Austrian Airlines Airbus A319 in 1/144

I present the Revell A319 in the colour scheme introduced by Austrian Airlines in 2002.

This is a sort of accidental model. My original intention was to finish the A319 in the multi-coloured “Park Inn” scheme carried by D-AKNF of Germanwings. However that came to an abrupt end when I discovered an unfixable problem with the Nazca decals. Luckily I hadn’t started the long and complex painting job but I was left with a “white-tail” A319 in need of an airline, not to mention about £30-worth of Vallejo and Tamiya paint which I had bought specially for the project. :rant:

After looking at various other options the penny dropped that the kit had come with a very decent set of Austrian decals and using them would add another model to my growing collection of current and former European “flag carriers”. OE-LDA “Sofia” is the result and it’s probably only the third or fourth time in all the years I’ve been building airliners that I’ve used the kit decals.

The model is OOB apart from replacement winglets, a BraZ satcom fairing and a few small details. White is Halfords, grey is Holts HL Grey01, the blue belly is Mr Color H45 and the engines are Revell Aqua 04 with drops of 50 added until it looked about right. The Aeroflex on the wings is Revell Aqua 374 and metallics are by Tamiya and Revell.

The Revell decals fitted well. The “www.austrian.com” titles on the engines came from a Nazca Boeing 737 sheet. Photos suggest the A319s got these when the satcom fairings were fitted although bits of the titles were often missing presumably due to parts of the cowlings being swapped around. Authentic Airliners windows and a few extra decals from the spares box completed the ensemble.

Thanks for looking and as always constructive criticism is welcome

Dave G

48211408241_3657d8ecf0_b.jpg

48211466467_1f1741b494_b.jpg

48211408811_f5ebca356e_b.jpg

48211408031_7485281a20_b.jpg

• Like 31

Hi Dave,

Flawless as usual!

Wow using the kit decals, now there's a radical idea!! Would've been great if the Park Inn logojet had worked out but this is easily as good a replacement. It's a nice, slightly unusual livery which I wasn't too sure about when it first came out. They've had about 5 in the last 30 odd years though so if you don't like one of their liveries you won't have to live with it for long!

Good to see the use of the black sealing strip around the wing body fairing, Do you know why it doesn't go all the way round on the left side?

And that www on the cowlings is subtle isn't it?

As always the AA windows and windscreen really finished it off.

I could get away with displaying lots of Austrian airliners as my wife is a fan of the country and by coincidence I'm currently working on an Austrian A321 and bizarrely am going to use the kit decals too, it's the Famous Austrians special scheme. Weird! Should be ready for RFI soon.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Bravo as usual, Dave! The Baby Bus is just beautiful. Always love the attention to detail you present, especially when it comes to fairing seals and engine access panels. The first pic is really stunning...I could swear I'm looking right into the cockpit through clear windows, with 3D decals from AA. I read someone's opinion somewhere as they referred to the modern jetliners as "white whales," referring to lack of color, no window cheatlines, and a general lack of artistic creativity. I tent to agree with that opinion to a point; certainly NOT with your work. This is a very tasteful and conservative livery that really accentuates the A319. And decals out of the box??? The base is really nice too...I think I remember seeing it before, and it adds so much to the presentation...not intrusive or bulky, but just right. Did you make it yourself?Wow....looks really really nice. :clap:😉

Edited by Challenger350Pilot
Additional comment
  • Like 1

Thanks for the generous comments everybody, much appreciated :)

On 7/6/2019 at 2:44 PM, Turbofan said:

Good to see the use of the black sealing strip around the wing body fairing, Do you know why it doesn't go all the way round on the left side?

I could get away with displaying lots of Austrian airliners as my wife is a fan of the country and by coincidence I'm currently working on an Austrian A321 and bizarrely am going to use the kit decals too, it's the Famous Austrians special scheme. Weird! Should be ready for RFI soon.

I don't know about the sealing strip but as far as I can make out only the A319s have the continuous strip on the right, the 320s and 321s have it split on both sides. My guess is that is has something to do with the cargo door.

I'll look forward to seeing the Famous Austrians. I should probably have tackled Austrian Airlines sooner than I did because my sister's husband is from Salzburg and although he isn't a modeller he takes a courteous interest in my models. He'll be happy now. With a bit of luck I should have another two, possibly three, models in RFI over the next few weeks. One will be from the other half of the former Austro-Hungarian empire -watch this space!

On 7/6/2019 at 3:05 PM, Challenger350Pilot said:

And decals out of the box??? The base is really nice too...I think I remember seeing it before, and it adds so much to the presentation...not intrusive or bulky, but just right. Did you make it yourself?Wow....looks really really nice. :clap:😉

Revell airliner decals are usually pretty good. Design is often by people like Danny Coremans and Gaston Roca and printing is usually decent, if not absolute top quality. In the past I've used the Revell kit decals for the TUI "Haribo Goldbear" Boeing 738 and the Flybe BAe-146 and in both cases the results were as good as any after-market sheet.

The base is by Nazca Decals. It comes as an A4 printed card. I used artist's mounting adhesive to attach it to a piece of foamex which I then fitted into a simple, plain photo frame.

On 7/6/2019 at 11:22 PM, John D.C. Masters said:

I've flown in that aircraft to Vienna...

As I mentioned above my brother-in-law is from Salzburg which has a strong and not always friendly rivalry with Vienna. As he once put it, "Vienna is a very beautiful city. It's a pity it has to be full of the Viennese".

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:47 PM, Skodadriver said:

.....a BraZ satcom fairing.....

I assume the fairing is the lump on top of the fuselage, just forward of the tail.

Last time I flew in an A-320 I wondered what it was, and now you've cleared it up.  Thanks!

Anyway, I love what you've done - a very beautiful build.

:clap:

• Like 1

Another beauty Dave, and a good reminder that sometimes kits come with attractive good quality decals. Also you are showing once again how good those AA window decals are!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Very nice A319.Looks excellent in the AUA livery.

I am currently working on a few Airbuses too,I found that the Revell kits are starting to show their ages.The fit wasn't the best and there had been quite an amount of excess palstic in areas that are rather iffy to clean.I hope I can make them half as good looking as your model.

• Like 1

Thanks again for the generous comments.

11 hours ago, kapam said:

I assume the fairing is the lump on top of the fuselage, just forward of the tail.

Last time I flew in an A-320 I wondered what it was, and now you've cleared it up.  Thanks!

Anyway, I love what you've done - a very beautiful build.

:clap:

Yes, the lump on top is the satcom fairing. They come in various shapes and sizes and generally do little for the aircraft's aesthetics!

5 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Very nice A319.Looks excellent in the AUA livery.

I am currently working on a few Airbuses too,I found that the Revell kits are starting to show their ages.The fit wasn't the best and there had been quite an amount of excess palstic in areas that are rather iffy to clean.I hope I can make them half as good looking as your model.

I know what you mean Alex and I agree with you but as I've said before I'd rather have the Revell kits with worn moulds and flash than not have them at all. 

The Revell kit is not as bad as People are saying and the decals are usually very fine. I like this one! I have already finished the 321 Millennium with the famous faces. It was also a fun build.

cheers,

Norbert

• Like 1