we will decide.

Well, I hope Christmas 2020 will be a good one.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Projects... I did some work on the big resin block today. It was shelved for a while, could not decide which truck to use as a donor. I had the AFV Club prepared and also the IBG offering. Day before yesterday decision was made.
IBG for chassis with details from AFV Club. A lot comes from future spares, the kit provides double grille and engine hood sides. 2 versions of the fenders included. AFV Club can be build as from the original kit, with some fine details which I found after a little research on the net today. So... Boom! All projects got a kick and we're back in business.
Rubbers on the rims, wrong grille from IBG. It should have 11 horizontal strips, I count 10. dry fit with engine hood and sides, the grille is too small. So I cut it off again.
 spacer.png
Made front wheels steerable.
Back of the truck. Steam - Clamps - Superglue - Fit. Dry fit of doors.
 spacer.png
New grille ready to install. 
I have to make engine hood (top) from scratch, the IBG part is way too small.
More later, this turns out to be a scratch building project for a major part of the kit. 
Back to the Front!

Kind regards,

Robert Jan  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Thanks for the concerns about my health, really appreciated. I'm feeling fine at the moment, as I can do my work having my daily rhythm back. Still a long way to go though. Medicine makes this happen, but that's not the way for me I hope. All modeling has taken other priorities. Doing little jobs here and there. Having fun at my bench because that's what it's all about.

Will come back with this build soon, having some new insights and ideas to fix this resin monster (NO FUN)

Kind regards,

Robert Jan 

• Like 1