E Boat restoration

Jonny

Earlier today I stumbled on a website describing the restoration of a real German WW2 S Class torpedo boat (an ‘E boat’ as the Allies called them).

The restoration is (was?) being carried out in Cornwall.  The boat, S.130, is owned by the Wheatcroft Collection.  The website stops at a point a lot of work had been done, including replacing a lot of the keel.

I’ve searched (Googled) but can’t find anything definite about this restoration.

I’m not in any way an expert on ships but this rather fascinated me.  Has any fellow BM’er any news or facts about the restoration.

In hope,

Jonny

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

There was discussion about this vessel on here a few years back. It is the last E Boat in existence..

Yes indeed.  If memory serves the discussion was rather on the lines of my post, I.e. whatis happening?

It would be a shame if the project collapses.  I understand that post WW2 the Royal Navy operated the vessel - with new engines to increase it’s already impressive speed - to spy on the Soviet navy (its speed allowed it to outrun anything the Soviets had), using German crews.  It might have been handed over to the Bundesmarine (some S-boots were, apparently) after that before reaching the UK.

If the UK can’t afford to restore the vessel I’d prefer it was given back to Germany rather than leaving it to rot.

Just my £0.02 worth!

Jonny

There is an episode in the Discovery channel "Combat Dealer" series in which Bruce Crompton flogs a 2cm Kriegsmarine Flak gun to the owner of S-130. In the US there are two well-known PT boat survivors. PT 305 has been perfectly restored whereas I think PT 617 simply lacks too many original parts/details. Personally I prefer period pics/footage to partial restorations like PT 617 (simply no good for a modeller). Some nice 1962 colour footage of an S-100 Schnellboot in Danish service :

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 2