1/48 Ta152H replacement windscreen options

Gardner95x

Hi all!

I’m missing a windshield on my Dragon/Italeri 1/48 Ta-152h (The sliding canopy is there) and was wondering the best place to get spares from is?

I noticed Dragon Care but was unsure if it was USA only.

Or is it easier to just buy the same kit? 

Thanks

Jack

Edited by Gardner95x

46 minutes ago, Gardner95x said:

I’m missing a windshield on my Dragon/Italeri 1/48 Ta-152h (The sliding canopy is there) and was wondering the best place to get spares from is?

AFAIK the windscreen is the same as a Fw 190,  so anything that fits will work, especially if you build with the hood open.  

You can try getting a spare off Dragon,  butr I have heard mixed stories about their spares, but certainly worth an email.

it may help that the new tool Eduard Fw190 kit has multiple canopies as standard, including 2 windscreens

82145_05.jpg

this is from the A8/R2 kit,  so one of those may fit.    I'm not sure of the differences between the screens,  but some research and questions will give you an answer.

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/plastic-kits/profipack/aircraft/fw-190a-8-r2-1-48-1.html?lang=1

@tank152  would be liable to know.(and what else might fit)   It maybe that the alternate windscreens are early/late,  but maybe a way of getting an easy replacement.  I'd not surprised if the Eduard new tool blown hood is an improvement on the Dragon one...

If I get chance I can have a look at a Ta152 and a Fw 190 and see,  but that means a load of stash digging.

The Falcon canopy set linked is for a rammjager, which may have additional armour on the windscreen.

this set has a blown hood for the Monogram or Otaki kits 

http://falconmodels.co.nz/clearvax/set03.html

they are bother very good dimensionally, so maybe of use.

HTH

PS this is a very badly worded thread title,  if you use 'edit' you could change to "1/48 Ta152 replacement windscreen options."  which shows at glance what you are asking

34 minutes ago, Gardner95x said:

Okay thanks I’ll have a look at it and are those vacuform canopies easy to use? I’ve never used them before so just wondering

How much of a rush are you in? 

Are you planing on getting any more fw190's?   If you are thinking of getting an edaurd kit,  you may want to wait, and use a spare windscreen. 

The vac canopies are not for everyone,  

http://falconmodels.co.nz/howto.html

and a set will cost only a bit less than a Eduard weekend Fw190, and the same canopy  tree is in the early kits a quick check has shown.

or if you are in a model club, see if anyone has a spare canopy.    when you get 100 posts here, you can use the wanted section.

I'd wait until on of the fw nuts pitches in with some test fits though.

Actually, the Ta152 windscreen has some differences to that of the FW190. Ta152:

spacer.png

FW190:

spacer.png

Though the dimensions are essentially the same, there are some obvious differences along the frames. It is possible to modify a FW190 windscreen if you are comfortable with scratch building. I know as I had to do this when I found that my DML windscreen was a terrible fit as shown here:

spacer.png

It was far too narrow at the armoured windscreen interstction with the fuselage so I replaced it with an Eduard FW190D-9 windscreen which fit perfectly. The rolled metal on the frame was simulated by sanding a piece of styrene rod flat and gluing it along the edge of the frame and covering the bolt recesses. Not fully happy with the results but when viewed from a safe distance it's passable.

spacer.png

Edited by Crimea River
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Crimea River said:

Actually, the Ta152 windscreen has some differences to that of the FW190. Ta152:

spacer.png

FW190:

spacer.png

Though the dimensions are essentially the same, there are some obvious differences along the frames. It is possible to modify a FW190 windscreen if you are comfortable with scratch building. I know as I had to do this when I found that my DML windscreen was cracked. I replaced it with an Eduard FW190D-9 windscreen and simulated the roll by sanding a piece of styrene rod flat and gluing it along the edge of the frame and covering the bolt recesses. Not fully happy with the results but when viewed from a safe distance it's passable.

spacer.png

Hi,

I’m not the best at scratch building etc as I’ve only just got into modelling so I’ll wait till I come across another kit on eBay 

Thanks for the help everyone

Sorry Jack, I was editing my post when you responded. I incorreclty said that the DML part was cracked when in fact the part was fine but a very poor fit. I added a pic to show this so, even if you did get a replacement part, it may not be ideal.

33 minutes ago, Crimea River said:

Sorry Jack, I was editing my post when you responded. I incorreclty said that the DML part was cracked when in fact the part was fine but a very poor fit. I added a pic to show this so, even if you did get a replacement part, it may not be ideal.

Ah right my mistake so would an Eduard blown canopy fit okay do you think then? 

8 hours ago, Crimea River said:

I only used the Eduard windscreen which ended up being a perfect fit. The sliding canopy is from the DML kit so I can't really say if that part will work.

Hi,

Okay I have the sliding canopy part so I’ll just grab a Eduard windshield, I’m having it open anyway.

regards

Jack