RAF Jaguar Overwing Sidewinder Pylon Tactical Scheme

alawrence

On 7/7/2019 at 7:06 AM, alawrence said:

Hello Phone Phixer, Selwyn and Des

Thank you all for your observations and very comprehensive replies. Your information confirms my fears. The Eilson picture is great and very interesting. I was surprised to learn that RAF Jags did not have the capacity as you pointed out it had been developed for the Jaguar International begun in 1974, and displayed at Farnborough from 1976 onwards.

These images had stuck in my mind (I was still at primary school) and 

This photo from 1978 shows Jaguar XX766 from 226OCU was painted with Jaguar International titles for Farnborough Air Show. It is fitted with a Magic Overwing.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/Sepecat-Jaguar-GR1/1339646/L

Sepecat Jaguar GR1 XX747 Paris Le Bourget June 16, 1979

https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/Sepecat-Jaguar-GR1/575860/L

This photo is from 1993 shows a white Sidewinder fitted to the overwing launcher.

6 Squadron

Jaguar GR1A

Royal Air Force 

RAF Mildenhall Air Fete - 1993

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1276964

Phone Fixer, as an armourer you are surely best qualified to suggest a load out scheme for a 1970's -80's tactical scheme. A UK based squadron Jag carrying a commonly carried load, but interesting,  for a low level training sortie.

Please could you make some suggestions? What stores would you like to see under the wings?

Many thanks to you all.

That's a Matra Magic not a sidewinder fitted to the Jaguar international.

Edited by tweeky

16 hours ago, cherisy said:

Wasn't the Jaguar able to carry a single WE177 on the centre line ? Where they used on QRF (N) in Germany prior to the Tornado? Or was it just the buccaneer  force ? And did any of the UK based sqns carry one ?

Yes. All the squadrons at Bruggen were strike capable and did QRA(N). Like you say, one WE177 was carried on the centerline pylon on an angled adapter rack that pointed the weapon very nose down.

The UK based squadrons did not have a strike role, so were not loaded. They were all close air support and tactical recce.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 12:59 AM, Phone Phixer said:

Yes. All the squadrons at Bruggen were strike capable and did QRA(N). Like you say, one WE177 was carried on the centerline pylon on an angled adapter rack that pointed the weapon very nose down.

The UK based squadrons did not have a strike role, so were not loaded. They were all close air support and tactical recce.

Would such an angled adapter rack be easy to scratch build  from spares? . I've a Freightdog  177 spare that I could use for one of my Airfix Jags.

4 hours ago, cherisy said:

Would such an angled adapter rack be easy to scratch build  from spares? . I've a Freightdog  177 spare that I could use for one of my Airfix Jags.

It would be pretty well straightforward enough. Detailed photo's are hard to find, but I found these. Source unknown.

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's the wedge shaped bit on 20 sqn's CH. It then has a CBLS with a WRS (weapon response simulator), used to drop 28lb practice bombs in strike simulation profiles.

Also they briefly appear on a few occasions in this video.

https://film.iwmcollections.org.uk/record/31741?fbclid=IwAR1CIMfCNFUdVa2UqYoY27utgGN6Jag6DK_bqnZYF-bfF2iCKQthsj_sxNM

Hope this helps.

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

It would be pretty well straightforward enough. Detailed photo's are hard to find, but I found these. Source unknown.

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's the wedge shaped bit on 20 sqn's CH. It then has a CBLS with a WRS (weapon response simulator), used to drop 28lb practice bombs in strike simulation profiles.

https://film.iwmcollections.org.uk/record/31741?fbclid=IwAR1CIMfCNFUdVa2UqYoY27utgGN6Jag6DK_bqnZYF-bfF2iCKQthsj_sxNM

Hope this helps.

Rob.

That shouldn't  be difficult.  I'm sure I can find some sort of spare pylon in the spares box and amend it. Pretty straight forward.  Thanks Rob.

As an aside I take it the fit would be 2 drop tanks  and ecm/phimat pod on the outer pylons or an AIM 9 depending on period.  ( I'm thinking early 80s)

Cheers

Lee

19 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope this helps.

Rob.

Just watched the video. Bruggen ! Recognised my old block and my old sqn compound ( 37 sqn ) I never knew this video existed.  A couple of years before my time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cherisy said:

As an aside I take it the fit would be 2 drop tanks  and ecm/phimat pod on the outer pylons or an AIM 9 depending on period.  ( I'm thinking early 80s)

According to wikipedia the ECM/Phimat/AIM-9G came along with the upgrade to GR1A standard in December 1983. So anything after that date could have the pods. Before then, as strike and conventional weapons were not mixed, the outboard pylons would be empty.

Rob.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2021 at 1:59 AM, Phone Phixer said:

one WE177 was carried on the centerline pylon on an angled adapter rack that pointed the weapon very nose down.

What would  be the purpose of the downwards angle?

Reduced??? drag?

Improved separation?

16 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Good question. I have no idea, I've asked on the Jaguar Facebook group. Hopefully someone might know.

Perhaps to assist with lobbing the nuke through a LABS manoeuvre..?

Cheers,

Andre

On 7/18/2019 at 7:50 AM, JagRigger said:

One fit that made me look twice one day was THREE fuel tanks

I think I may have an answer to this, which you probably already know, but hey-ho, On my 1/48 Jaguar GR3A there is a option for 2 outer 1200ltr fuel tanks and a Centre line Reconnaissance Pod, which is roughly about the same size and shape as the tanks but with no rear fins.

• Like 1