Grumman F-9F5 Panther

I bought the Fisher Patter 1/32nd F-9F Panther in 2003 when it first appeared. This was my first resin model. It was a great experience and I used Vallejo Model Air for the first and only time as the paint was so fragile it just scratched off way too easily the end result being the shelf of doom. Roll on 2018 - the Panther is rolling around on my shelf of doom and I decide to take another look. Woe and behold I find that my lovely wife has thrown the box out with many of the kit parts in it (U/C, doors, wheels, canopy, weapons, PE sheet etc). I contact Paul Fisher and send him a photo of what I have and ask him if I can pay for the missing parts. 7-10 days later a box arrives in the post with all of the missing parts completely free of charge including the shipping to the UK. How is that for customer service!

Roll on 2019 and inspired by a post in LSP discussion I decide to finish the model. If you notice the less than fine panel lines in places this was because back in 2003 when I build the major assemblies I had bought a Tamiya scriber and went a little mad with making trenches. I also lightly weathered the model and the large "silver walkways" as can be seen on footage of the real aircraft.

Please note that I have fixed the hanging pylon that I only noticed when I took the photographs.

sagdSe.jpg

bzNPwf.jpg

usPsuu.jpg

qD6N7b.jpg

y4Jxob.jpg

• Like 38

Love your work there. Well done!

I agree with you about how accommodating Fischer M&P are.

I bought some Lockheed Constellation enhancements from them and their service was exemplary.  Totally recommended.

:goodjob:

Nice build.

Out of interest has anyone dealt (or tried to deal) with Fisher since the Paradise fire last year? My understanding is Paul and his wife lost everything, so was wondering if he has started up again.

If, as I had read elsewhere, all his stock, workshop, moulds etc were lost, I can't imagine how devastating that must have been for them, and also how great a loss to the modelling world.

Cheers

Tania

9 hours ago, F1xena said:

Nice build.

Out of interest has anyone dealt (or tried to deal) with Fisher since the Paradise fire last year? My understanding is Paul and his wife lost everything, so was wondering if he has started up again.

If, as I had read elsewhere, all his stock, workshop, moulds etc were lost, I can't imagine how devastating that must have been for them, and also how great a loss to the modelling world.

Cheers

Tania

The latest information I know of about Paul Fisher was posted three months ago on a Go Fund Me account created for him after the fire:

Hello ! Happy to report that our insurance company has begun paying out and we are making progress towards whatever the future holds.Not at all sure where we will settle, but things are moving along and we wanted to once again thank all of you for your incredible generosity and enthusiasm. Please, no more donations though...You have helped us through the darkest hours of our life and things are looking up! All the best, Paul & Susy

Nice job on the Panther!  Hopefully Paul Fisher will get back in business and even reissue this kit.

Cheers,

Mark

Is the airplane piloted by Lieutenant Brubaker, character of Willian Holden, in the movie The Bridges of Toko-Ri (1954)?
I think so.

You have done a great job. I really like the look of this brilliant painting, sometimes these airplanes are depicted or flat or with excessive brightness.
Well done.

Andrés S.

Hello ! 

That's a great Panther !!

Lt Brubaker ?? Remind me of a certain movie !!

Well done Man !

I heard that the kit is not an easy one, but you mastered it !!

Congrats !

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. The paint was Mr Color GSB which was sanded/polished with 12000 clothes before having a light oil paint patina applied to just provide some very subtle colouration effects. The kit itself was actually easier to assemble than most injection moulded plastic kits even from top manufacturers such as Tamiya. This is indeed the bird that William Holden flew in Toko-Ri. There are some lovely HD videos of the aircraft scenes from the film on Youtube. I did not apply all the stencil data - primarily because I liked the look of the finish with out them 🙂