Convair B-58 Hustler (Italeri 1/72)

Congratulations Bill, superb model and it has been enlightening as well as entertaining to follow this build.  I agree with all the other endorsements, well done. :worthy:

Best Regards.

Bob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent model of a fascinating aircraft. Just one question about the original - did they have to get volunteers to crew seats two and three - they couldn't see much from in there!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Definitely one for a contest.

I have my hopes... our local IPMS chapter has its show & contest in late August. Last year I brought home a silver with my SR-71. The Hustler will be in the same category for competition. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MR2Don said:

...did they have to get volunteers to crew seats two and three - they couldn't see much from in there!

LOL But they both had radar screens, the Navigator/Bombardier’s looking forward and the DSO’s gun radar looking to the rear.

2 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Outstanding work, Bill! The NMF looks superb and shiny - just like a real! :like: Congratulations! :party:

Thanks Nikolay. I airbrushed a generous coat of Alclad Aqua Gloss after decaling, I was concerned when it began to pool on the Hustler’s big wing and looked milky in spots, but it dried perfectly clear and is nicely shiny. 

• Thanks 1

Wow- best build of a B-58 I have seen in a long time! If you hadn't identified it, one would think you were working from the 1/48 Monogram Hustler! Outstanding exhaust staining and heat discoloration on the engine 'hot' sections....you even managed to get all 18 wheels on the ground at the same angle- I am impressed! I was lucky enough to have seen them fly back in the early sixties- an awesome beast that was 'way ahead of its electronics and engine management controls. Very, very nice job, and you picked the very best scheme and markings for your project.

Mike

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

....you even managed to get all 18 wheels on the ground at the same angle- I am impressed! 

Thanks so much Mike. I never saw a Hustler fly (or even on the ground) but at least I’ve seen SR-71 Blackbirds do flybys. 

To ensure all wheels were touching, I used slow-setting tube glue on the main bogies and then placed the model on a pane of flat glass. One bogie kept sliding to a toe-out position, but I was able to fixed that by putting tape on the glass to increase friction between the wheels and glass while the glue hardened. 

• Like 1

Billn43,

Your build of this record-breaking Hustler reminded me of another one. On 12 January, 1961, a B-58A-10-CF serialed 59-2442, named "Untouchable" flew from Carswell AB, Texas to Edwards AB, California, and flew two laps of 1,000km each and set six new speed records, averaging 1,061.82 mph. The pilot was a Major Henry J. Deutschendorf. The major's other claim to fame, besides his airmanship, was that he was the father of Henry J. Deutschendorf, jr., otherwise known as singer, songwriter, actor John Denver. See the link below for more information.

Mike

https://airforce.togetherweserved.com/usaf/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=ShadowBoxProfile&type=Person&ID=206765

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Billn43,

Your build of this record-breaking Hustler reminded me of another one. On 12 January, 1961, a B-58A-10-CF serialed 59-2442, named "Untouchable" flew from Carswell AB, Texas to Edwards AB, California, and flew two laps of 1,000km each and set six new speed records, averaging 1,061.82 mph. The pilot was a Major Henry J. Deutschendorf. The major's other claim to fame, besides his airmanship, was that he was the father of Henry J. Deutschendorf, jr., otherwise known as singer, songwriter, actor John Denver. See the link below for more information.

Mike

https://airforce.togetherweserved.com/usaf/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=ShadowBoxProfile&type=Person&ID=206765

Very cool!

This is probably the best build of the B-58 kit I've ever seen.  The bare metal pain job looks fantastic and the  work on the open hatches and interior details really takes it to the next level.   

Edited by mdauben

Just now, mdauben said:

This is probably the best build of the B-58 I've ever seen.  The bare metal pain job looks fantastic and the  work on the open hatches and interior details really takes it to the next level.   

Many thanks!