Lysander IIIA SD, 161 Squadron

Thanks for moving this!!!

As for progress, I'm still working on getting the decals to snug down. I usually use Microscale Industries Micro Set and Micro Sol, but the Blackbird Models' decals weren't impressed. Solvaset appears to be working, but I'm trying to go light on it as I've suffered catastrophic decal failure with the stuff...

I found a Part PE canopy frames set in the stash. It replaces the side, upper, and rear panels. A nice feature is the ability to position the upper canopy over the pilot open.

I also noticed that the Gavia spinner isn't quite correct for JR-P. The photo shows a more conventional spinner that appears to completely surrounds the blades. The Gavia part sits entirely in front of the propeller, which is correct for the Shuttleworth aircraft as well as many others.

JRP-spinners.jpg

• Like 2

Solvaset finally did the job with the decals. Microscale Industries Micro Flat was then applied and the wheels attached.

Next up is that spinner. It was a fairly good representation of one style of Lysander spinner, just not the right style for this aircraft.

JRP-spinner0.jpg

I fashioned the new part of the spinner from 3/8in Evergreeen tube. I first trued up a section of tubing and cut a ring  Next I marked the centers of the blades at 120deg intervals, cut crude notches with a sprue cutter, and filed the notches to shape with a round needle file.

JRP-spinner1.jpg

Some work with an equaling file and abrasive pads faired the new ring to the spinner front.

JRP-spinner3.jpg

A primer coat with Mr Surfacer revealed some gaps in need of filling. CA did the trick. Another round of Mr Surfacer was followed by the underside color. Et voilà! A new spinner.

JRP-spinner4.jpg

I have the Part canopy PE frames cut and formed. The clear sheet to the upper right is for the side panels. For unknown reasons, Part only provided paper patterns for the upper and rear cockpit canopy segments. I'll use 5 mil Evergreen sheet for those parts.

JRP-canopy.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 year later...

Finally finished! :yahoo:

This is how she started anew. As you can see, the wing mount suffered a catastrophic structural failure. 

JRP-kuta0.jpg

The wing mount was reconstructed from Evergreen tubing. Round needle files enabled the diagonal member to fit. I also went back to the kit's glazings, except for the rear canopy.

JRP-kuta2.jpg

And here she is, finished.

JRP-finished12.jpg

JRP-finished15.jpg

JRP-finished18.jpg

JRP-finished19.jpg

JRP-finished24.jpg

• Like 10

What a great journey,  I have just caught up with this cracking build thread. Wow, great work and innovative modelling solutions,  I particularly liked the engine jig , that is pure genius.  

Really great work and a fantastic model .

I have added to faves so I can refer as I have this very kit in the stash and it was the box art aircraft that attracted me to the kit too.

Thanks for sharing 

Chris

• Thanks 1

@Corsairfoxfouruncle and @bigbadbadge, thank you!

This kit's major flaw is the struts as they badly misaligned the wings. I mated struts to wings first because I thought it would help protect the wing mount and favor paint application. Sadly, this lead to multiple problems, culminating in a catastrophic failure of the wing mount.

IIUC, the latest rebox modified the wings to move the struts slightly, which apparently addresses the problem.

If you do want to build an SD, pay very close attention to contemporaneous references!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks dnl42 for the heads up, I understand the wing struts need to be moved inboard, I think by 1.5 mm or there abouts where they meet the wing. I will be doing the box art option and will look at that wing mount of of yours too. Thanks ever so much for providing some much needed inspiration as I had put it back far down in the stash after looking at it,  although  mojo is slightly lacking at  the moment anyway.

Thanks again 

Chris

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Just stumbled across your Lizzie build - absolutely fantastic work throughout, if I may say so!

I've got a Gavia boxing in my stash, so I'm book-marking for future reference :)

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1