Two seat Harrier

Quick update on the Harrier.  Most of my modelling time this week has been taken up with filling and sanding to eliminate seams, so no photos.

what I have also done, following my comparison of the instructions and the moulding, is to break out one of my other Sword Harriers.  The area at the front of the cockpit that is shown in the instructions as an open area is marked in pen below:

48635046001_cd09a0852a_b.jpg

I cut this area out and test fitted the coaming:

48635044941_9c7beb2cf6_b.jpg

Still doesn’t fit, but with some fettling and fine tuning I think this may solve the problems in this area.

AW

• Like 5

On 28/08/2019 at 09:45, Andwil said:

Quick update on the Harrier.  Most of my modelling time this week has been taken up with filling and sanding to eliminate seams, so no photos.

what I have also done, following my comparison of the instructions and the moulding, is to break out one of my other Sword Harriers.  The area at the front of the cockpit that is shown in the instructions as an open area is marked in pen below:

48635046001_cd09a0852a_b.jpg

I cut this area out and test fitted the coaming:

48635044941_9c7beb2cf6_b.jpg

Still doesn’t fit, but with some fettling and fine tuning I think this may solve the problems in this area.

AW

I’m building this kit at the moment. I think, though I haven’t glued it all together yet, I’ve got around this by thinning it, bending it around the instrument panel (you’ll see how far out it is) and supergluing it in place. Test fitting is showing that it now fits and leaves room for the forward canopy. I also had to sand a couple of mm’s off each side. I have no idea why this part is so wrong, unless it’s us 😳

6 hours ago, Mark4700 said:

I’m building this kit at the moment. I think, though I haven’t glued it all together yet, I’ve got around this by thinning it, bending it around the instrument panel (you’ll see how far out it is) and supergluing it in place. Test fitting is showing that it now fits and leaves room for the forward canopy. I also had to sand a couple of mm’s off each side. I have no idea why this part is so wrong, unless it’s us 😳

Nice to know it’s just not me!  The rest of the kit apart from this part is not so bad, typical short run I guess, no locating pins a few gaps and steps, a bit fiddly in places and requires some care.  Oh and one of the wing upper parts was warped.

I’m getting to the point where I will be able to prime so we’ll see how it looks.

AW

• 3 weeks later...

I have returned to the Harrier after a break working on other projects and taking a short break in the country, which is still nice a green and doing some wine tasting.

48681853412_9d08791409_b.jpg

Got stuck into blending in the windscreen and giving the whole plane a rub down with micro mesh.  Added the ventral strikes, a Master brass pitot and a couple of ae behind the cockpit.

48720458468_e44e134b31_b.jpg

Attended to the leading edge and primer on:

48735882492_21c8d10e17_b.jpg

48735373103_447c9dbff0_b.jpg

Still a bit of work required to smooth out the filler in front of the windscreen.  Have to get my skates on to have this finished before @neil5208 starts his and shows me up!

AW

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Mark4700 said:

Nice update. Looking good. Glad to see you’ve sorted out the issue with the  pilots instruments surround. 

Thanks Mark.  I slopped some Mr Surfacer 500 over the windscreen/nose joint and I think this will take care of the last of the uneven finish.

AW

Today I sprayed the black on the fin tip and tail bumper.  When dry the masking was removed:

48773378278_99d798c84d_b.jpg

48773914677_ccf0cee736_b.jpg

Pleased to find very little bleeding so not much touching up required.  The blade antenna under the starboard intake was pulled off with the masking and had to be reattached.

The worst of the bleeds:

48773913487_c53a8f2623_b.jpg

Other parts painted:

48773914687_ca4816c236_b.jpg

Touching up and some detail painting next and then she’ll be ready for decals.

AW

• Like 4

Navigation lights and the red light on top of the fuselage painted with Tamiya clear red and green over silver, jet nozzles attached (not the best fit surprise surprise) and canopy unmasked.

48792127766_17a6d33b4c_b.jpg

48792127746_87757a2a38_b.jpg

AW

• Like 2

Commenced applying decals, got the top and port side done today.  The Arctic Decals are a joy to work with, although handing some of the smaller ones is tricky as they are crammed very close together on the backing paper, there’s not much too hold on to to slide them into position.

48807023253_f0043846da_b.jpg

The Union Flag on the fin is provided in two parts, here only the blue and white base layer has been added, I’ll add the red crosses tomorrow.

48807376051_342328b423_b.jpg

The white panel on the fuselage top was not provided as a decal by Arctic, and I had forgotten to paint it on so it was cut from a section of spare white decal.

AW

• Like 4

Decalling  completed today.  Where yesterday’s session went smoothly, today I had a few problems, firstly some of the smaller stencils broke up into tiny pieces despite careful handling, the one thing I can put it down to is maybe I had the water too warm, even so they were only dipped in for a few seconds as the Arctic Decals release very quickly.  Worse, the roundel I applied to the starboard side had no white section 😡* The sheet had four identical roundels  and this was the last one to be applied.  Had I used it on the white wing undersides it wouldn’t have shown, but on the grey fuselage it looks odd.  Typical.  I searched through my spares for a suitable sized replacement but to no avail.  I will just have to display the model with the port side to the front.

48812542128_5f372b115d_b.jpg

48812542433_2efaa7c79d_b.jpg

AW

* Edit:  following a post from @Vingtor in the RFI I realise that the mistake was mine- two of the roundels were printed without white segments and are meant for the underwing positions, I have obviously used one of these under a wing and one of the other roundels with white under the other wing leaving the other no white roundel for the fuselage.  I should have looked closer at the instructions 🤡

AW

Edited by Andwil
Clarification
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

She’s up on her own four legs.  The main gear and out-riggers went on easily, the nose gear was a bit tricky, not having a definite location point but liberal use of CA gel fixed it in place. 

48835979607_5b610b79e4_b.jpg

Somewhat surprisingly it sits nice and level with all wheels in contact with the ground.

48835804891_65636df3a7_b.jpg

Unfortunately during the handling I managed to pull off part of the serial on the port side.  I’ll have to very carefully touch this up with paint.

48835434943_72774a46fd_b.jpg

Next task is to attach a plethora of tiny PE antennae and even tinier yaw vanes.

AW

• Like 3

The small blade antennae have bee added, along with the yaw vanes.  I also made up the towel rail aerial.  Whilst looking at photos of G-VTOL for placement and colouring of the antennae, I noticed that Vingtor had the colour of the ventral fin wrong, it should be white not medium sea grey, so this was repainted (that will teach me for not checking references earlier). I also touched up the broken serial decal.  I’m calling this done, only a further clear coat to add a bit more sheen and then I’ll put up an RFI.

48857839552_a5faf88e1d_b.jpg

48857839112_210f8de69e_b.jpg

48857838372_7e7e5de950_b.jpg

It’s been a challenging build and there is lots I could have done better, but I am just glad to have it finished.

AW

• Like 3