RAF Jaguar Overwing Sidewinder Pylon Tactical Scheme

alawrence

Hello

I would like to depict a Jaguar in the Green and Grey tactical scheme fitted with the overwing pylon with Sidewinder or practise round. However I have found only two photographs of this configuration, both from airshows in 1992 Wattisham and 1993 at Mildenhall.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/search/270/?q=sepecat+jaguar&f=_all&exact=1&type=&registration=&operator=&code_number=&construction_number=&airport=&country=&photographer=&date_taken=&airshow=&military_unit=&information=&exact=1&search_type=simple

Would this loadout be so unusual? I have seen photographs from farnborough from 1982 showing this configuration, but it may have been a dummy installation to boost sales. I don't know if any RAF squadron actually had the pylons fitted before OP GRANBY, when the all desert pink and OP Warden all grey camoflage schemes were implemented, and the Jaguars were upgraded to GR3.

The photographic record would suggest that it is unusual but if anyone had any more knowledge about this subject I would be interested to hear their thoughts.

Best regards

A

If I am reading correctly what you are asking for I have found a few pictures of Jaguars with the overwing sidewinder mounts whilst in the tactical scheme in the Crowood book on this aircraft. I will also admit that there are a lot more in the "Artic Scheme" with this configuration if that is of any help.

Hello Jabba

Thank you for your reply. I don't have that book yet. I have Aeroguide 31 and the Modellers Datafile, neither of which have single photo of the Dark Grey/Dark green with sidewinder overwing pylons.

Please could you tell me the squadron, aircraft serial numbers and year so that I can research them specifically. 

If the pictures are are rare as hens teeth it make me think that it is such an unusual load out that it would not be representative of RAF usage.

Best regards

Anthony

The main picture that I have got from the book is of XZ109/EN of 6 Sqn, but no date. Most of the "Arctic" scheme aircraft are from 41 Sqn and most with no Ser No, but one is of XX767/GE. There is also a picture of XZ358/L of 41 Sqn, but this one is on the SAOEU ramp at Boscombe Down and yet again no date. I hope that this is of some help.

Hello Jabba

Thank you to the XZ109 info. Yes this is one of the airshow photos I think. Very helpful.

I have now found two photographs of 41 Sqn with the overwing launcher. One is of XZ107H at Gilze Rijen AB May 1995. The second is unidentified.

https://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69025

I believe most of the artic scheme photos are white paint over what was a completely grey camouflage, but to the previous tactical pattern.

Cheers

Anthony

Im told by Jag people that the pylons were not cleared before OP granby and then only seen on Grey aircraft, so you cant fit them to a Grey / Green aircraft.

Julien

Hello

There is a photo of Green/Grey Jaguar with over wing Sidewinders taking off published in Jaguar in action book by Squadron/Signal. The caption says: ˝Departing RAF Marham in 1993 is GR.1A XX766/EC, of No. 6 Squadron with both afterburners lit. The aircraft also carries the over wing Sidewinder rails and missiles.˝. Unfortunately, I could not find this photo on the web. Cheers

Jure

Hello Julien and jure

I suspect you are right generally but there are a few photographs existing. It certainly seems to be uncommon which has made me look at alternative load outs.

Here is one example.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/Sepecat-Jaguar-GR1/2633593?qsp=eJwtjT0OwlAMg6%2BCMrNVYugGFygDF4gSq/y/KAmCp6p3p6%2Bw2f4seyIpz8QnT9VAPQXY5UxbMnZ%2BBPUT3VDfxTVWahDOzZXHF/vSiuJ5qAtRTuxFYAn954MrvCGErINjO9g1CT/%2BXNesXsLu3FaEXWmevwjKMYo%3D

Personally I think a few flew in this configuration even though they may not have been capable of fifing the missile.

Jure is correct in that there is a picture captioned as described in the Squadron book.

I am now looking at removing the overawing pylons and sourcing some practice bomb carriers for the outer pylons.

Best regards

A

16 minutes ago, alawrence said:

Hello Julien and jure

I suspect you are right generally but there are a few photographs existing. It certainly seems to be uncommon which has made me look at alternative load outs.

Here is one example.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/Sepecat-Jaguar-GR1/2633593?qsp=eJwtjT0OwlAMg6%2BCMrNVYugGFygDF4gSq/y/KAmCp6p3p6%2Bw2f4seyIpz8QnT9VAPQXY5UxbMnZ%2BBPUT3VDfxTVWahDOzZXHF/vSiuJ5qAtRTuxFYAn954MrvCGErINjO9g1CT/%2BXNesXsLu3FaEXWmevwjKMYo%3D

Personally I think a few flew in this configuration even though they may not have been capable of fifing the missile.

Jure is correct in that there is a picture captioned as described in the Squadron book.

I am now looking at removing the overawing pylons and sourcing some practice bomb carriers for the outer pylons.

Best regards

A

The Jaguar in this picture is  loaded with an acquisition missile which is in basic terms  a metal tube  fitted with a seeker head  used to practice  acquiring a target in air to air combat.  you cannot fit wings and fins to it and it cannot be fired.  Usually only one was fitted so its quite possible the rail on the other side will be empty.

The only time you would see live missiles fitted would be  during combat ops.  You may nave seen inert Drill missiles loaded for  displays or photo shoots. For day to day  sorties an acquisition missile and practice bomb carriers  could be a valid configuration.

Selwyn

• Like 1

RAF Jaguars were cleared for overwing launch rails during Operation Granby in late 1990/early 1991 and could be seen with them thereafter irrespective of colour scheme and subject to Selwyn's comment above if used to carry anything during routine training during the 1990s it would be a Sidewinder acquisition round on one side and from shortly after the turn of the century a RAIDS Pod on the other.

No idea if the Jaguar Force ever got an allocation of live AIM-9s for an annual Missile Practice Camp shoot or not as was the case with air defence units.

As has been mentioned on previous posts, the RAF only introduced overwing pylons on the Jaguars for Op Granby during 1990. The fit was an option on the export Jaguar International, but RAF aircraft did not have the capability.

The pylons were introduced on an urgent STF (special trial fit) for Granby airframes only. It required some of the upper wing surface milling out to accept a mounting bearing and changes to the wing wiring loom to connect the Lau 7A launcher. no small modification.

The rest of the fleet got the modification during the upgrade programme to GR3/3A. There was insufficient pylons procured to fit to all aircraft, so were usually fitted to aircraft destined for later operations or for major air exercises.

This timing usually meant the majority of aircraft seen with the pylons were painted in temporary ARTF colours (desert pink, light grey or white) or had received repaint to the 2 tone grey scheme.

This photo for Exercise Cope Thunder at Eilson AFB in Alaska has some grey green aircraft with overwings.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:JaguarGR1As_41Sqn_EielsonAFB1996.jpeg

Live Sidewinders were carried on the Ops (Gulf, Iraq northern no fly patrols and former Yugoslavia) but those aircraft were painted with the ARTF colours. Normal flying or exercises would have one acquisition missile loaded, as described by selwyn.

The only time an aircraft would have a live Sidewinder loaded in the UK, would be allocated to the OCU (16R Sqn) for live firing during the qualified weapons instructor (QWI) course. These courses were held once or twice per year and it would only be one missile per aircraft.

As Des says, later on a RAIDS pod was fitted to the opposite launcher to the aqui. But grey/green painted airframes were long gone by then.

Hope this helps.

Rob (ex Jaguar armourer)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hello Phone Phixer, Selwyn and Des

Thank you all for your observations and very comprehensive replies. Your information confirms my fears. The Eilson picture is great and very interesting. I was surprised to learn that RAF Jags did not have the capacity as you pointed out it had been developed for the Jaguar International begun in 1974, and displayed at Farnborough from 1976 onwards.

These images had stuck in my mind (I was still at primary school) and 

This photo from 1978 shows Jaguar XX766 from 226OCU was painted with Jaguar International titles for Farnborough Air Show. It is fitted with a Magic Overwing.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/Sepecat-Jaguar-GR1/1339646/L

Sepecat Jaguar GR1 XX747 Paris Le Bourget June 16, 1979

https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/Sepecat-Jaguar-GR1/575860/L

This photo is from 1993 shows a white Sidewinder fitted to the overwing launcher.

6 Squadron

Jaguar GR1A

Royal Air Force 

RAF Mildenhall Air Fete - 1993

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1276964

Phone Fixer, as an armourer you are surely best qualified to suggest a load out scheme for a 1970's -80's tactical scheme. A UK based squadron Jag carrying a commonly carried load, but interesting,  for a low level training sortie.

Please could you make some suggestions? What stores would you like to see under the wings?

Many thanks to you all.

A lot of times with the practice bomb carrier I have only seen one loaded on the centreline pylon. But in a few cases one there in addition to the wing pylons.

Operationally I thought the Inner wing pylons were for fuel tanks and the outer ones for an ECM pod and chaff dispenser with the weapons on the body.

Ian blacks latest book Combat Ready has some great Jag shots in it with some carrying 2 x 1000lb practice bombs on the centre pylon and just tanks on the wings.

9 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

The only time an aircraft would have a live Sidewinder loaded in the UK, would be allocated to the OCU (16R Sqn) for live firing during the qualified weapons instructor (QWI) course. These courses were held once or twice per year and it would only be one missile per aircraft.

Yes, I fired an AIM 9G off the underwing pylon when I did the QWI course in the late 80’s; although I was the only one of the 4 of us on the course to do it and actually went back after the course was finished to do so.

49 minutes ago, Julien said:

Operationally I thought the Inner wing pylons were for fuel tanks and the outer ones for an ECM pod and chaff dispenser with the weapons on the body.

That’s correct, but by the late 80’s the standard war-fit for the Coltishall attack squadrons GR1A’s was a centreline fuel tank, with tandem beams fitted to the inner wing pylons so that 2 x retard 1000lbers or CBUs could be carried on each inner pylon and the AN-ALQ ‘dash 10’  ECM and Phimat chaff pods on the outer pylons, and by then all the aircraft had the ALE-40 chaff/flare dispensers fitted.

3 hours ago, alawrence said:

A UK based squadron Jag carrying a commonly carried load, but interesting,  for a low level training sortie

Classic training fit would be 2 x tanks and a CBLS on each outer pylon.

But we also flew with the ECM/Phimat pods on the outer pylons and a CBLS on the centre pylon - which is a bit more interesting.

We also flew the centre line tank fit with inert 1000lbers on the tandem beams every now and then (and live ones on occasion).

Also flew with an inert (or live) LGB on the centreline, which at the time was a low level fit because they were delivered from a ‘loft’ or ‘toss’ profile.

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Jabba said:

There is also a picture of XZ358/L of 41 Sqn, but this one is on the SAOEU ramp at Boscombe Down and yet again no date.

20190707-145322.jpg

It's photo on mobile from monitor my PC.

Full & quality original photo  in last number Aeroplane 2019-06. Probably in article have answer on questions - when maked this photo.

Of course, I apologize and delete this photo from my post if there are any complaints from the copyright holder.

B.R.

Serge

Your time bracket of 70's-80's covers many changes in the Jaguars capabilities. If it's a UK based aircraft you want to model, then it's either from 226 OCU at Lossiemouth, which would be the training fit as stated by Fritag. The operational squadrons were all at Coltishall in the close air/tactical support role, 6 and 54 squadrons. Then of course there was the "Kodak Kids" of 41 sqn in the tactical recce role.

From it's introduction untill the mid 80's, the Jag was at GR1 standard, no pods on the outboards, CBLS practice bomb carriers and inboard tanks for training. Heavy stuff would be 1,000lb bombs, BL755 cluster bombs on the centreline and outboards, could also be Matra rocket pods on the outboards.

From late 83 they were upgraded to GR1A, got better nav kit, new engines and the ability to carry ECM & Phimat pods, or AIM-9G Sidewinders on the outboards. The fit became what Fritag said, he knows it, he flew it!

From a modelling point of view, the centerline tank and tandem beams on the inboards is rare to do because T beams are difficult to find. I think Airfix included them in some of their kits, depending what scale you want.

Edited by Phone Phixer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Phone Phixer, Fritag and Aarkvark

Thank you all for your information and thoughts. Great information.

I will do some more pictorial research based on your information now I have slightly better understanding on the possibilities. The GR1A fitted with ECM & Phimat pods sound interesting. 

Cheers

Anthony

On 7/8/2019 at 2:14 AM, Phone Phixer said:

The fit became what Fritag said, he knows it, he flew it

Borrowed one for an hour or two every now and then from you guys Rob :)

Memory fades - and if and when I get around to building one I rather believe I’ll be peppering you with some questions :blush:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On page 283 Martin W. Bowman book "SEPECAT Jaguar. Tactical support & maritime strike fighter"  have photo GR.1A XX767/GE of 54(F) Squadron taking off from RAF Coltishall on 9 December 1994 (Tom Trower)

This Jag with tactical scheme

Green/Grey & owerwing pylon but without AIM-9 missile. 

B.R.

Serge

On 7/7/2019 at 1:07 PM, Aardvark said:

20190707-145322.jpg

It's photo on mobile from monitor my PC.

Full & quality original photo  in last number Aeroplane 2019-06. Probably in article have answer on questions - when maked this photo.

Of course, I apologize and delete this photo from my post if there are any complaints from the copyright holder.

B.R.

Serge

One of the reasons the practice sidewinder is probably fitted in this picture to evaluate if there was any issues with  fuel spill  on connection/disconnection  contaminating the missile, probably the same with the wing mounted pod.

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

I believe, though I may be wrong and feel free to correct me, that the overwing pylons used in Granby largely came from RAFO stocks. Oman rarely used them, instead preferring to fit AIM-9Ps on the outer underwing pylons whenever their Jags were tasked with air defence duties.

• Like 1

Oman never had overwing pylons for their Jaguar fleet, the initial batch for Op Granby came from BAE store at Warton, we were told that they had been produced for an expected export order which never materialised.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

A bit late to the party, but doing a bunch of Jag research the last few days for some decal artwork, I found this thread.

In the course of my internet dragging, I also found a few images of Grey/Green Jags with the overwing pylons installed:

Jaguar Appreciation Society #1

Jaguar Appreciation Society #2

Jaguar Appreciation Society #3

Jaguar Appreciation Society #4

Jaguar Appreciation Society #5

I'll bet if somebody was motivated to do so, they could find a number more in the vast amount of photos uploaded there.

Cheers,

Hoops

Edited by Hoops
Added Two More Links