Roden Fokker D.VII 1/72

After reading so many bad words about Roden’s D.VII I just had to try for myself. Unfortunately I can concur, but although nothing fits the parts are wonderfully detailed and you get a beautiful spare engine and two spare propellors. You might notice the absence of rib bands: I made a firm decision on keeping it OOB, and those bands disintegrated. 

The machine is that of August Hartmann of Jasta 30, 1918. He was fortunate enough to get wounded very early in his service and thus survive the war. His colleagues later described their planes as orange, while British reports call them brown. I therefore mixed up a colour that you could describe as either without getting your eyesight questioned.

U0TAG4n.jpg

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

6FKDY4k.jpg

spacer.png

One tip regarding construction: I’ve often seen people say about the outboard N-struts, that the front one is too short and the back too long. I found the front one to be correct: put it lying on the drawing (manual is in 1/72) with the frontal lower end in the correct position, then pivot it around that point until the upper two points are somewhat correct. Then just trim the excess. This should righten the otherwise forward-tilted upperwings into the correct alignment (glue the outboard struts first, then the wing, then the remaining struts - some of which will NOt fit).

edit: Another free tip. If you plan to build any Roden D.VII with lozenge camoflague, do yourself a favour and buy an aftermarket set! The stuff is extremely brittle and the only way to make it stuck is to drench it in microsol to fuse it into the plastic (and then it gets *really* stuck - trust me, I first put the lower side camo on the upper side: fortunately Roden supplies enough for two and a half aircraft).

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 24

Congratulations on completing this monster.  I never managed it!  Just the fact that you were ble to get the lozenge decals to stick at all is a minor miracle.   A very nice little representation of one of the lesser known Jastas. 

Thanks for the likes and comments guys.

It is indeed a bit of a monster - although far from the worst I’ve seen - and despite the nice details and don’t think I will be building another.

• 10 months later...

Hi Torbjorn,

I just want to ask if this is the Roden colour call out for this plane? I have seen the same plane on an Eagle strike sheet and it has a different colour lay out.

I wish to build it in 1/48

Kind Regards

Another Fokker D VII - are they breeding?

Anyway whatever they are doing that is a very well turned out model and an interesting colour scheme. The kit may have been a beast to build but it certainly does not show.

P

• Thanks 1

Looks like you tamed that pretty well!

Colour debates aside, I would feel rather uncomfortable going to war in an orange plane. 🤨 😄

Anyway, well done!

👍

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2020 at 3:17 PM, RNAS1916 said:

Hi Torbjorn,

I just want to ask if this is the Roden colour call out for this plane? I have seen the same plane on an Eagle strike sheet and it has a different colour lay out.

I wish to build it in 1/48

Kind Regards

No, it is not. They suggest a yellow nose and dark earth body (and no ”shadow” under the tailplane - Roden has the same colour as the rest of the fuselage). I saw the coonflicting reports of orange and brown and choose a colour in between. Iirc I got the blue sections from a Pheon decal sheet supported by writing, but I have forgotten now.

9 hours ago, pheonix said:

Another Fokker D VII - are they breeding?

Anyway whatever they are doing that is a very well turned out model and an interesting colour scheme. The kit may have been a beast to build but it certainly does not show.

P

Thanks, but still, I’d recommend any Great war plane in Roden’s 1/72 range - except this one, even though they put double sets of decals in my box :D

(Though I’d buy more if Eduard hadn’t come out with an alternative)

Hi Torbjorn,

Thanks for the reply, since my last comment I have seen the Pheon models colours.

This Makes it 3 options on the same plane. 

I have another Jasta 30 plane and have so far only discovered 2 options on the same plane.  I will probably do one of these.

Kind Regards