Results of a Dark Blue used by the Luftwaffe

JPuente54

I was laid up due to illness some months ago; so, haven't read what may have happened with this. Last year there was a claim that the Luftwaffe had a Dark Blue a an upper color for a couple of Ju88 and/or Do 217 wings the the Med. area.. I believe Michael Uhlman(Uhlmann) had done some of the  research to show this in one or two articles etc.. My friend Walt did read, but hasn't sent me a copy of these. A thread was covering all this and, of course, can't find it now. Has anyone been able to follow this? I believe that a paint company has produced the color with an RLM number etc.(not sure which company). I do remember someone asking @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies his reaction. and, I do remember some of the comments. TIA

Joe

Thanks, there may be more but, this helps much. The name of the model paint company is mentioned, too. I believe they offered as a individual color as well  as a set of paints for an area covered by the Luftwaffe. Any more information is also welcome. thanks @Work In Progress!

• Like 1

Hi,

Jürgen Kiroff has given me his latest colour data for RLM83 which is indeed a very dark blue. This was supplied through Mr Vallejo who doesn't run Vallejo but AK Interactive, who offer it in their recent Realcolor range.

I'm probably not going to bother making it because other than a handful of people who just want to own a tin of it, I really don't think much will ever be used on models. I should however complicate the description of our existing product by explaining what it is and when to use it, before some helpful chap emails me to tell me I'm wrong.

• Like 4

This is not meant as serious evidence, one way or another, but the original factory built versions of the FROG Penguin Do17 were sold in a dark blue finish. Wartime issue and all.

IMG-3343.jpg

Probably no connection at all to the subject being discussed here, but an interesting footnote nonetheless.

Tony.

• Like 3

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies, until until one or two men are able to confirm/show/etc. the wings/group(s)/squadrons that used RLM 83 Dunklelblau in their scheme; and the pattern for the colors involved; I can understand your reluctance. But it sure would be a different scheme at model show.

I can well understand Jamie's reluctance in terms of limited sales, but as far as an example of an aircraft in this scheme is required, you only need to look as far as the Italeri Ju88 which represents an aircraft that made a landing in Switzerland en route to Italy.  IIRC Italeri hadn't read the reports and made an inaccurate estimate at the base colour.  It seems that the RAF intelligence report that describes such aircraft found in an Italian airfield scrapyard did not go as far as individual markings.   I assume that in the absence of such in references.  However it can't be difficult to track down anti-shipping Ju88 units in Italy at this stage, and b7w photos do exist.

Edited by Graham Boak

You make a good point; unfortunately, I have not the ability to do this kind of research due to lack of mobility(no car at present) and illness. That's why I mentioned about others. I can get the AK Interactive line here in the USA; Kitlinx in offers it here(USA), I saw it offered when I searched for their(AK Interactive) sets of WW2 Japanese paints for the IJN and the IJAAAF(which I found). RLM 83 was offered as a single color, and as part of a set for the Med. Acrylic paints are fine; but I do prefer enamels. So, would love a tin or two from Jamie. But, I do understand why he isn't about to offer it.

Joe

I've looked online at the AK RLM83, and it is indeed very dark.  I suspect it would weather considerably in service, so in the absence of a good enamel I would start with a dark blue (RLM 25, for example, but others would do) and mix with Extra Dark Sea Grey, to taste.  

There is a series of photos of an 2.(F)123 Ju88 T-1 in "Der Adler mit dem Fernrohr" by Rabeder, Ommert and Schlee, p. 240f, depicting the plane being stripped of the factory fresh paint and then repainted in "dark blue" (no RLM number given) on upper surfaces. Lowers were supposedly in RLM 65. Code was 4U+QK in black only, the plane had the unit insignia and a light colored lightning symbol on the nose.

I will try to post photos later.

Richard

• Like 1

I found this, The fuselage code is apparently 4U+GK, as seen the forum where I found it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Luka
extra picture linked
  • Like 1

• Mike changed the title to Results of a Dark Blue used by the Luftwaffe

The colour image shown above is a reconnaissance Ju 88D of the (F)/123 in the Mediterranean theatre circa 1943 when the unit painted some of its aircraft in an overall pale blue colour for over water operations.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

21 hours ago, Richard502 said:

@SafetyDad: how do I post photos that are NOT hosted online? 

Richard

P.S.: I can always send them per e mail

Hi Richard

thanks for the reply. I can now see the pictures in the link to the Hyperscale discussion - thanks for the email offer. Much appreciated :)

SD

15 hours ago, tango98 said:

The colour image shown above is a reconnaissance Ju 88D of the (F)/123 in the Mediterranean theatre circa 1943 when the unit painted some of its aircraft in an overall pale blue colour for over water operations.

Light blue would be a very unusual camouflage to choose specifically for maritime operations, where dark colours are considered more suitable, in the Mediterranean as well as elsewhere.    A darker upper-surface colour would normally be chosen for concealment when viewed from above, whether over sea or land.   Despite introducing problems of concealment when on the ground, over-painting a 70/71 upper-surface scheme would indeed be appropriate for a high altitude operations and I believe an overall light blue - ie 76 at this period - was not unique on Ju.88Ds.