mainmast_11.jpg

In Hood's 1939 refit the 30ft gig position was modified to permanent 27ft whaler positions (AOTS Hood). I noticed there are a few ropes running  from the end of the boat deck towards the whalers (A); these ropes plus pulleys remain visible until the end of Hood's career (D) when a small stump mast appeared as well (F). Looking closely at images of the boat deck I also found that a rope is running from the whaler position back to the derrick of the main mast (B); I could not find a good picture showing if it is the same rope as at (A). A system of two blocks was placed on the aft of the boat deck and the system is tied up somewhere out of sight between the skylights (C).

mainmast_12.jpg

While scanning my trusty McDermaid &; Manual of Seamanship I found the above images in the latter with a few examples of block variations (there are many others, see  this HNSA page). It appears when a rope goes back and forth between two blocks it's called a purchase when that number is even and a luff when that number is odd. So that would mean in the image above our mystery cable is a luff plus a separate block running the rope towards the skylights (I wonder how long it will take a modeller of a man-o-war to master instantly naming a hoisting system correctly).

mainmast_13.jpg

Stump masts, ropes, blocks and  pulleys are not uncommon near davits as this sketch shows throwing me further of track. But, if you want to lower I boat then one might think that the block should be much farther away from the davits or you don't have enough rope left to lower your boat; both in this sketch and aboard HMS Hood the layout is meant to hoist something in.

mainmast_14.jpg%22

The drawings of the main mast do not show any other lines other than the lift & purchase lines plus a thrice line---an additional line when hoisting a boat in that is used to pull the ring of the boat's sling over the hook---- but that is not a line that would require a system of blocks. Note that the cabling layout for the hook is called a (single?) purchase and not a(n inverted) double whip, but soit.

mainmast_15.jpg

I later found the rope in action in this clip where the crew is lowering a boat; this rope is not meant to do any hoisting itself and appears to be merely a side guy meant to control the lateral movement of the main derrick itself. I'm now fairly certain that in the top images ropes A and B are the same.

mainmast_16.jpg

That leaves the stump mast; I think it was added simply the clear the 4" turret when working the derrick and is not related to the davits at all. I estimated its height at 8 feet based on railing height and a side view showing the top of the mast.

davits_04.jpg

The stump mast image top left shows a single lug, a studless shackle and a pulley. The lugs & shackles were made using the same methods as detailed in the post /Ground Tackle part I, top-right showing two small lugs and four rings held in position using take and a 0.2mm drill (on which the solder doesn't hold which is very convenient). The small tripod was soldered into place using a small jig made from MDF and tape. A tiny bit of reheating was enough to fix the small angled supports with a tiny bit of CA to prevent  the lug and the shackle  falling to pieces. The pulley was made from 0.5 and 0.7mm discs punched from 0.13mm styrene.

• Like 11
  • Confused 1

Hi Evert

I'd agree with your assessment for the use of A & B, they're the block & tackles and the guy lines for slewing the main mast derrick.

AOTS HMS Hood dwg F4 item 8 shackles for working guys shows where the two guys are attached to the free end of the derrick

The guys themselves and the rigging arrangement for them isn't shown, partly, I believe, because they were only rigged when the derrick was in use, they'd be in the way at other times.

The film you linked to shows the fixed blocks for the tackle are attached by hooks and strops (ie temporary) to permanent eyes and shackles at the deck edge.

The running block will be detachable from the guy line (B) most likely shackled, the other end of the guy being shackled to the free end of the derrick, with the guy line running through the snatch block on top of the stump mast to give the proper lead and clearance above the deck furniture - the block and tackle will run in a straight line, but the guy line from the stump mast to derrick arm will move in an arc as the derrick swings and will therefore need clearance to operate.

I'm pretty sure the top photo shows the guys being rigged, the port (right hand) one is fully rigged. block and tackle A laid out and attached to the guy which runs forward in line with it at deck level (unfortunately disappearing just out of picture) It then returns at a high level B over the boats and disappears behind the funnel to the derrick

The stbd (left hand) side appears to be only partly rigged, the block and tackle A is again laid out and attached to the guy which can be seen running in line on the deck from behind the 4" gun to behind the ready use petrol tanks, but doesn't reappear running to the derrick.

For this arrangement to work there needs to be a snatch block in the vicinity of the petrol tanks to get the correct lead on the derrick - it's unfortunate that the port side is cropped off here as I think this would show the arrangement - the guy line disappears off the edge of the photo at deck level and reappears above head height. It could be argued this is just because it's draped over the petrol tanks, but there has to be a block in this area, and logic would have this at an elevated position to give a clear operating arc. There is no sign of this on the stbd side so I would suggest that as the block & tackle and guy line were removable, the stump mast and snatch block were also removable. Aft of the petrol tanks there appears to be some coiled rope (derrick guy?) with a couple of caps on top, and possibly part of the stump mast lying on deck inboard of it.

The stump mast presence in the later photos below may indicate it's position wasn't in the way of other operations and it was left rigged or permanently positioned.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It would indeed seem that these guys were not attached most of the time, and only one when needed, as in the above images. It's already quite clear that it's running over the boats. The two luffs are only missing very early in her career and are there even when the 4" guns are firing.

I had a good look at the petrol tank and if I could spot anything. The best image is this one and I do not see anything near the tank, only an eye near the night life buoy and the guy itself directly running to the main derrick.

obxqcsn69dcws17lna7u.jpg

The stump mast appears after 1939, after a refit. I assume after the first batch of 4in guns were placed they found out that working the main derrick became more difficult and added it.

Edited by foeth
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, foeth said:

The best image is this one and I do not see anything near the tank, only an eye near the night life buoy and the guy itself directly running to the main derrick.

Yes, an eye plate at the deck edge immediately forward of the night lifebuoy with the swivel and snatch block attached to it at deck level. 

The guy line appears to run awfully close to the petrol tank (different style to the pair in the photo above), they'd need to be careful when slewing the derrick, you can see why a stump mast would be desirable.

• Like 2

This is a bit of work from just before my audio project that ran over eight months or so and not work done in the last week... Minor overlap with previous images above...

Shelterdeck_14.jpg

Various eyebrows and details were added next. There's a small je-ne-sais-quoi on the bulkhead, and a similar pair against the bridge superstructure (top left). It might be a pulley to pull up the awning, but I've not been able to find an image where this part is actually used. A small cover over the vent opening was added as well. A number of small vents and the supports for the ladders will added at the last minute; too worried they may break off during handling.

Shelterdeck_15.jpg

A number of aerial trunks is present, given in full in the AOTS, section F (rig), with each group running to a separate W/T office. An auxiliary W/T aerial runs from the top starfish to a trunk near the conning tower; this trunk as a small ladder (top left images). The main aerial and main auxiliary trunks are situated near the main mast; I managed to find only a few images that shows them both (top right images). The main trunk is a fair bit larger and is a open cylindrical structure with an access hatch seen open (outer top right). A third trunk is present just aft of the searchlight platform; according to the AOTS this trunk was added in 1937 and runs to the second W/T office (bottom-left images). The bottom right image shows the original position of this aerial trunk at the aft end of the shelterdeck, but it was moved aft when the pompom bandstand was added.

Shelterdeck_16.jpg

I found images of various aerial trunks on other ships with a larger trunk aboard HMS Prince of Wales, and a few smaller trunks aboard a destroyer and HMS Rodney.  A fair estimate was made to create the parts using my lathe (which was really fun to do).

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 2:57 PM, foeth said:

This is a bit of work from just before my audio project that ran over eight months or so and not work done in the last week... Minor overlap with previous images above...

Shelterdeck_14.jpg

Looks very chunky - probably too chunky to be for pure awning purposes, though the juxtaposition with the awning lashing rail thingy might argue the other way.  It looks more like the base for a shear leg or similar, but in an extremely odd position.   In short, I’m baffled… but your build continues to fascinate with your attention to detail.  [If only Ark Royal were as well covered in detail photos!] 

• Like 5

The two sentences I mutter most while researching my build are "I do not have enough books" and "I do not have enough photographs" :) But fortunately Hood was very well photographed, even though the number of images from 1940-41 are scarce (I will probably never start a Japanese project!). But indeed, this particular object remains unknown. There are plenty derrick supports on deck and the rail should be enough to get the awning in place.... I'll just wait until an image explaining its use pops up; in my experience the universe will do that once it is too late to change the model, probably after painting. :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Thanks Pete!

Last week I was in a particularly foul mood and broke my one rule: do not replace existing Hood parts. I destroyed---DESTROYED---all the support beams below the shelter deck and carefully put them back, one by one. The slightly larger and perforated beam show up in only one image (at the expansion joint, just in front of that brass beam, still needs to be added) but I was playing with the new milling machine and was having so much fun I added a few more (because why not).

One smaller strip is visible where all small pillars will end up against; a second strip will be added later.  More detail will follow later (hammock rails). Also note that at right I did not add the smaller strips outboard of the main longitudinal beam next to that smaller superstructure section, as you cannot see those and I was feeling lazy. 🤔

meanwhile.jpg

• Like 10

Hmmm...... Looks like I may need to take a second look at my shelter deck. I don't have those perforated beams. Must redo that. Luckily the deck is still being worked on and not even close to being glued down yet. This will be a very interesting section, thank you EJ :thumbsup: Regards, Pete

• Like 1

I know of only one beam that is perforated --- the one not yet added --- and the rest is fantasy :)

cats2.jpg

By the looks of it, that's the beam near the expansion joint... cannot see the rest very well, plus, only visible for people who inspect the model via nanodrone.. But it is very good that someone thought: need to photograph that perforated beam and of course a cat blocked that image....

But the entire girder system that I added seems to be quite ok.

• Like 3

tr200-68.jpg

This image from the Hood association from a recently found album of HMS Hood (1940-1941) shows the region below the shelter deck best and formed the main source of information. Not exactly sure what's in the top-right corner of the image but the rest is accounted for...

47 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

That's gorgeous. I'm wondering how to prevent anyone from ever being able to look up at the deck head to avoid having to replicate this on my own. :D

You could ban the use of inspection mirrors, close to your model Jamie!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, foeth said:

I know of only one beam that is perforated --- the one not yet added --- and the rest is fantasy :)

cats2.jpg

By the looks of it, that's the beam near the expansion joint... cannot see the rest very well, plus, only visible for people who inspect the model via nanodrone.. But it is very good that someone thought: need to photograph that perforated beam and of course a cat blocked that image....

But the entire girder system that I added seems to be quite ok.

Since the cat covered the beam in the photo, I suggest doing the same on the model :giggle:

• Like 1

Done!

Shelterdeck_12.jpg

@europapete: strange, I get the image on my laptop, PC and phone... Anyway, the Hood association allowed me to use the image (small size) for a blog post later...

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On 2/28/2022 at 3:51 PM, foeth said:

tr200-68.jpg

This image from the Hood association from a recently found album of HMS Hood (1940-1941) shows the region below the shelter deck best and formed the main source of information. Not exactly sure what's in the top-right corner of the image but the rest is accounted for...

Top right; danbuoy?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, foeth said:

Ah thanks, certainly looks like it! (Never heard of those...). More detail to add :)

large_000000.jpg

large_000000.jpg

large_000000.jpg

Forgive my ignorance. What is this thing?🤓