Soviet Mi-8MT, Spades Dragon, 262nd Helicopter Squadron, Bagram, Afghanistan, 1989...

Tomorrow I head off-island for some mountain biking for a couple of days, so nothing new will be posted until Friday or Saturday at the earliest...but for now, I have assemble the engine 'nacelle'...I am not sure what to call it.  The instructions make it seem as if you can assemble this on the fuselage itself.  This is not a good idea.  Too many pieces that need to to be wiggled around and situated just so.  Even then some slight trimming and filler is needed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

After the glue had set, I sanded lightly, filled a little...Note that I have not attached the exhaust pipes, or whatever they are called.  Since they will be a radically different colour (burned iron) than the rest of the engine nacelle, I will paint them separately and attach them towards the end of the build.

spacer.png

Have a great few days!

--John

• Like 1

Very good idea to assemble the engine intakes before assembling attaching them to the engine housing, it would be a very difficult job to get right when doing it later. Adding the exhausts after painting the model is also a very good idea, certainly saves on masking. You have done a great job on assembling the engine section, your sanding and tidying up hasn't destroyed any of the detail from what I can see.

I'm back, after a very hot but fun camping trip and the minor disaster of burst plumbing in my kitchen yesterday morning at 7AM...Anyway...

This is a funny kit.  Having never built a helicopter before the construction demands certain changes in routines.  First off, all the outrigger pieces (hardpojnts, armaments, landing gear, etc...) get attached after the paint job.  That's new for me.  

This is where I'm at...

spacer.png

I will have to cover up the openings and all of that before I prime and spray the camo.  But before that There are some large gaps that need filling.

Here...and here...

spacer.png

Note that I have drilled out the port vent (circled).  I have also drilled out the two half-moon air intakes just behind the air cleaners.  Sorry..no picture of that.

The rear stabilizers are on and the gaps they gave me are filled already.

spacer.png

I'll fill the gaps in the engine nacelle and while that dries, do some busy work, like wheels, tyres, rotor and blades...All of that stuff goes on dead last.

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 1

Upon closer inspection it is apparent that I am allowed to construct the outrigger/hardpoint units before attaching them to the fuselage.  So I will do this.  I have sprayed the appropriate parts a light tan...the instructions call for 'deck tan' Vallejo Air 71244, Biege...this may indeed not be the final colour as the Colour Series from Vallejo calls for a more grey colour....we shall see.  The beige seems to be for the Mi-24.  I like the colour, though as it is one that I normally wouldn't use and already speaks to a different era of air combat than I am used to.  And while to say they didn't use this colour on the Mi-8?

I gave also primed the main body of the aircraft with Vallejo white primer and a splash or two of what little Humbrol Primer Grey I have left.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

When I get back from the movies tonight I'll construct the outriggers.

• Like 2

Nicley built up john, its looking really nice , i do like the raised detail rivets, i would have liked to have left my exausts off till the main painting was done too, but they have to be fitted before the fuselage gets zipped up

John though ,if i may the rear stabilizers, i reckon should be horizontal to the airframe,

No dihedral, i believe

Coming along very nicely John.

Those gaps look like they will take some sorting but based on what you've done so far you should get them sorted without too much trouble.

I think it makes sense to assemble the weapons pylons before adding them to the fuselage, that way you can get them painted first.

Glynn is right about the rear stabilisers, they should be horizontal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Glynn is right about the rear stabilisers, they should be horizontal.

Thanks for the correction.  Easily fixed!

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Those gaps look like they will take some sorting

Not so much.  They filled it easily.  

• Like 1

Yes--thank you Craig...

I am going to paint today.  I have thought about the colour and I will not be using the beige that I used on the outriggers.  I will use the greyish-tan paint instead.  Its a simple ting to repaint what I have already done.  

• Like 1

Having chosen the greyish tan over the beige, I went ahead and sprayed the fuselage.  The grey is actually far warmer in tone than it looks.  I guess it is a good camo colour, though, and would most likely deflect light and absorb exterior colour...I guess...I am sure it will look very nice with the green added.

spacer.png

Some busy work on some of the smaller parts, namely the rotors and the wheels/tires.   I used aluminum for the metal and then black FloryWash.  The wheels were the standard Tire Black and Green for the hubs.  I'll give them some reddish tan Flory later.  That'll cover up any imperfections!  The exhausts were several layers...aluminum first, then a 'rust mix' of my own design, then some rubbed on Red Leather.  I think it works.

spacer.png

The hard-point armatures were fun.  Note: make sure you build them in sequence, and the armatures themselves have an up-down side.  Not all the hard points are the same.  But they did come together well and the the little 'V' struts that go in between the hard points actually push them out at a slight bias so they are not actually perpendicular to the armature.  Its best to add the little 'V' struts before the glue is completely set so the hard points have a little bit of give to them.  Does that make sense?

spacer.png

As you see I will be using 4 of the 80mm rockets and 2 of the 50mm rockets.  Tell me...is there a proper sequence?  Do the 50mm rockets go on the outside? Does not matter?

--John

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hewy said:

being green

Speaking of which...I continue to battle with mixed results with any of the Vallejo Air greens...any of them.  They dry out so fast, clog the nozzle...terrible.  All the other colours airbrush beautifully.  I have even watched a few tutorials on the U-Tube.  Nothing seems to be consistent, except for the paint not flowing well.  I have tried everything!  

This is in regards to the next stage of my painting--the green camo.  It worked for a few sprays and then it didn't.  In the end I did what I could, then cleaned up the lines with some more of the grey (which looked better anyway) and then touched up with the hairy brush.  I did that last night.  I masked this afternoon fo the underside blue...no issues spraying there!

spacer.png

All unmasked.  I am ready to attach all the accoutrements...

spacer.png

spacer.png

So if anyone has any experience with the colour green and all of its associated shades, please help me out.  I think it has to the do with the actual pigment used and whatever solvent Vallejo uses to make it 'spray-able.'

Once I give this bird a bit of Flory weathering, it'll look fine.

--John

• Like 4

Been a pleasure catching up on this one as well as Glynn's John both excellent builds of the respective issues I now definitely need to find

room on the bench for one!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

need to find

I concur.  I am having great deal of fun with this helicopter, very much my first.  And there are so many helicopters...

Beginning to look the part...I have to stop now and let it rest.  Flory is next.

spacer.png

• Like 4

top job ,Paint issues apart john, that looks ace, some flory and a flat coat and  it'll all blend in really well ,btw I've  tried lots of paint in my time( same as every one)   through the airbrush and i keep returning to tamiya and mr hobby/colour ,with either ipa, mr hobby laquer , or straight cellulose thinners, they just work, I'd probably still be using enamel  paints if i wasnt so inpatient in waiting for them to dry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Been a pleasure catching up on this one as well as Glynn's John both excellent builds of the respective issues I now definitely need to find

Still plenty of room in the GB for you to add another Hip to the lineup Steve.

53 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I am having great deal of fun with this helicopter, very much my first.  And there are so many helicopters...

It really does show how much fun both you and Glynn are having with your Mi-8's, and with different kits too.

there are loads of great helicopters out there to choose from Glynn and some great models of them too. I am a bit of a rotor-head though so maybe I'm a bit biased :) .

• Like 1

Thanks Craig,I've done my usual overstretching in the GB's made some progress with the Macchi for this one which I'll post later but five done for the Frog

GB and four pending,have not even started the Phantom for that GB and still to bring in the Lightning for the Sharkmouth GB!That said I'm watching closely

the ship by Bianfuxia it's not often a ship makes it into a GB now I have Trumpeters carrier Minsk and it served with  the Soviet Pacific fleet throughout the

eighties...................................

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

it'll all blend in really well

Thanks Hewy.  I actually went ahead and Florywashed it but didn't take pictures.  Then I decided it ended some pin washing .  I did document that.  It's a dirty bird, that's for sure.  I justify this as it's 1989 in Afghanistan and the Soviet Union is on it's last legs, the war is running out of money and those flight crews are pretty tired of being there.  So it was the end of the road for old Yellow 23...

First, some necessary decal surgery...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Flory and pin washed...notice I snapped off one of the antenna on the tail.  Over exuberance with an ear bud...

spacer.png

This will all be wiped off.

spacer.png

Ditto...

spacer.png

So that's where I am.  I'll take better images tomorrow morning but as of now all the Flory and oil pin wash has been wiped off.  I need to attach the outrigger hard-points, the clamshell doors, and the rotors, the nose gun...And there is rigging.  Yes...a line running from the tail to the fuselage. I think it might be to ground the Hip against static electricity.

--John

• Like 4

After the grime has been rubbed (gently!) off...

spacer.png

There are a few places where these metal belts would be...here and also around the fuel pods.  The detail is nice.  I especially like the buckles.

spacer.png

...and the port view...Notice that the cockpit for is a different colour and doesn't match up with the camo...spare parts!

spacer.png

I think I might wrap this one up today...

--John

• Like 2

Last bits...attachments or the radio wires...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Painting for some airbrushed exhaust...rigging, final touches...rotors...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Rotor blades grimed with Florywash.   From what I have seen online, these blades became, over time, very worn and used looking.

spacer.png

• Like 2