Mi- 8mt-17 hip .

Hewy

I was going to do a zvezda  mi-24 p  hind but i had trouble sourcing suitable decals,if i manage to locate some i may build it aswell in this gb ,but I'm going to build the mi- 8mt/ mi-17 hobbyboss kit instead,it looks a smashing kit , i have a decal sheet on its way that i belive will offer a couple of options 1 being an afganistan  mi-17 so I'll wait till i can get a good look at the sheet before i choose,i want to apply the finishing touches to my sea king first with the deadline for that gb looming and I'm struggling to find the time at the minute so that'll be close ,

The box

COylEvG.jpg

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 7

Excellent choice Glynn!

It is a nice little kit and goes together well, as long as you don't try to convert it to an early Mi-8 like some idiot did (that would be me).

An Afghan Air Force one would be very welcome too as so far we have more Soviet builds than anything else, not that I'm complaining as I like them.

• Like 1

My decal sheet has arrived and i will be building the afghan mi-17  763,

kiPYDeU.jpg

The parts,not many but it looks nicley done,theres no weapons or pylons in the box and no rear seats either so i wont be opening it up, I've  got a  eduard canopy mask set though which will save a lot of stress in 72nd, also the rotor blades have no droop built in so I'll have to sort that

Y0Fvkjb.jpg

cytK2tu.jpg

k0xt8nr.jpg

jSCIebN.jpg

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

It is a nice kit isn't it Glynn.

With all the doors closed up this should be a relatively quick build as there is only the cockpit to detail.

Nice decal sheet, there looks like some interesting choices on there and well done for picking the Afghan option!

I agree it looks a snip ,its a big old chopper too, bigger than my sea king, which will be a nice comparison when they're  both done

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Remember this?

I still have nightmares about it! But if you find any of the interior pics useful feel free to copy them, only better.

With yours and John's Mi-8/17s I am now thinking of starting one of my own!

Oohhhh just sent shivers down  my spine that, started out well but it decended into chaos with that resin engines section, crazy because i saw a build by flankerman when i was researching this build  a couple of weeks ago, and he used what i think was the same resin part, it didn't look to fit perfectly either, and needed filler, but your resin bit just wasn't close was it, shame, did it survive or is it in the styrene and resin  graveyard in the sky,,theres a lesson there for me though " keep it simple" . Mmmn, mrs hewy says i never learn

• Like 1

Actually just been and had a look at it and am thinking I can salvage it, but as an Mi-17 with the original plastic fixed back on, but that's a job for another day.

I don't think there are any aftermarket weapons sets for the MI-8/17 but there are troop seats, by Pavla! Surely they can't get them badly wrong?

Sure I've got a Hasegawa Hind A more than 50% built in Narnia somewhere but I can't find it at the minute, I think Mr. Tumnus has been moving stuff around again!

Just found these at Hannants;

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RS72-0014

Trouble is there are only 2 in the set and you would still need to replicate the pylons and framework, although that might be easier than it looks.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Just found these at Hannants;

Very nice,i still think the best option would be a zvezda 8mt kit though, for only about a fiver more you essentially get another kit thrown in (i can be a tight wad somtimes),although i could resin cast the ones in my mi-24 hind kit along with the pylons , if i could get hold  of  some dimensions for the rails the pylons hang from,🤔,

I'm  sure i could solder something similar,  "keep it simple "he said!😁

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

That looks like a much better kit than the Zvezda. Nice looking detail.  I am looking forward to this one!

You've  got pylons and weapons  though john, mines s bit basic in that respect ,  I've had bash after the cricket this evening, and got the internals   built and painted , I've put some lead weight  strips forward in the side sponsons just in case its a tail sitter, theres also an opportunity at the engine intakes if needs be , i shall post an update tomorrow 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I forgot to do that...Ooops...

Maybe you wont need any john  on your kit .fingers crossed

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

Looks like a nice kit!

Hope you can start showing progress  soonish! ;)

It is werner.i shall post later when i get back from work. And make a start on the hind too.not many parts in the hip kit so I'm expecting this to be just about ready for paint after the weekend. Ive got a n eduard window mask set to ease the stress of masking the canopy 

Ok I've made a start on what i believe  is going to be a really quick build, it'll be closed up so there  is going to be virtually nothing of the interior  to see ,all thats to do next is make some seat belts from a bit of foil tape, and i can join the fuselage  if anyone wants to do one open the internals are very nicley done for 72nd scale,  apart from a few sink marks to sort out of course

The sponsons have had some lead strip glued in them just in case its tail heavy

UzFCffL.jpg

The well molded cockpit  built up and test fitted 

L5inFgj.jpg

kDkCEIs.jpg

The internals given a quick blast over with  tamiya xf 23 light blue

nlStlys.jpg

And the cockpit painted up and the exausts fitted painted and dry brushed

Ruwspzs.jpg

The sponsons have been attached and i had a little black left in the  0.5 aibrush from another project so i used it on the panel lines , a bit wide those ,i shall tidy that up later

l1QAMSm.jpg

• Like 5

Instead of using foil tape i came across an old  72nd photo etch set that i bought by mistake a while ago that I've used the seat belts from not accurate but  convincing enough for me 

vvBRtvs.jpg

• Like 7

I've got the windows in  and she's buttoned up, superb fitting kit so far can't  fault it at all, it really would lend itself to being opened up, i shall let this set and have a tiffle with the  24p hind

gdyzRyu.jpg

8t1tddb.jpg

s8U82wc.jpg

OTUbl2Y.jpg

• Like 6

Very nice work Glynn.

The XF-23 really captures the light blue/grey of the real thing, I will have to get some for future projects.

Amazing how quickly they go together when you don't have silly ideas and butcher them! I think the seatbelts look very convincing even if they aren't meant for the kit.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

This is looking stupendous.  It certainly inspires me to greater things!

Too kind john,theres plenty of time for it to go belly up yet

This really has gone together very quickly and very nicely Glynn, makes me want to add another one (or two!) to the stash, lets face it there are no end of schemes available for them.

Going to need to get some Tamiya XF-23 as I've just won something on a certain auction site :) .

• Thanks 1