Monogram 1/48 Grumman F9F Panther

An older build that finally made it out to the airport. This is the 1/48 Monogram Panther, painted with ModelMaster gloss dark blue. I would’ve liked to take more pics but I was afraid the gusty wind might take her airborne any minute. 😉 (there's that wind again!😁) This kit has a lot of nice detail, especially the cockpit. The framing on the windscreen was way too big so I sanded it all off and masked it with tape to get the more correct size frame. I read about the canopy frame issue in FSM years ago. I was really hesitant to sand them off but I jumped in and gave it a try. Believe me, I was worried that it would never look right again. But my ol’ dad used to say, “Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then.”   And I did find that acorn! Whew, a lot of polishing saved the day!

It’s been a long time since the kit was built, but I don’t recall any particular fit issues. I approached the canopy frame issue with great trepidation, but it turned out okay. As I said earlier, the cockpit has some nice detail and features, but one does find that in many Monogram kits of this vintage. I am going to replace the cannon barrels with hypodermic tubing as one of the kit barrels has fallen back into the fuselage since these pics were made.  🤦‍♂️ The metal parts will look better anyway. The decals are a mix of aftermarket and kit markings. Please excuse the crooked canopy in one of the overhead shots. I left it unattached so I could pose it either opened or closed and I didn’t notice that it was askew before I took the pic. Thanks for checking out my  old Panther and thanks for the likes and comments!😀

overheadbest.jpg

portfrontgood.jpg

portoverheadturned.jpg

PICT4657.jpg

overheadok.jpg

overheadfrontgood.jpg

GrummanPantherfront-1.jpg

topviewseat-good.jpg

topviewseatandconsoles-good.jpg

rightsideconsole-good.jpg

• Like 39

Nice, I really like the Panther and I have that kit stashed away in a rather battered box. It's definitely on my to do list and if I even come close to your standard I'd be very happy. 

Great Job. 

• Like 1

Very nice indeed!

How was the nose spiral to apply? It always looked a little scary to me! 😁

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, noelh said:

Nice, I really like the Panther and I have that kit stashed away in a rather battered box. It's definitely on my to do list and if I even come close to your standard I'd be very happy. 

Great Job. 

Thanks noel!  Give it a go, I'm sure it will look great! 😀

33 minutes ago, Steve27752 said:

Very nice.

Thanks Steve!  

30 minutes ago, Spad said:

Very nice indeed!

How was the nose spiral to apply? It always looked a little scary to me! 😁

Thanks Spad!🍻  It was scary, believe me.  And still, it doesn't look quite correct I think.  Those nose spirals are scary to me and I've only done two; this Panther and on my Fw-190D-9.  I think I always hold my breath until it's on and sealed! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lovely work, it is one of my favourite Monogram models and yours is a great example. I an still trying to locate a good boxing of the Bridgesof Toko Ri edition. I bought what I thought was a good one this year but the decals were shot.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

Lovely work, it is one of my favourite Monogram models and yours is a great example. I an still trying to locate a good boxing of the Bridgesof Toko Ri edition. I bought what I thought was a good one this year but the decals were shot.

Thank you Silver Fox! :worthy: I think it's one of the best of the old Monogram kits.  A lot of bang for the buck fer sure! 😉

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RMCS said:

Fantastic 

🍻  😀

6 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

The Panther is, IMHO, one of the slickest looking fighters of all times.

Your model does her justice and then some.

Kind regards,

Joachim

I agree; mostly I just really dig the early jets, second and third gen.  So many cool designs and great looking jets to choose from too.

Thanks for the kind words Joachim!!😎

Really nicely made Panther  -I really like the angle in the second photo - I also have this Monogram Panther in my stash so this might be the inspiration I need to get it started

CJP

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CJP said:

Really nicely made Panther  -I really like the angle in the second photo - I also have this Monogram Panther in my stash so this might be the inspiration I need to get it started

CJP

Thanks CJP!

6 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Looks really very good! The outdoor pic‘s are amazing.

Thx for sharing! ✌️✌️✌️

best regards

Andy 

Thanks Andy!   The pics make her look better; it seems they all look better out there at the airport.😉

Much like vags incredible Panther on that carrier deck, they just look so much more "at home". 😀

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mark Joyce said:

Great looking Panther and equally nice photos, Gary!  That cockpit is especially well done.  You have good eyes and a steady hand to paint all those dials.

Cheers,

Mark

Hey, thanks so much Mark! 🍺 I wish I had more pics of this plane; maybe it's due a trip out to the airport for another session.  About that cockpit; I wish I could paint that way...that's just some dry-brushing that paid off.  😉

Cool,

Amother Monogram classic. I'm not really a fan of jets but the 1950's and 60's stuff is quite appealling as modelling subjects. 

Once again very well photographed and presented Gary. 

Thanks for sharing 🍺 Greg

• Like 1

An excellent build of a classic 50's jet and a classic Monogram kit! Just imagine what they could have turned out if they had stayed in business, as their "old" kits are still the class of the field in many instances. Sigh...if they had only done a dash 5 in 1/72 scale!. Thanks for sharing your build with us- well done!

Mike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Cool,

Amother Monogram classic. I'm not really a fan of jets but the 1950's and 60's stuff is quite appealling as modelling subjects. 

Once again very well photographed and presented Gary. 

Thanks for sharing 🍺 Greg

Thanks so much Greg! 🍻  As a child of the '50s and '60s,  I guess I have a built in attraction to those birds.   I can remember zooming toy versions of the Panther, F-5, F-100 and Crusader around the yard and my room as a kid.   There's a romance and appeal to those early jets that I just don't feel in their modern day counterparts, as cool as they might be in their own right!

49 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

An excellent build of a classic 50's jet and a classic Monogram kit! Just imagine what they could have turned out if they had stayed in business, as their "old" kits are still the class of the field in many instances. Sigh...if they had only done a dash 5 in 1/72 scale!. Thanks for sharing your build with us- well done!

Mike

Thank you Mike! :worthy: You are so right, Monogram did produce some classic kits and many are still considered the standard for their scale and type.  Their accurate shapes can be seen in models as early as their 1/48 Spitfire Mk IX and Dauntless kits.  Both of those were designed by Bill Koster, I've been told.   And both of which we may see here on the forum before too long...😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Greg Law said:

That's looking really good Gary. That nose marking must have been a challenge. 

Muchas gracias mi amigo! 😎  I appreciate that a lot.  Yeah, decals like that scare me to death.   I saved it for last, if I recall correctly, and just about held my breath putting it on and still it's not perfect...but passable for me, lol.  😀