According to the paint charts that should be close to Humbrol 244? (I like enamels, thanks for offering to MM version!)  But I do not know what the exact shade should be, relying on Dick/Jamie here?

50ft_07.jpg

Meanwhile, I found that strip near the waterline on Renown's picket as well and updated the image...

• Like 4

For the blue? Oxford Blue immediately comes to mind, although I've never noticed anything written down about that.

My 1916 "The Ship Painter's Handbook" by G.S. Welch says:

"Blue Boat, Outside - Rub down the outside of the boat with pumice-stone and water and then give one coat of dark lead colour. Next give one coat of Egyptian blue mixed with turpentine and jap. gold size. Finish with copal varnish and a little Egyptian blue mixed, or use blue enamel."

I'm conscious that's a few decades out here. I'd probably still use something like Oxford Blue for this.

Edit: Having read back the previous page you're obviously asking about Peacock & Buchan's anti-fouling grey. I think the short answer is "No, we don't know for sure" but taking guidance from builder's models which do survive and judging the tone compared to Home Fleet Grey, I've been recommending a dark neutral grey. In fact I've been suggesting US Navy 5-D Dark Gray for this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got to be over a year or so since I last caught up with this.  The only word I can think of is wow!  The level of detail is incredible.

I was especially interested in your wake animations.  Like a few on here, I have spent a lot of my working life at sea and throughout all of that time looking at the effect of the hull on the sea had never realised that the angle of the wake from the bow is the same regardless of speed until I left the Navy and started working in industry where we have a number of hydrodynamicists.  And in conversations with them, they said that the angle was always 19 deg which is what I have used ever since in my seascapes.  Yet I think you said 39 deg which is a huge difference and the animations don't look to be that extreme.  Is that a typographical error or is it really 39 deg?  Thanks.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

And in conversations with them, they said that the angle was always 19 deg which is what I have used ever since in my seascapes.  Yet I think you said 39 deg which is a huge difference and the animations don't look to be that extreme.  Is that a typographical error or is it really 39 deg?  Thanks.

image.jpg

(random image link)

Ah, total angle between the crests (39), versus half-angle wrt midship (39/2 = 19.5 degrees (= arcsin(1/3) [rad]) :)

This angle is valid for deep, unrestricted water; in shallow water this angle steadily increases (to 90 degrees even). Also, for some ships (speedboats) the angle is much smaller; these ships simply do not generate the waves that create this 19.47 deg angle; so might be less, but not more.

(also, thanks for the comments! 👍)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

42186.jpg

I found something on the websites of the National Maritime Museum (NMM). This is already quite impressive as they seem to have three (?) different search engines and links you store end up dead before you know it (thanks NMM, great work!). Anyway, via images.rmg.co.uk (so not via the main website or prints.etc where you can't find anything) I found this image. The main cabin is about 0.35mm further ahead (on model scale of course, so no harm done), the center housing and gun support are different from Ough's drawing and match Hood's picket. I already made this outline myself based on photographs, but this is even better. Won't have to guess the two vents sizes either.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I seem to have been caught with a classical case of overthinking. I was trying to make a small overview and was confused by all the images. For a part that's going to be about 14mm long why, why?! 😣 Anyway.

50ft_08.jpg

The layout of the cover over the engine room seems to be different for each picket. Ramilles' picket (top left) has two hatches aft, opening forward. (A)  Two air intakes are grouped around two hatches opening inboard (B)  three scuttles are fitted in the roof between the intakes and the funnel (D). Royal Sovereign's picket(top right) shows only two scuttles in the roof and has an additional hatch just behind the funnel (C).  An unidentified picket (bottom left) also shows three scuttles in the roof and a small hatch behind the funnel; pinnace 199 (bottom right) has only two scuttles in the roof and no hatch behind the funnel.

50ft_09.jpg

These are all pickets of Hood. A previous image showed that Hood's pickets had a stepped and a flat-roofed cover (shown here); but on closer inspection of the top image (beneath the inserts) it seems that Hood started carrying two flat-roofed pickets (A). A few decent shots were found of the port side picket; this is picket #2 as indicated by the two brass rings around the funnel (B). This picket has the forward vent on the same side as the aft vent (C); an earlier shot (bottom left) shows the vents in other positions (plus other arrangement of steam pipes around the funnel), so definitely not the same picket #2. I noticed that the scuttles in the side of the engine room cover is not the same for the small insert and bottom right image (E) suggesting these are not the same picket either but both have the vents on portside. So, both pickets were replaced or modified? The hatches in the roof open forward on all versions (F), in contrast to the pickets in the first image. The bottom right also shows a pair of scuttles in the roof. I will use this layout for my model and not the one shown bottom left.

I drew a few etched parts and I think I'll add a few generic meshes too; I'm not happy with finest mesh I could find (Flyhawk) which is not fine enough and is too meshy and it should match a wooden lattice more. Should be better looking for the other boats where I have to use more of this mesh. After adding the roof parts to the picket I'll probably switch to the 42 and 45 ft launches, trying to fill up the etch set.

• Like 6

50ft_10.jpg

Right, I used the pic above to draw the cover for the engine room and the base for the 3in Hotchkiss gun. Various etched parts will be added later. This center layout matches the photograph, previous post bottom right, so I'll go with that.

50ft_11.jpg

The two "superstructure" parts were made from styrene sheet and then filled with Magic Sculpt. This was really tricky and I needed four sessions to apply these otherwise simple shapes. The arrows indicate pulleys; a wire runs around the outside of the hull connecting the rudder till to the steering wheel. Only a quarter image before I continue with the cabin, but this was such a pain to do---while I am sick---I need a small celebratory post... 🥳

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

I've been busy building the Lego Eifeltower and when I wanted to continue modeling one of my cats ran under car which took the fun out of the hobby for a while. I was already working on a small set and added a few more parts. Just sent in a few etch set to etchworks.eu; hope they are still around!

50ft_13.jpg

I added a new mesh with a denser lattice (two spacings) for the other boats. The parts for the picket are bottom right (spot the small propeller).  A few other parts were added as well, mainly more Denton floats (far right), missing admiralty ladders top center, and re-etched stairs from the aft superstructure down going down as the previous versions didn't fit. The tiny bunch in the center is an etchperiment for the Whaler davits. I always end up with parts that are too small to use, but no harm done if they do not work out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Yeah, she was really fun. That paw action in the pic was used to steal everything she could and get into every cupboard she wasn't supposed to; before last week she started knocking off the trees of our just-completed Lego Eifel tower. A bit too curious & mischievous this one :)

• Like 3

50ft_11.jpg

Al right,  continuing with the pic that was previously 25% done.... Top right shows the cabin under construction made from strips. The inner benches were added first as a convenient spacer for the end of the cabin. I tried spotting a door on photographs bit didn't manage to find one, except on pinnace 199 where the doors open inwards which is not possible with the S-shaped cabin shape; I decided to keep the cabin open. The end of the cabin is again strip and both the front and aft section have an arc to capture the slight curvature of the roof.  Two more vent cowlings were made using the same recipe as the one on the foredeck; I really like my small milling machine! The funnel was a very tricky part with the trumpet made by squeezing in a dead center on the lathe; I actually tried using a butane burner to heat the small tube end, but that didn't help one bit. In the end it was just trial & error until the trumpet didn't show any tears.

50ft_12.jpg

The roof has both the S-shape and is also slightly curved along the other direction, so I used a cheap vacuum former shown top left; simply add boiling water. A few spacer strips were added to the inside to 'lock' the roof into position (need to paint inside before I'll glue the roof). Below is the model with all parts in place with ready to receive the etched parts. I suppose this now my most time-consuming detail on the ship!  (Let's forget about the dozen or so boats that still need to be made).

Meanwhile, If found an image of another picket with sort-of exactly the same layout as Hood's on  this lovely website

small_Royal%20Sovereign%20steam%20picket

• Like 9