1/48 Hasegawa Arado 234-Now in Completed Section

On 7/17/2019 at 10:20 PM, mustang1989 said:

. From there I filled the huge lip that was on the top of the fuselage to cockpit join

Hi !

Is it problem with Hasegawa kit or Aires resin?

Great work so far!

• Like 1

Thanks exdraken and cema_ga!

cema_ga: I feel like it's mostly a Hasegawa problem. The Aires cockpit is one of the best fitting pieces I've seen yet and I've done a few of their sets. I really dislike the whole nose installation thing with this kit especially with the nose part of the landing gear being incorporated into it but hey, I worked around it the best I could. If you've got one of these and you're going to build it then make SURE that the fit between the fuselage and the glass nose is flush.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It took me a loooong while to get the wheels down on this puppy. One of the inherent weaknesses of this kit lies in the main landing gear. Really flimsy parts and allow excessive "wobble" when loaded with the weight of the aircraft. I fixed this by putting a hidden shim between each main landing gear strut and the fuselage opening for the gear bays. I just cut a small square piece of styrene and slipped it between the strut and the rear bay wall. Can't even see it but it worked like a charm in making the main gear ALOT more sturdy. Gear doors have to be painted and installed and some touch ups are needed on the gear after gluing into place as well as a little weathering on the tires but the wheels are now down.

Folks I never thought I'd get this far with this plane. I consider it a small milestone in getting back to aircraft building as it was really hard to break away from the automotive stuff but I'm feel like I'm finally getting back in the groove to where I can at least have an aircraft build going while working on the auto subjects.

N E wayz…..Today's update:

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 9

20 hours ago, Thom216 said:

One year per gear! And that rhymes. :wink:

It's a good looking build. Real nice on the cockpit and paint. Now that engine!

That'll be the last thing I tack on this build Thom. It's coming though.

I'm down to the REALLY short list on getting the base aircraft finished so I can move on to the engine assembly and detailing. Only a few things left like main gear doors and struts, aerial antenna, painting the rivets on the cockpit framing and installing the pitot tube. I mean I've got a little clean up to do here and there but this part of the build is just about to a close. Really stoked about displaying the engine though.

Overall, I've got some mixed feelings about this kit here because of fit issues but mostly because it has now moved into the most difficult kit that I've ever built category. Just really don't care for it even though it's supposed to be the best 234 kit out there. No worries however, I'm saddling up and moving forward and have learned a lot from this build.

Here's where we're at now...…….close.....real close.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

On 10/20/2019 at 8:47 PM, mustang1989 said:

It took me a loooong while to get the wheels down on this puppy

Great built, Sir!

Boy do I hate it when the manufacturers come up with crappy landing gear* on a great kit! I followed Hasegawa's instructions and tried to install the lg after closing the fuselage: had a lot of fun, which serves me right for not thinking ahead.

*Trimaster/Dragon FW190 and Me 262 are of that breed.

Richard

• Like 2

Thanks you guys.

Richard: I've not worked with a bad landing gear yet until this one. I mean it wasn't too awful bad but it was a bit wobbly on her legs without the reinforcement. 

This morning saw the finish of the aerial antenna and I'm currently working on those painting those 2000 screw heads on the cockpit framing.

spacer.png

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Good job on those screw heads. Are you using the old hairy stick, or something else? I found these to be very helpful for jobs like that:

https://www.amazon.com/10PCS-Dotting-Embossing-Stylus-Painting/dp/B07BQMMZJP/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3EKL2ZLDMCN1E&keywords=nail+dotting+tool&qid=1571920155&sprefix=Nail+dot%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-4

Thank you so very much for not only the kudos but also the link as well. I'll be ordering up a set of those TODAY!!!!! I used a toothpick which in looking back only wished I would've had or known about the option that you've provided here. Thanks Bill. You sir......are da MAN!!!

Ok folks....the main body of the build is now completed after dulling the screw head shine down. I'll be starting on the engine assembly and painting next. I've been doing my research so as to build as accurate of a 004 as possible. Stay tuned:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

I started up on the engine paint up this morning. I have really come to like these macro shots as I use them as a tool to go back and fix certain things that either I miss or made a mistake on. Found a couple of areas that need some attention in the shot below. Anyways....after a base coat, a very light wash just to bring the details out and a little bit of detail painting this is the latest progress:

spacer.png

• Like 4

Thanks Adam. 

Got some work done to the nose and exhaust sections as well as continued wear effects. I'll be installing this after that and I'll be posting the completed pictures pretty soon. Thanks for following along, commenting and for the "likes" so far everybody.

spacer.png

• Like 3