I do hope not too much new info appears though :)

Corticine_003.jpg

Using the most unflattering grazing angle shows the corticine deck strip pattern. Some minor cleanup and strip replacement may follow. Note at left how well the pattern ends wrt the angled superstructure.

Corticine_004.jpg

I also added a strip strip (0.13x0.25) at the deck edge, as a small experiment. Works well enough!

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

A small update just before the start of the next F1 race...

Corticine_005.jpg

Corticine lines have been added to the admiral's signal platform; only a few more to go. I also added small openings to the sides where the saluting guns used to be present; a bit of side detail was already present and had to be removed/repaired first. I also had a small etch made with new scuttles ("eyebrows") that will be added later.

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

Corticine_006.jpg

Following a comment by Frank Allen (HMS Hood website) I tried modifying the forward UP launcher emplacements, but in the end needed to be replaced. I made a small sketch in Rhino, followed by a small folding plug (10.8mm in diameter). There's a small brass pin below the deck with M1 threading and a small M1 screw will hold the superstructure deck down, so I used that to hold the plug. Stretched sprue was added to the outside/top of the horizontal edges plus a number of 0.25x0.50 strips simulating the stiffeners. A number of small lockers in front of the shield were also removed requiring some deck repair (these are visible on all drawings but none of the photographs). A small detail, the signal trunk, was fitted just behind the shield. Only after fixing them I noticed I made a small mistake; it's a conical section that leans forward but I made mine leaning back... Following the most recent discoveries I removed the corticine strips near the pompoms as well as semtex is present at that location.

• Like 13

• 1 month later...

Gidday Foeth, thanks for this post and link, it is almost perfect timing for me. I have just commenced building an Airfix 1/600 scale HMS Hood which I want to alter to her May 1941 configuration as much as I can, within the bounds of my very average skill. One photo in the link shows what the Airfix kit doesn't have - a chin plate at the forefoot. Many thanks. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

Evert-Jan, every time I visit On The Slipway I find more gold; I had missed your recent stuff about RN Ships’ Boats, and it’s already the best single source I have found.  

V. V. minor comment; at the bottom of the page you cite two books by W.E. May.  I am not familiar with these books, but in both cases surely they are titled “...Men of War...” not “Mean”.  I feel incredibly mean picking up people for whom English is not their first language...  I’m sure you already know that “Man of War” was an old-fashioned term for a warship.

Hood’s launch pics are fascinating; the really show her structure as built - notably the extent to which her underwater / torpedo protection parts stick out before the above-water armour & protection was fitted.

• Like 3

Thanks for pointing out the typo (and no, I do not mind your pointing it out at all). The page is more an online dump of notes and images than a properly prepared post, so it's still a bit rough around the edges. I had the idea for years but left it to collect dust (as with many other ideas for the blog :)). I do not have the material to give any kind of real overview but you have to start somewhere I suppose, and, I hope it will grow into something more substantial. I found a few archives that have more material but they are so closed they do no even respond to e-mail. I recall our discussions on Ark Royal's boat compliment I have to revisit, see what launches we actually there (I didn't recognize them at the time). Now that the page is up I am keeping a better eye on Ebay and sorts, see if anything pops up. I let many interesting items go over the years, unsure if I should commit to a subject I know nothing about, really, some of which I now regret....

I was also surprised about HMS Hood's forefoot plate; they are on the plans but I had forgotten about it. Also, according to the Manual of Seamanship, Hood didn't use paravane chains but a sliding bar shoe that is present on some early images.

I have about 25 pics of the launch of HMS Prince of Wales lying around that are equally wonderful, but processing these really takes a lot of time... The pics of HMS Hood were in a remarkably good state by comparison! But I first want to finish all splinter shields and supports on the shelterdeck... also not going at the desired pace 🤭

Edited by foeth
  • Like 6

On 2/15/2021 at 3:29 PM, foeth said:

I was also surprised about HMS Hood's forefoot plate; they are on the plans but I had forgotten about it. Also, according to the Manual of Seamanship, Hood didn't use paravane chains but a sliding bar shoe that is present on some early images.

Gidday again, now that you mention it, I've never seen a photo of HMS Hood with the chains. The sliding bar shoe you mention, is that a V-shaped bar/plate that fits around the bow at the forefoot when streaming the paravanes? If so I've seen it on smaller ships, such as light cruisers. Regards, Jeff.

AAA03329_0.jpg?itok=f8pyW0hD

One of the few pics I know that actually shows the shoe (probably...🤨). Applied on raked bows (with no obstructions), otherwise chained. The Manual of Seamanship shows both methods, actually using Hood for the shoe.

Edited by foeth
  • Like 3

Yes, I think that's it. It looks like they may vary in shape in a minor way but same basic design. Below is a photo of HMS Welshman at Malta. I believe she streamed paravanes on the way in, and out again, hence the towing gear is still rigged.

BRITISH CRUISER DELIVERS ANTI AIRCRAFT AMMUNITION TO MALTA. 10 MAY 1942, MALTA. HMS WELSHMAN ARRIVED ON THE MORNING OF 10 MAY, LADEN WITH AMMUNITION FOR THE ISLAND'S ANTI AIRCRAFT GUNS. NAVAL RATINGS AND TROOPS AT ONCE GOT TO WORK UNLOADING AND DESPITE TH

Sorry to digress a little. I'll delete the photo if you wish with no hard feelings, as this is your thread about HMS Hood🙂 Regards, Jeff.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Running some experiments with Magic Sculpt and Plastic Magic during this week's lunch (and early weekend!)

experiment_1.jpg

Small speakers scattered around the ship! Used a small etchperiment; usually I loose myself when designing etch parts on my huge monitor... when they are too small I have to throw them out, but these worked out! 2 layers of Magic Sculpt were used to fill the gaps between the rod and etched part.

experiment_2.jpg

Last one went well enough, going forward with "production"  :)  These are the 2.7x2.7mm windows in the aft quarterdeck bulkhead. Forgot to add them in the etch, and I though, why not try some styrene... The dimensions almost exactly matched Styrene strips I had so that was convenient! I need 8 or until patience runs out, 😁

• Like 10

Reading through this awesome build over the years has taught me to REALLY look at photo's. The small details that I see now would simply just not been noticed a relatively short time ago. Thank you EJ, Regards, Pete in RI

Edited by europapete

Thanks! More update:

Shelterdeck_05.jpg

I spent some time on adding more detail to the shelter deck. Most splinter shields were only partially finished, many missing the stiffeners in the back. The two pics on the lower row show these strips are a strip and a small triangular plate. Also noticed a small storage container on the after most shield, presumably to store items required for the 4in guns. The bottom-right image shows the windows to the Admiral's day cabin (with the dining cabin forward, also with two windows per side) that are shown a bit below.

Shelterdeck_06.jpg

The strips were added by first adding smalls trip of masking tape with the right spacing. Small strips of 0.13mm were added next. When the glue had set these were beheaded using my clipper. A series of support triangles was added next. The photographs show that each triangle is not the same height as the splintershield, so I rounded that the height to the first half foot. The bottom left shows the copper at work, with a series of strips of the correct width. A small styrene template is first used to cut the strip at an angle and then chop it to size.

Shelterdeck_07.jpg

Results of the shelder deck as it is now; the arrows indicate the location of the lockers, both confirmed in photographs.

Shelterdeck_08.jpg

The smaller shield as a smaller opening where a small hand wheel was present to lower some shutter. Although I have no good pics of the aft 4in gun emplacement, I added the locker as random detail.

Shelterdeck_09.jpg

I added another random locker  to the forward 4in gun emplacement, and also replaced the splinter shielding around the pompom in the new style.

Shelterdeck_10.jpg

While I was at it I decided to do another experiment with my new glue and built a set of windows for the admiral's day & dining cabins. The openings are only 2x2 mm, so I needed very thin strips. I used a stop that was touching the blade, giving an about 0.15mm thin strip. This means I'm cutting of slices half the strip thickness. I added a bit of colour to not worry too much which side is "down". I made a small assembly line using tape; not entirely useless as the small and medium strips were about the same size and initially parts were mixing ed made for bad windows. Building these small parts in series also ensures that the glue can set between each step. A total of 8 windows of 22 parts were built

Shelterdeck_11.jpg

And the result; I had to do some carving to the back plate which was quite unnerving, but nothing went wrong! The rest of the part is in line for cleaning up.

• Like 8

Gidday Foeth, this build continues to astound, it is superb and the detail you include is incredible. I must also thank you. I am doing a much smaller and simpler model of this ship and I had some queries about the rearmost 4-inch gun position. Your photos above answered my question, and your timing is excellent. Although I have made a mistake it is not too late to correct it. Many thanks. Regards, Jeff.

Usually I say "better never than late" with new information! There should be an 8" flange at the top of the aft splinter shields too, plus a small platform to X-turret, but I'll add that later. I'm trying to not get too distracted and finish my todo list in good order; that is, next in line is the edge of the deck and railing positions... the aft bulkhead may be next... it is cracked in several places (arg).

Hello Foeth!

I could never scratch build these incredibly small parts - that's why I print them in 3D.

I believe your model will far outperform any kit for sale!

Thanks for sharing!

Andreas

• Like 1