Goodwood FoS - My Highlights

Sabrejet

These are a few of my highlights from this year's Festival of Speed.

'Car of the Show' award goes to Warwick Mortimer's March 84G, which he brought all the way from New Zealand. It's Mazda rotary-engined, so off to a great start; it also scored because it was a car I'd never seen before, and well it's Group C, so that's the hat-trick! Plus an awesome piece of machinery and by the way, Warwick is also a top bloke, who was more than happy to chat for a good 15 minutes about his pride and joy (he also owns a McLaren M8F, so I'm not jealous at all):

a

Embiricos Bentley. Sublime.

b

Paris-Dakar truck, driven with great gusto:

c

First time I'd seen the ACO's Martini longtail 917 run in anger, so another highlight: I'd seen it in the museum and always assumed it was a non-runner.

d

The winner of prettiest car on show: Abarth 2000SP with Derek Bell on board:

f

I love going to FoS and having a 'WTF' moment (many in fact) and this year I was gobsmacked by this 1936 Avions Voisin C28 Aerosport. Typically quirky for a Voisin, I have to say it was a case of love at first sight. Possibly also the car I'd most liked to have taken home:

g

Mad Abarth OT Periscopo with engine hanging out in a number of places and with novel examples of how you get the air into the engine and the exhaust gases out:

h

This is a bit random but had me enthralled for ages: 3D-printed titanium exhaust on a Pagani Zonda:

i

Cisitalia 202: another example of why I go to FoS:

j

Aston commemorative Q Editions Vantage line-up, each having paint schemes and bodywork tweaks to reflect a key car in A-M's heritage. Left to right are Razor Blade, Ulster, DB3S, AMR-1, DBR9 and GTE. I would liked a bit more red and white and a number '18' on the AMR-1 edition (then I might buy one ;) )

k

Volkswagen iD-R in Nurburgring spec.

l

Five Abarth sports racers: no more to be said really.

m

There was a strange lack of LMP stuff this year. No LM winner in LMP1 or LMP2; or either of the GT classes, and going further I think it was the first FoS I'd attended where there wasn't a single Porsche 956 or 962. A strange omission in a year when there was (for me) too much NASCAR, too much modern F1 and too much drift. Luckily this Ligier JS P217 made up for it a bit: EDIT: it's the LMP3 car, which looks similar but when it fires up, you know it's an LMP3 - they sound gorgeous!

n

And three Aston project cars. Another 'never again' photo opportunity I'd guess.

o

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 8

I went on Thursday and it was a real kid in a candy store day, by 5pm my legs were killing me but there were just too many nice cars to stop.

I sat for some time just staring at the Embiricos Bentley, absolutely stunning car but the Voisin was a close second with the Bugatti 57C Atlantic 3rd.

Stuart

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

You & me both Admiral. Thanks Duncan, I really enjoyed those, there was a mag article about the resto of the Mazda out here recently. Some clever types in our fair shores. :)

Steve.

Funnily enough I was given a copy - nice mag!

• Like 1

Thanks for posting Duncan.  Long time since I was at FOS but time for a visit again I think.  

Off to the Terrenure Classic Car show today with Mrs GB, not of the same magnitude but it should be enjoyable...