Republic P-47J / XP-72, Hawk, 1/48

Dear members,

Remember the Republic P-47 Thunderbolts in 1/48 by Hawk ? Yes the chrome-plated versions

It was in the seventies and I was overjoyed, when I saw the model-kits in the modelshop.

And you could choose two versions.  Because I liked both, I bought two kits.

The gloom came later when I discovered, that the cowlings were completly wrong.

Disappointed I was left with two engineless Thunderbolts, they disappeared in a dark corner of my

stash.

Till I read some articles in Wings & Airpower about two prototypes: the P-47J and later the XP-72.

At last I found a reason to build the two forlorn kits.

The conversions were extensive, deepening the fuselages, making two new engines, new props and

more smaller details. And putty; loads of the it.

Pity I did not rescripe the panellines. So be it …!

Anyhow I learned more about conversions and other scratch work.

At last the overall finish; I used an undercoat of Polly-S Acryl Dark Grey, over that went Rub'n

Buff Sterling Silver.

Enjoy the photographs,

Regards

JohnHaa

Part I

Republic P-47J , Hawk, 1/48

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Part 2

Republic XP-72, Hawk, 1/48

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 31

Good work, and way to make use of old plastic!  The Rub 'n' Buff finish is well applied.  Not the easiest way to get a natural metal finish, but back in the old days the options were pretty much that, sticky foil, or Floquil Old Silver.  

Fantastic! The XP-72 is a particular favorite. Of course the XP-47J is cool too. I love the lightning bolt wielding Superman. Extra points for starting with ancient plastic. Inspiring work!

Those are both great models.  The model looked perfectly like a P-47 when I built it in 1966! Don't know where the gear door went but that's what it looks like now.

spacer.png

This is a fantastic conversion job, John! A great enhancement for every P-47 collection.

I purchased this kit when reissued by Italeri/Testors in the 80's. I felt the same disappointment when I compared it to my (also not perfect) 1/48 Monogram models. The main parts have been used up over time for colour tests but I still own a few pieces.

Gruss, Michael

Thank you all for the comments ! 😁

It was a way back in memory-lane, and it gave me great pleasure to read your reactions about those old days..... 

With king regards,

JohnHaa

Very nice builts.

If I may, I think that the XP-47J was made using an Otaki P-47D, as the canopy with the too shallow bottom frame and the faulty leading edge profile of the wing are typical of that model.

Laurent

Laurent,

I had a close look at my XP-47J.  You are right, it is based on the Otaki kit. Now I know why I made this mistake; I used the other Hawk model for still another conversion ; the XP-47H with the Chrysler V16 engine. That model is in bad shape, when I have time I will try to restore it , particulary the paintwork is in bad condition. 

Now only finding time....

Thanks for your sharp eyesight 😃

JohnHaa