Revell Shelby Cobra 427 1/24

Hi there,

So I finished this build about six months ago and although there were a few build issues I was happy with the final result. The kit instructions were a bit vague in places so plenty of dry fitting was necessary but eventually it all came together. There are two paint schemes to choose from with this kit I chose the one below because I hadn't seen it before. Some of the decals were a bit tricky to apply but with a lot of patience ( and the odd prayer ) I eventually got them to conform reasonably well.

Hope you enjoy viewing.

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12

Lovely looking Cobra. I've heard good things about this kit and the result here would back that up.

Were the issues you spoke of just to do with the decals, or also to do with the building?

4 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Lovely looking Cobra. I've heard good things about this kit and the result here would back that up.

Were the issues you spoke of just to do with the decals, or also to do with the building?

A bit of both really the revell instructions don't always explain properly where certain parts should fit there's also quite a bit of flash on the sprues however with a bit of thought  and a little sanding these issues are easily resolved. As for the decals the ones that run along each side to the rear are one piece and quite awkward the rest of the decals are straight forward. Hope this helps if you require any more information on this kit feel free to ask cheers.

4 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That's another cracker Andy, beautiful paint job again! Can I ask what paint & clear you used?

Lovely snake!!

Keith

Thanks Keith, I used zero paints and zero 2K clear precautions need to be taken with this system as both the paint and the clear are toxic however the finish in my opinion is second to none. A good resperator, spray booth and gloves are required sounds a bit of a pain but like I say I think it's worth it. The Porsche I posted yesterday I painted with a tamiya rattlecan but even that requires a mask so I guess it's up to the individual.

• Like 1

A very nice build out of box but some changes needed to make it accurate to Sam's car. It was a work in progress over several seasons in AARC and he modified it as he improved. In later form, the roll bar was a full-width black hoop. Plus it had a real 'homemade' front chin spoiler.

First lower it front and rear like the box art - Sam used 600 pound race springs all around. Make the wood wheel black foam. The hood scoop opening needs to be expanded  a bit as all the Revell scoops are closed nearly shut. The front fender flares are wrong on all Revell and Monogram kits. The competition windscreen needs to be thinner for scale, try .005 acetate. The front jack pads were black not chrome. And your paint work is lightyears better than Sam raced with.

EDIT: The Halibrands were dirty gray magnesium usually. Also, the tail lights were the 'street car' twin round lights, not the Lucas singles.

Edited by Codger

Thanks Andy - I'd guessed you'd used 2K  as it has that 'miles deep' shine, but I was hoping you'd maybe used a 1K clear that I've yet to try! I can't use 2K as I spray in the house, and even using a spraybooth venting outside and closing the door to the model room the smell of 'normal' clear still seems to get everywhere!

Keith 

edit - can I be a pain and ask what particular zero green you used? Looks good for the upcoming Elan build I have planned!

11 minutes ago, Codger said:

A very nice build out of box but some changes needed to make it accurate to Sam's car. It was a work in progress over several seasons in AARC and he modified it as he improved. In later form, the roll bar was a full-width black hoop. Plus it had a real 'homemade' front chin spoiler.

First lower it front and rear like the box art - Sam used 600 pound race springs all around. Make the wood wheel black foam. The hood scoop opening needs to be expanded  a bit as all the Revell scoops are closed nearly shut. The front fender flares are wrong on all Revell and Monogram kits. The competition windscreen needs to be thinner for scale, try .005 acetate. The front jack pads were black not chrome. And your paint work is lightyears better than Sam raced with.

EDIT: The Halibrands were dirty gray magnesium usually. Also, the tail lights were the 'street car' twin round lights, not the Lucas singles.

Hi there, well you certainly know your cobra's thing is if this was a show car I would probably consider changing a few things however it's not a show car and I'm perfectly happy with the way it is whether it's historically correct or not. Thanks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Thanks Andy - I'd guessed you'd used 2K  as it has that 'miles deep' shine, but I was hoping you'd maybe used a 1K clear that I've yet to try! I can't use 2K as I spray in the house, and even using a spraybooth venting outside and closing the door to the model room the smell of 'normal' clear still seems to get everywhere!

Keith 

edit - can I be a pain and ask what particular zero green you used? Looks good for the upcoming Elan build I have planned!

Hi Keith, zero paints British Racing Green they also do a 1K clear though I haven't used it myself

35 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Hi there, well you certainly know your cobra's thing is if this was a show car I would probably consider changing a few things however it's not a show car and I'm perfectly happy with the way it is whether it's historically correct or not. Thanks.

You should be, it's a beautiful build job.

9 hours ago, Andy J said:

Hi Keith, zero paints British Racing Green they also do a 1K clear though I haven't used it myself

Cheers Andy, I've used their 1K, wasn't that impressed tbh. I'm saving up to get a gallon can of U-pol stuff off e-bay to try at the moment!

Just been looking at your Cobra again, it is a beautiful model - wish I hadn't sold the one I had now!!

Keith

12 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Cheers Andy, I've used their 1K, wasn't that impressed tbh. I'm saving up to get a gallon can of U-pol stuff off e-bay to try at the moment!

Just been looking at your Cobra again, it is a beautiful model - wish I hadn't sold the one I had now!!

Keith

You can buy this kit quite cheap on eBay Keith I paid £12 for mine so it was a no brainer. Thanks for the great comments mate I'm going to have to revisit my stash I've got my mojo back. I've got a few other completed kits to show on here but being new to the site I don't know whether or not it's a good idea to keep posting my builds one after the other I reckon members may get bored with it all. Anyway get yourself this kit and build it Keith you know you want to 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silenoz said:

Looking very good, only remark is the seam on one off the exhausts... otherwise a very very nice model, and as a non-car builder, this one is in my stash too...

Thank you, I obviously missed that seam at the time of building but that's what these inspection's are all about in future I'll take more care. Cheers for looking.

7 minutes ago, pau10wen said:

lovely stuff!

Great work on the detail and wooden wheel too

Thank you, I'm thinking of doing my next build as a work in progress on here just need to decide what car to build.

On 05/07/2019 at 10:00, Andy J said:

I've got a few other completed kits to show on here but being new to the site I don't know whether or not it's a good idea to keep posting my builds one after the other

You can always just have one thread with a couple of pics of each build in it Andy - much as I did with my 'old builds' thread here;

(unashamed advert!!)

Keith

Great work on a nice old kit. Finished one myself a few months ago - done as a copy of a mate's Cobra Replica. It does have a few challenges, but nothing that care and patience can't overcome. Your work is beautiful.

Kev

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

You can always just have one thread with a couple of pics of each build in it Andy - much as I did with my 'old builds' thread here;

(unashamed advert!!)

Keith

Wow some seriously impressive work there Keith 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, modelman182 said:

Great work on a nice old kit. Finished one myself a few months ago - done as a copy of a mate's Cobra Replica. It does have a few challenges, but nothing that care and patience can't overcome. Your work is beautiful.

Kev

Yes there are some challenges but the end result is worth it. Thanks