First compressor purchased

whiskey

So I finally bit the bullet and ordered my first compressor. The funny bit is that I'll finally be able to use the Iwata HP-CS airbrush I bought 2.5 years ago with it. 

Anyway I bought the Iwata Ninja Jet air compressor. I figured that will be a decent starter, and hopefully nothing I can't handle. Is there anyone with experience with this model out there that can share some pointers, tips, things to avoid, etc.? I'd appreciate it.

Retired now, but I was a spray-painter for too long, in the aviation and defence industries. I can't help you much with your compressor, (I have a 25 cu.ft. industrial compressor that manages to pump enough air for the air-brush!) - but 2 thoughts. 1- Iwata is to spray equipment what Tamiya is to modelling, and 2- Read the Instructions!!  Good luck , good choice!

• Haha 1

Expensive but nicely made little unit, I was teaching a film make up artist how to use this and her Custom micron a few weekends ago with water & alcohol thinned makeup. Its sweet spot is 12-20 PSI and spraying bursts of longer that 30 seconds sees a drop in pressure at the gun of 2-5 PSI so should be fine for most general modelling. Bin the cheap plastic hose and get a decent one, preferably transparent, from Paul @little-cars . As it has no gauge regulator and water trap, think about getting one.

As a modelling compressor its on the bottom of most peoples list as its very expensive for what it is , has very few features, i.e no air tank, proper gauge regulator or moisture traps, all of which can be had on a compressor for £80--150 which is its UK selling price. The plus points are that its "made" by Iwata and like everything they sell, it has very high QA & QC so your great grandchildren will be probably be using it.

Its forte is its size and portability and it's the workhorse of movie and fashion make-up artists, if you decide to go to a larger scale, railways etc and want use something like an Iwata RG3 or HP-TH, it will shrivel up and die, but TBH for most basic  to advanced modelling it should be fine with your HP-CS. Within an hour I was getting her to spray 0.5-1mm solid hairlines, mottling etc with nothing more than tweaking the +/- knob so I'd happily use it if not for the fact I have a dedicated spray room and a production line going with the odd guitar body thrown every few weeks.  It's also terribly noisy , so save the packing foam and use that as silencing mat, you'll be amazed how much quieter it becomes.

FWIW when I was researching compressors three years ago this  the 4 piston oil less job shown below  came at top of many folks lists near or level with the Sil Air jobs and set me back £130 delivered, is whisper quiet ( about the same as my American style fridge) can spray continuously at 15-30 PSI for an hour, and drives proper Iwata spray guns if needed. It gets used for at least 1-2 hours every single day and hasn't missed a beat in the years. That said its made in China where QA & QC are probably thought of as some obscure foreign religion  that has long died out.

roomb2.jpg&key=ac7ccf1984498d5a7bb4d7796

Mazel tov,

Anil

• Like 1

Thanks for the detail Anil, duly noted. I picked it up "used" but it's still new, the previous owner used it twice before deciding it wasn't for him. I think I bought basically because of the sweet price that I got it for ($80usd). I've already got my eyes set on a much, much better one that is extremely affordable so I may just turn around and sell this.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 11:02 PM, whiskey said:

Thanks for the detail Anil, duly noted. I picked it up "used" but it's still new, the previous owner used it twice before deciding it wasn't for him. I think I bought basically because of the sweet price that I got it for ($80usd). I've already got my eyes set on a much, much better one that is extremely affordable so I may just turn around and sell this.

Good move, makeup artists et al will usually snap up the Tam if you price it right. Many, many folks here use this "As186" type that seems to be manufactured in the millions. Mine is 10 years old and my backup as well powering my H&S air blower in the main work room. They've been upgraded with a fan on the piston unit,  are maintenance free and if you get one that works out of the box, it's probably gonna last as long as you. It has a tank, gauge  regulator and moisture trap: Comes in endless brand names with our without 10 buck airbrushes that usually never work. Mine is quieter than my 4 piston brute can do pretty much everything it does except drive spray guns.

https://www.amazon.com/ZENY-Airbrush-Compressor-Multipurpose-Tattoo/dp/B01M33C8MV/ref=sr_1_18?crid=CBATXFRV4IJ&keywords=airbrush+kit&qid=1562845310&s=gateway&sprefix=airbr%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-18

Mazel Tov!

Anil