Testors (ex-Hawk) 1/48 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt

This Republic P-47D Razorback, a 1/48 scale Testors kit (a re-pop of the very old Hawk P-47), was built many years ago. The build was inspired by one done by Dr. Paul Budzik of Francis "Gabby" Gabreskis' T-Bolt in an old Finescale Modeller magazine. I remember that his was done in 1/32 and of course, was a magnificent model. I had the old Testors kit in my stash and was motivated to try and duplicate the bigger plane as best I could. This is my humble result. I added quite a bit of detail in the cockpit, on the engine and some brake lines. Built mostly OOB, I did lower the horizontal stabilizers, open the cowl flaps and drill out the gun barrels as well. This kit had the option of building either the razorback or bubbletop version; I went with the razorback because that part seemed to fit a little better. 😉 This was also one of the first builds where I tried to modulate the paint finish a bit but it is almost unseen in the pics.  Heck, looking at them now, I can't see it!😁   I’m sure I was too timid in my efforts. The decals mark her as a 84th Fighter Squadron plane with the 78th Fighter Group, operating out of Duxford, Cambridge in 1944 flown by Major Quince Brown.  (http://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/173590)

Thanks for your interest and comments! 

Gary

da3447c4-7e77-4001-80dd-25650d7ef0cb.jpg

portreargoodwindsock.jpg

starboardsidebrightsun.jpg

straightuptop.jpg

topviewcockpit1.jpg

portreargood.jpg

frontportfullviewgood.jpg

portfrontclosegood2.jpg

SBsidefromreargood.jpg

SBfromrear.jpg

portsidefromrear.jpg

portside2newhanger.jpg

overhead.jpg

P-47Dattheairport.jpg

Edited by Gary Brantley
spelling error
  • Like 25

Great effort Gary. Probably the best result I've seen for this kit but the cowling front does look strange.

As I just commented in some other post:

I purchased this kit when reissued by Italeri/Testors in the 80's. I felt some disappointment when I compared it to my (also not perfect) 1/48 Monogram models. The main parts have been used up over time for colour tests but I still own a few pieces.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Great effort Gary. Probably the best result I've seen for this kit but the cowling front does look strange.

As I just commented in some other post:

I purchased this kit when reissued by Italeri/Testors in the 80's. I felt some disappointment when I compared it to my (also not perfect) 1/48 Monogram models. The main parts have been used up over time for colour tests but I still own a few pieces.

Cheers, Michael

Thanks Michael!  I appreciate your kind comments a lot. 🍺  I've also got a Monogram P-47D bubbletop in my stash and hope it will see the light of day sometimes.  What is it about the cowling face on this one that doesn't look right?  You've had me going back over the pics. 🙂   I'm not too surprised in an error, given the model and the modeler.😉  Thanks again my friend!

• Like 1

Not at all your fault Gary. The cowling opening of the Hawk/Testors model is too narrow creating a strange slant upwards. Btw, the Monogram cowling opening, inconveniently, is too wide but this may be corrected by inserting a plastic strip/ring at the front and sanding it flush. Perhaps some of the more recent kits have a better nose? 🤔

Best, Michael

• Like 1

Gary,

Thanks for showing your model.  Looks still excellent;   only that cowl........🙄

Michael is right about the front part, also when you view the side profile, you see much incorrect roundings.

Well it is history now, fortunately we have better ones nowadays ! 

Greetings,

JohnHaa

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JohnHaa said:

Gary,

Thanks for showing your model.  Looks still excellent;   only that cowl........🙄

Michael is right about the front part, also when you view the side profile, you see much incorrect roundings.

Well it is history now, fortunately we have better ones nowadays ! 

Greetings,

JohnHaa

Thanks so much John!  Much appreciated sir!! 🍻  I've read that Tamiya's P-47D was hard to beat.  Is it really the best in 1/48?

Gary,

I have only build the older kits: an Otaki and two Monogram Models.  According what I read, the Tamiya Model seems one of the best.  So not a difficult choise. 

Greetings

JohnHaa

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RMCS said:

Lovley 

Thanks RMCS! 🍺

18 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

Very nice. I have one in the stash and hope it turns out half as nice.

George

Many thanks George! 🍺   Yours will turn out great; please post it here when you're done! 😀

• 1 year later...
On 05/07/2019 at 14:38, Gary Brantley said:

This Republic P-47D Razorback, a 1/48 scale Testors kit (a re-pop of the very old Hawk P-47), was built many years ago. The build was inspired by one done by Dr. Paul Budzik of Francis "Gabby" Gabreskis' T-Bolt in an old Finescale Modeller magazine. I remember that his was done in 1/32 and of course, was a magnificent model. I had the old Testors kit in my stash and was motivated to try and duplicate the bigger plane as best I could. This is my humble result. I added quite a bit of detail in the cockpit, on the engine and some brake lines. Built mostly OOB, I did lower the horizontal stabilizers, open the cowl flaps and drill out the gun barrels as well. This kit had the option of building either the razorback or bubbletop version; I went with the razorback because that part seemed to fit a little better. 😉 This was also one of the first builds where I tried to modulate the paint finish a bit but it is almost unseen in the pics.  Heck, looking at them now, I can't see it!😁   I’m sure I was too timid in my efforts. The decals mark her as a 84th Fighter Squadron plane with the 78th Fighter Group, operating out of Duxford, Cambridge in 1944 flown by Major Quince Brown.  (http://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/173590)

Thanks for your interest and comments! 

Gary

da3447c4-7e77-4001-80dd-25650d7ef0cb.jpg

portreargoodwindsock.jpg

starboardsidebrightsun.jpg

straightuptop.jpg

topviewcockpit1.jpg

portreargood.jpg

frontportfullviewgood.jpg

portfrontclosegood2.jpg

SBsidefromreargood.jpg

SBfromrear.jpg

portsidefromrear.jpg

portside2newhanger.jpg

overhead.jpg

P-47Dattheairport.jpg

Outstanding build and finish!. The photos are superbly posed, so realistic.I particularly love the cowling colour and the top and bottom colour scheme looks ..perfect! Love the chalked message on the bomb too! .This kit maybe only a year younger than me but still holds it's own. Thanks for directing me to this !

• Like 2

You've taken a very old (I remember the original HAWK issue) kit and done a magnificent work on it. Very well done and the photography is excellent.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

You've taken a very old (I remember the original HAWK issue) kit and done a magnificent work on it. Very well done and the photography is excellent.

Yes sir, she is a real oldie. 😃  The Scalemates timeline for this kit goes back to '43.  I just wonder if some changes must've been made over the years.

Thank you SAT69 for the great compliments! 🥃  I was pretty proud of her way back when the model was built.  Oh, it didn't come close to Dr. Budzik's 1/32 version but it was a good finish for me.  As for the photography, hey, even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then. Thanks from this ol' "blind hog"!😃

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
14 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I still love this build and the way it's photographed! For me  It doesn't matter about the kits inaccuracies.. it just looks so realistic! Regards

Andy

Hey Andy, thanks so much for those comments! 🍻   I realize we're resurrecting a long-dead thread, but I'm always happy to see my ol' "Okie" get some love and appreciation.  :thumbsup: You made a great start for my day in Texas!    Our weather is about to change and we'll have temps in the low 20s and high teens Fahrenheit.   That's pretty cold for the heart of Texas!  😀

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

Hey Andy, thanks so much for those comments! 🍻   I realize we're resurrecting a long-dead thread, but I'm always happy to see my ol' "Okie" get some love and appreciation.  :thumbsup: You made a great start for my day in Texas!    Our weather is about to change and we'll have temps in the low 20s and high teens Fahrenheit.   That's pretty cold for the heart of Texas!  😀

Good Morning Gary!.. My pleasure!. I'm a bit of a 'Jug' fan myself and have done 2 in the last year. Came back to your RFI and impressed once again! It's cold enough to 'freeze the brass nuts of a monkey' here as we say! too. Pity i don't have an airfield with photogenic hangers within easy reach of me here ;-(

Have a nice Day Sir!

Regards

Andy

• Thanks 1

Ooooh, I'm so glad I'm not a brass monkey!  😁  Brrrrr...heh, heh, my wife would tell you that some old men are always cold.   She lives with one so she would know!  😉

Hey, there has been a lot of work going on at the airport lately.   I've seen some resurfacing and what appears to be preparations for new hangars.   I've got a few older models that have never had their turn before the lens and have been wanting to try out a new photo technique or two.     I have thought about hauling my Meteor Prototype Number One over to nearby Rockdale in order to make use of their cool old hangar.    Would this hangar (seen behind the Typhoon?) look appropriate with that bird?

portfrontrockdalegood.jpg

• Like 1

Yes Gary!  i'm an older gentleman these days! Not retired yet! but can onlu=y hope

I think the Typhoon looks very good against that Old hanger backdrop. 

I'm doing a 1:32 Tempest V based on the aircraft my uncle Peter flew in .. and crashed! I've come across a lot of stuff naturally about 'Tiffys' in my Tempest research.

I've included the WIP thread i've started if you might be interested? 

Strangely enough i used to work on Hawker's Langley Farm site in West London when i worked for Virgin Media. It's all housing and light industrial units now.  The building i worked mostly in was on 'Hurricane Way' - What else! lol

One of my tutors at University was working at Hawkers in Langley during WW2.the then Miss Beryl Platt.  Later Baroness Platt of Writtle ! She was an aerodynamicist and a woman to boot! She must have been very good to challenge the gender landscape of those days. A very interesting woman to talk to. Sadly she passed away recently. 

Regards

Andy

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Yes Gary!  i'm an older gentleman these days! Not retired yet! but can onlu=y hope

I think the Typhoon looks very good against that Old hanger backdrop. 

I'm doing a 1:32 Tempest V based on the aircraft my uncle Peter flew in .. and crashed! I've come across a lot of stuff naturally about 'Tiffys' in my Tempest research.

I've included the WIP thread i've started if you might be interested? 

Strangely enough i used to work on Hawker's Langley Farm site in West London when i worked for Virgin Media. It's all housing and light industrial units now.  The building i worked mostly in was on 'Hurricane Way' - What else! lol

One of my tutors at University was working at Hawkers in Langley during WW2.the then Miss Beryl Platt.  Later Baroness Platt of Writtle ! She was an aerodynamicist and a woman to boot! She must have been very good to challenge the gender landscape of those days. A very interesting woman to talk to. Sadly she passed away recently. 

Regards

Andy

I retired in 2016, after teaching 7th and 8th grade History for 17 years.   Retirement has been grand; the money's not great, but having the time to do what you want, when you want, is great.

Would that style of old hangar be appropriate for displaying the Meteor?   I have no idea about where they were tested or based, or what type facilities were there.   I suspect that the old Quonset-type hangar at the Rockdale airport dates back to that era though.    

Thanks for the link; I'm going to give a good look!  👍

That's quite interesting about your university tutor.  It sounds as though she was an amazing woman, and a true pioneer in her work too.   I've always thought that one of the most interesting things about the "university experience" is the chance of crossing paths with fascinating and notable personalities.    Way back in 1975, I took a political science course at the University of Texas, in Austin.  The instructor was a visiting lecturer and my advisor might've even mentioned that he was quite well known.   Many years later I learned that Eric Voegelin was indeed a world famous philosopher.    I was so far out of my depth in that class that it was embarrassing.   Alas, he and I were but two ships passing through life, lol.  😄

10 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

I retired in 2016, after teaching 7th and 8th grade History for 17 years.   Retirement has been grand; the money's not great, but having the time to do what you want, when you want, is great.

Would that style of old hangar be appropriate for displaying the Meteor?   I have no idea about where they were tested or based, or what type facilities were there.   I suspect that the old Quonset-type hangar at the Rockdale airport dates back to that era though.    

Thanks for the link; I'm going to give a good look!  👍

That's quite interesting about your university tutor.  It sounds as though she was an amazing woman, and a true pioneer in her work too.   I've always thought that one of the most interesting things about the "university experience" is the chance of crossing paths with fascinating and notable personalities.    Way back in 1975, I took a political science course at the University of Texas, in Austin.  The instructor was a visiting lecturer and my advisor might've even mentioned that he was quite well known.   Many years later I learned that Eric Voegelin was indeed a world famous philosopher.    I was so far out of my depth in that class that it was embarrassing.   Alas, he and I were but two ships passing through life, lol.  😄

History is a wonderful subject indeed!. I've rediscovered my passion for it by looking at the archive documents and their interpretation and analysis. I'll retire with enough to live on eventually. My partner is a school Principle so will get a reasonable pension. I only have my savings ! and in 12 years time a small State pension.  My mother bless her when she was alive would go to my partner's school and talk to young kids about her wartime experiences. Being bombed out in London and Sunderland 3 times. A child Evacuee at the start of the war. 

That style of old hanger would suit a Meteor. The Gloucester Company  an old site dating from WW1 days i think. The hangers would i believe be just of that 'vintage'.. 

I concur about the University experience indeed. Pity i never asked her about her Hawker's experiences!. She was a very remarkable woman no doubt about that! 

Kind Regards

Andy

• Thanks 1