Mikromir Victor B.1 1/144

I finally got hold of this kit! Super hyped to build her. 

f775730bc2ff8adccbef985a1057f57b.jpg

It's a shame the box art features something halfway between a Victor B.1 and B.2 because it's otherwise very nice.

The plan was to build her in anti flash white as clean as possible, so no refueling bits at all. But I think I'll wait for a decal set to come out (hopefully including XA918), and I'll build her as XA940 as per the decals included in the kit.

5a0571f09c0f2f41164ba9c3fd5546d6.jpg

I taped her together, and she definitely looks like a Victor B.1. 

68a0e3bfafb6fe893ea78b8168717543.jpg

That centre section doesn't fit.... A light sand should fix that, as per @robvulcan's experience.

• Like 2

The kit contains photoetch, which unfortunately is not optional. Until now I have avoided using photoetch parts at all. I guess it's time to learn how.... Anyone able to give me the basics?

08030793ed7f995c03e9463477421fda.jpg

• Like 2

Ok.... Might be back with the plan of a white or silver Victor.

Did all Victor B.1s in white and silver have large serials under the wings, and what size were they?

I just realised I need another roundel to do this, it's an absolute pain not having any spare decals in this scale....... I really want to do this in silver or white, but haven't got the decals for it...

Edited by Adam Poultney

Hey I actually started building now!

c53a643f450c63c7d1665c9a3fb883eb.jpg

Well wells in, they did not fit, not until I sanded them at least. But that's to be expected from this kit, I'm fine with that because it's an early V Bomber.

84e9e8c4b886dfbc39632ac88281e576.jpg

The cockpit is very simple, but certainty better than nothing, which many airliner kits in this scale give you. I left off the control columns because it's just not worth adding them in this scale.

073ca64a4b1adeb57940ccb9e2afc075.jpg

It's painted black

92da251867334f3fc04df03c4e3d40cf.jpg

This is nice, semi hollowed out how are provided for two of the schemes included which have parts that would be added on the outside. I'm not building either of those schemes.

The scheme I finally decided on is XA940 in camo without the refueling pods. There is a picture in the linked thread that I am using to base the model on

I don't think the red lines are applied to the wings here, but I'm not 100% sure.

14cf80f40b2e97baf4c568c04a0d6d6d.jpg

Fuselage halves together. There are no locating pins unfortunately, and I have not added the windows in the side as they're so small, I will add them after with some PVA which I tried on a Tu144 in this scale (really must finish that model), and it dried clear enough.

484235953f05d5c3c0afef2ea4274d40.jpg

The fuselage halves fit fine with a bit of care.

• Like 3

Did all Victor B.1s in white and silver have large serials under the wings, and what size were they?

All Victor B1s in white and High Speed Silver, (with full colour markings, not later low-viz) had the serials in black, as for size, in 1/144th, they would come out at 8.5mm in height, the block being 29mm in length.  Remember the serials were orientated in different directions as per this image of XA918 trialling Red Neck SLAR pods.

Victor B1 underwing serials

I don't think the red lines are applied to the wings here, but I'm not 100% sure.

The Dayglo alignment stripes weren't applied to XA940, it was used for crew conversion.

• Like 2

Update time:

Got the lower wing on with a bit of sanding, and the tail is on now as well.

Both required a bit of filler, and the tail was difficult to get right. The plastic is very thin and easily damaged when removing the parts. It is best to glue them on all at once to position everything correctly.

6c3dcb074975f52f3835ef8503477067.jpg

Kinda reminds me of those Russian ekranoplans looking like that. I really want to build one of them some day.

439f7c684ef80bed26f952b034dbff66.jpg

From behind

74f3b469507621caa45af34152a6dcb7.jpg

And underneath. This will require a little more cleaning up. 

769db4593ca97c646ecbb61a85df2ec7.jpg

44a8032a436fd823cb8605e3c9d4c99f.jpg

• Like 4

Intakes are done now. 

I believe this is accurate, having looked over many many images and paint guides from 1/72 scale decal sets that I wish were produced in 1/144. I mislabeled the intake parts when I removed the parts, so that caused a bit of confusion over which part as which, but I figured it out.

d25dd917aa66892025c48be768edf8e4.jpg

14c8ede249aa57563b0630b285053709.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, general melchett said:

All Victor B1s in white and High Speed Silver, (with full colour markings, not later low-viz) had the serials in black, as for size, in 1/144th, they would come out at 8.5mm in height, the block being 29mm in length.  Remember the serials were orientated in different directions as per this image of XA918 trialling Red Neck SLAR pods.

Victor B1 underwing serials

The Dayglo alignment stripes weren't applied to XA940, it was used for crew conversion.

Good information, thank you. I'm not a fan of the Dayglo stripes, so this works out nicely.

I think by the next time I build one of these, a decal set will be out which should cater for the serials. I would like to do one in silver and one in white.

Very nice!

PE:

TIME, PATIENCE, little superglue, sharp knife, sharp scissors?, twizzers, .... bending tool? Easy ;)

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

Very nice - you are flying along with this. Really interesting to see a WIP of this kit so thank you for taking the time to take and post build shots. I have one which I would like to build later this summer so will use you as a reference!

• Thanks 1

You're probably better off using Robvulcan's build for reference. His will likely end up better than mine. I actually have the wings on now and need to post up another update.

Likewise. My grandfather commanded 50 Squadron’s Vulcan B.1s in the early 1960s, including during the Cuban missile crisis. I crave an early Vulcan in this scale (which I seem to have happily settled in). Here’s hoping anyway. 

Update time:

Intakes on, a combination of too many elastic bands, a couple of pegs (clamps love to slip off) and holding them in place with my hands.

6741f84aca22ec540ae2d286e98f4cb4.jpg

They don't quite fit unfortunately, but they'll do.

I also sprayed the inside of the wing to get to the wheel well sides, and where the jet pipes should go, which I will not be putting in. As with Robvulcan's kit, mine do not fit.

1eaed89967632984ac4a03ac7e850cfe.jpg

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

Close up of the intake joint. Not a brilliant picture, I know, but you can see how it fits.

b5975107023a3604c74f1216a00bb86a.jpg

Wings on with far far far too many clamps and pegs when I ran out of those. The pegs are great as they have rubber grips so rarely slip. An elastic land was also used to hold it all together.

I don't know if you can see it, but one of the wings has significant damage to the leading edge when I removed the parts from the sprue, and I'm currently working on fixing that. One of the chunks taken out is a bit too big for filler, so I'm going to use milliput. There is a small gap between the wing and fuselage.

Additionally, the thin back edge on the wings and stabilisers. 

Wow my desk is chaotic.....

b8eedb032b6b8d68b6ef2d624e27fa61.jpg

I took a short break to work on a 1/48 Airfix Meteor (lovely kit), but spilled Tamiya Extra Thin (first time though....) over my desk. Thankfully, I had moved the Victor out of the way otherwise she may have been damaged. A small amount of glue got on the nose gear of the meteor, but fortunately nothing else was damaged other than a paintbrush, and even then, the actual bristles are fine.

• Like 2

Also, can anyone comment on the accuracy of the photoetch fins that go on the airbrakes. They don't look the same as the airbrakes on the B.2, I don't know if they were changed or not.

• Like 1

Update:

Replacing the kit pitots with cut down pins. In this scale, they'll be good enough.

70aed4732abf7092c1c5ddd30ee81906.jpg

Looks decent I thinks

10499399d5eb79b2ec30c220e94d3daf.jpg

Canopy parts on, nose probe somehow on.....

Photoetch next..... Someone help me.....

b0330984b9a0e5550135249cfe5cbb7f.jpg

I got superglue on the back of my hand :(

Used plastic glue to help remove it, acetone us supposed to dissolve superglue.

This will have to do because putting them on sucked! I think the lower fins are wrong and should be smaller and a different shape.

d4791290c6f46b0994472f0a253057f6.jpg

I have quite a wishlist of potential future aftermarket parts....

New canopy that fits better, also including the nose probe as part of the bomb aimer's window part. 

New pitot tubes

Decals!!! Antiflash and silver.

Correct airbrakes fins (preferably whole new airbrakes without photoetch)

Weighted wheels (although non weighted seems to be the standard in this scale)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

One of the fins fell off..... Please send help

Hi Adam,

Awesome build of such a nice subject! In order to secure those fins I'd suggest you first score notches the same width and length on the place where they go. That way the PE fins are going to have some rim as to support them better.

Cheers,

Unc2

5 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Hi Adam,

Awesome build of such a nice subject! In order to secure those fins I'd suggest you first score notches the same width and length on the place where they go. That way the PE fins are going to have some rim as to support them better.

Cheers,

Unc2

I tried doing that but the superglue and PE parts had other ideas....

I wish they just molded them on, and gave photoetch as an optional replacement