Britten- Norman Islander (1/48)

Latest off the bench is the Valom kit of the Islander, in the markings of HM Coastguard.

The kit is along the lines of a Special Hobby offering. Needs a lot of work and the basic colour of the plastic (beige) does not help. The decals are from the kit and are "thin" to say the least.

I did fill the nose with lead believe it or not but it seems happier dragging it's bum.

please feel free to comment etc.

Thanks for looking

Dick

DPP_00001

DPP_00002

DPP_00003

DPP_00004

DPP_00005

• Like 39

I really like your build. Now I’m the last one to nit pick but that nose wheel looks like it’s a Hercules MLG!. Is it correct(ish).

Steve.

58 minutes ago, speedy said:

I really like your build. Now I’m the last one to nit pick but that nose wheel looks like it’s a Hercules MLG!. Is it correct(ish).

Steve.

It's wot came in the kit ………………… who am I to argue :wacko::whistle:

Edited by jenko
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well done 👍 I had problems with this kit too and despite huge amounts of lead it is still a tail sitter. 

And believe it or not the nose wheel is correct for the type (spent 3 years droning around in one) 

• Like 4

Very nice build. Not my subject matter at all but I have fond memories of Islanders at Ringway and Barton back in the 70’s. Front undercarriage looks just like an Islander. Seem to remember some outfit started a daily service between Manchester and Barrow. From memory it didn’t last long. Nice model

First pictures of one I have seen finished. Looks grand! I bought one from 26 with no decals planning to do mine from the antipodes.

Just one thing, the nose shape looks quite pointy and tapered though, making that nose leg look gangly. More than it ought to be I think Will have to study mine against decent pics.

• 3 weeks later...

I was excited for this kit when it first popped up in The Rumourmonger, and builds like this don't help my ever-weakening resistance to buying a copy. Your Islander is eyecatching and the scheme is crisp and very nicely done!

That's a beautiful finish Dick great job on a difficult kit,what is it about BN Islander kits and coloured plastic? I seem to remember building

Airfix's kit in bright yellow.

Many thanks for your kind comments and for reviving this post :D

Recommendation ….. do not attempt this kit if you are eating a bar of Cadbury's Caramac   …….. they are the same colour :doh:

They could taste the same :whistle:

Dick

Edited by jenko
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Mark said:

Good morning Dick! I've been quiet, I know...

Blimmy Mark :analintruder:   I thought you had gone into hibernation.  :sleeping:

Good to see you back...……...…… while you're here can we interest you in a few models ???

Dick