Hi All,

The postie brought me this yesterday:-

eMMLym_U30Ry0NmSJn0-kt4jhzszXGjfLxVLDfV7

y4OiK-N4zTemWSyqaKXgKlu748gzgV_UWqvpXDrT

xuwkrIYp7y2va9Nh3ExYIzkJaTR3lOEsJdST3nFy

V7oQ_mhu1N9Y7Wpjf5ZTXLOxegjdQwSmesaAFD-E

...and now with added French peasant.

Nz22m9LJGMano27Y8jyj4qo3yf-rE0AtrPgnBlD6

I'm looking forward to building this.  The Churchill was just so odd looking, but so useful.

Dave.

• Like 6

Hi All

It's been a very easy build so far.

sh1dUwUyObhdU89eDXpMtF_gZ3snOSjda6vBYj0e

hlOO27uv5zJ8DqJv-kCt_zI1vBOqo2I55oraPO74

gEimgsc8N20VogmU02DBj2nKaEX8GTBJFupCpCAO

It's only taken a few hours to get this far.  Of course there's still a sqillion wheels to do, but at least they don't have rims to paint.  The figures are quite nice - I suppose I'll have to think about a base for them to go on.

Dave.

• Like 5

Hi All,

Apart from a few small bits it all built now.

_jLfclBGDbzib6uyyZBbvSYVCjjOHdvyosi3WRr0

Cbvn8YkIT5-6xl7O-Tom8sbryjg53b5OFvYkUevm

I've painted the turret to see if the colour was going to look OK.  It's come out a bit too matt, a varnish should make it darker - but I might source a different paint for it.

Dave.

• Like 2

Aye up Dave.

Nice tidy build. Knocked a few of these together over the years and they're really nice kits. What paint did you use on the turret? 

Regards

Steve

On 7/11/2019 at 5:54 PM, fatfingers said:

Aye up Dave.

Nice tidy build. Knocked a few of these together over the years and they're really nice kits. What paint did you use on the turret? 

Regards

Steve

It's Humbrol 116 acrylic - it's getting toward the bottom of the pot and getting very matt - a bit bit of varnish and should look like a faded SCC 15.

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R
  • Like 1

Hi All,

The building and painting is mostly done.

wgHxvAhXyXy-QMJeYgx6wRuqq18O_HYa-mNmaUmO

SPbBC1Dsf691iPoonpTJs6UvpTldlkC3WRjGQlHJ

I've drilled out the MG barrels and replaced the Aerial Mast, but otherwise it's out of the box.

Decals and weathering next and then I can move on to the crew figures etc.

Dave.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've put on the decals and given it a coat of MicroFlat.

qex6lJliTc7xoZHX6dHUlzbKrxPUO3xR34au-OEk

MV_FsVP7sgsbJjSy6MCd7sx0GitpQRN019Mp1JvN

eZEZo58U-jYgsZd4Y4wDD5-ovwkV0Uz-S8p-SZiM

zhtpGixgxhxSlOCCtKTpdiPQCebhrSxPLip5A2Id

The figures need painting and I need to build the base - neither of which are things I'm any good at.  

There's about two months to go with this Group Build, so I need to progress the other builds I'm doing before coming back to this one.

Dave.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Moving forward I've made a start on the base for this.  The papier mache is shaped a bit to resemble a rutted dirt road.  I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to creating scenery, but  I've got some grass and foliage bits on the way.

5y2wxs8XICJTBHU_r25tR9J9SU4t2XUjcXtUVxFV

Dave.

• Like 2

Looking very promising.

If you haven't made many dioramas before, can I suggest that you set up a test diorama on another base (any old bit of wood can suffice)  and try each technique and variations on it first.  That way your main diorama isn't the guinea pig.

Hi All,

The postie arrived this morning with some goodies, some 2mm and 6mm static grass and a bag of leaves.

BbrrtQyhheNzyOlQdRDS0A2QMDCLZLTkA5Fv1Ldd

...so I did a little test using this as an applicator.

b4_uaJC5q2IGWrPtK50M2BBItsM3KPLZvwIwfIIe

...and here's the result.

agN4RKJ89y8olyEEsGZI7PT7ZQmSHDiGDr7qZ8tx

I'm quite happy with how the test went.  I didn't want to pay much/any money for a branded grass applicator.  I thought I might go down the DIY applicator route (google it if you're interested), but I gave the plastic jar a go and it I think it worked OK.  I put a couple of teaspoons of the grass in the chicken spice jar and gave it good shake to charge it up and then sprinkled onto watered down PVA.  The dirt is dried garden dirt, it needs a bit more sieving, but I think it'll look OK - apparently you can mix it with PVA to get a mud effect.

Dave.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Got one of these and one thing that challenged me was cleaning up the wheel springs.

Maybe I was trying too hard as most won’t be visible, but I fought hard and struggled to remove the seams on the coils of the springs.

Did you bother with this and if so, was there any trick - I struggled to find tools that could get in and remove the unwanted material.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi Dave,

First time for me to drop in to view this GB and your Churchill was the first entry I decided to look at.  Glad I did. It's brought back happy memories. I built one of these a few years ago now, my 2nd model upon return to the hobby after 35yrs of absence. The kit is faultless and the figures are rather nice compared to some of Tamiya's efforts. The cart is a nice little bonus as well.

You seem to have made rapid progress, and I'm happy to see you've had no problems with the decals - I think I ruined every single one of mine!

And yes, of course you HAD to build a little base for it. You'd be mad not to. The old plastic shaker bottle seems to have worked fairly well, not perfect, but good enough IMHO. The grass was obviously trampled on by livestock, or squaddies, or Universal Carriers (light enough not to have left ruts) But it's nice to see you've rutted the Churchill in.

Looking foward to seeing the finished result. BTW, the farmer figure DOES look much better with a black beret, white shirt, reddish-brown (leather) waistcoat and black trousers, take my word for it!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 7:00 PM, nheather said:

Got one of these and one thing that challenged me was cleaning up the wheel springs.

Maybe I was trying too hard as most won’t be visible, but I fought hard and struggled to remove the seams on the coils of the springs.

Did you bother with this and if so, was there any trick - I struggled to find tools that could get in and remove the unwanted material.

Cheers,

Nigel

I used a variety of needle files with different profiles to get into the coils of the springs.