Hogwarts Express, Scratchbuild, 1/48 Scale

3 hours ago, brianthemodeller said:

I agree with the posters above

So do I, you made a great model, using lots of different tools and techniques, and you both had lots of fun making it, that's all that matters, the model club can go do one.

Matt

• Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone for your support.👍

Baby Bandsaw read your posts last night and was most encouraged. She had no idea that this thread had been viewed 18,000 times and I had to show her the number on the thread’s header before she believed it. She’s now impressed with her own global fame.

Easter is nearly upon us. Will be working on this one over the long weekend.

• Like 3

Gidday BS and BBS, you are no doubt very disappointed with the decision regarding the model's entry, but it's good to see you haven't given up on the project. That in itself is a credit to you both, as well as the high standard of the build. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress over the weekend.

With best regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

That sux a bit Steve. Is there no way you guys ( sorry BBS, you're a guy in this context. ;) :D ), could display your rather superb Express, much as @Jo NZ mentioned before,  without actually competing or would that be too much of a sensible compromise for them to grapple with? 

Steve.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Well that is the plan now; to display the model without entering it into the competition, but as Baby Bandsaw said, all she really wanted to know was how many public votes she might score and the public cannot vote for a model that’s not in the competition.

Furthermore I’m not sure exactly how I’m going to display it. Display tables are allocated to clubs and I’m a member of just one club - ‘The Western Front WW1 modellers’ and they only display WW1 subjects , which rules the Hogwarts express out.

I’m confident we will work something out but at this stage I really don’t know what. 🤔

• Like 1

Many many years ago (decades, 1973 in fact) a young bloke scratch-built a model of the German warship Graf Spee out of balsa. It was very rough and crude but he was proud of it. We oops I mean he lived in a country town on the south coast of West Oz and he was persuaded to enter the model into the local show. However, there was no model category so he entered it into the woodwork section, it being made of balsa. The judges decided it wasn't in the true spirit of woodwork. It didn't fit the existing rules. Did they disqualify it? No, they created a new category on the very day of the show, just for this model. (Which naturally won, being the only entrant). It was done in the spirit of encouragement. I even received a letter from the judges commending the model. In subsequent years there were modeling categories included. I was in High School at the time. I have no way of proving this, but it is a true story.

I guess WASMEx creating a new category such as "Parent and child joint effort" or similar is not possible. Or is it?

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

there was no model category so he entered it into the woodwork section, it being made of balsa. The judges decided it wasn't in the true spirit of woodwork. It didn't fit the existing rules. Did they disqualify it? No, they created a new category on the very day of the show, just for this model. (Which naturally won, being the only entrant). It was done in the spirit of encouragement. 

I guess WASMEx creating a new category such as "Parent and child joint effort" or similar is not possible. Or is it?

Regards, Jeff.

I asked why not make a ‘team build’ category? A category for models built by more than one person? And was promptly asked to write a proposal for the committee’s consideration for the 2022 show. 

I’m not sure I can be bothered. ☹️

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Dementors!

"Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this earth. They infest the darkest, filthiest places, they glory in decay and despair, they drain peace, hope and happiness out of the air around them..." Professor Lupin - Teacher at Hogwarts 

"A word of caution: dementors are vicious creatures. They will not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way" Professor Albus Dumbledore - Headmaster at Hogwarts

"It is with great regret that we report the mass revolt of the dementors of Azkaban, who have shown themselves averse to continuing in the Ministry's employ. We believe the Dementors are currently taking direction from he who must not be named" Cornelius Fudge - Minister for Magic

So - it seems these 'dementor' things are very bad news!   It'd be awful if a bunch of them were to get loose on Ravenscar Moor and attack the Hogwart's Express! 😱  

About a year ago Baby Bandsaw found this bunch of psycho, weirdos at at Games Workshop outlet and from that moment onwards the Hogwart's Express was doomed to be attacked by a bunch of...

rwsCfu4.jpg

Indiscriminate Spectral Killers! 😱😱😱

I9XKwQp.jpg

These are very high-quality kits in all regards.  I note especially the nice clear instructions, including skillful use of colour-coding.  I can't help but think that some of the 'mainstream' kit manufacturers can learn a thing or two from these guys.  

WWKClOs.jpg

BB sat down one afternoon and slapped these together without any help at all from me! Apparently they went together beautifully and she reported that this was the most fun part of the whole project to date - so well done to 'Games Workshop' this really is a top-quality product and they may have just won over a future customer.  👍  Once assembled BB 'threaded' a fine length of carbon fibre through the various gaps in the 'Spectral Killer's' robes.  This is the simple method that we are going to use to affix him to the diorama and, in some instances, have them 'floating' above the ground. 

hZ7WAoP.jpg

One or two weren't amenable to the 'threading' method so they got a hole drilled in their backs into which the carbon-fibre fitted perfectly.  Don't worry, the drilling will not hurt him, his soul has been removed and he can longer feel anything.

ekGpWsP.jpg

With the carbon-fiber sorted out none of them need the base that's molded into their feet? tail? robes?  So each one gets a quick trim with a Stanley knife.

zTv1s3w.jpg

And here's the gang, all ten of them, lined up and stuck onto a length of balsa awaiting painting.

nU2vv1x.jpg

First some grey undercoat...

4AeRRch.jpg

I think they look really good in grey but that's not the deal with dementors. Dementors are black - matt black - So...

cOmNdJf.jpg

it's time to break out the last un-opened can of Tamiya matt black in the whole of the Southern Hemisphere.  At the moment this stuff is rarer than dementor's teeth!

f2PQn3R.jpg

And here's the result. A bunch of horrific, floating silhouettes. 

I9kY8XB.jpg

Time to add just a touch of colour and to break up the flat black finish on each of them. Baby Bandsaw did all of this work this afternoon and - once again - it was 100% her own effort.

3q1o5zy.jpg

Each scythe got a wooden handle, a shiny blade and a bit of blood.  Each dude got a white skeletal face and each of the floating rags were lightened up with a bit of grey.  This was about two hour's of focused work and I was very impressed with the outcome.

pT5526e.jpg

Here's a close-up of these nightmares!

Eu1sLfG.jpg

And here they are attacking the Hogwarts Express

Mm9yfdh.jpg

As you can see the driver - once he's finally in the cab - will be in mortal danger! 💀

DA5Fz2R.jpg

and if the guy above misses, then this dude is ready to strike! 

san80NX.jpg

I like the two guys in the bottom right of this picture - hanging back and looking on.  They are obviously the officers in charge of this mob. 

ZcmXa4o.jpg

It might look like the guy directly in front of the train is taking one hell of a risk, but he's not because - as far as I know - dementors can't die. In any case they can fly at very great speed so it's still not too late for him to escape even though the express is going flat-chat!

PmSIrO7.jpg

Don't have nightmares folks.  Remember, this is all just make-believe...

...Probably...

Bluhahaahaaaa..... Bluhahahahhhaaaaaaaa....BLUHAHAHHAAAAAAHAA.... :ghost:

Bandsaw Steve

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Gidday BBS and BS, seeing the dementors brought back memories for me - I'm sure I recognized a high school English teacher of mine.

This is very well done, BBS, it is a credit to you. And to you too, BS, for refraining from 'jumping in and helping', as most dads would want to do.

Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

YIKES..!!!  so it looks like dementors are really real then..😱

(... excellent find btw..I've just ordered a set of these for a young lady in our household too, that's one present sorted ! )   👍

She will love them!
This really is a great kit with clean mouldings, tight fit, easy assembly  and really good figure design. This whole experience has got me thinking about doing some fantasy dioramas, just for fun. 

• Like 1

They do look great little figures, my first thought was   "ahh, I know who'd like a set of those .."

.I suspect I may be asked for a little bit of input when it comes to painting them tho... ! 

You may have started a thing here... I can just foresee hordes of dementors sweeping across the eastern front, attacking the panzers of army group centre...  ;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

You may have started a thing here... I can just foresee hordes of dementors sweeping across the eastern front, attacking the panzers of army group centre... 

They're also a menace to shipping. I think it was Admiral Farragut who said "Damn the dementors, full speed ahead!" (or was that torpedoes?) 🤔

These kids of today! Aren't young ladies meant to be interested in dolls, and later make-up? 

Keep up the good work. Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 2

The Dementors arrived and we had a bit of fun this evening putting a couple together just to have a look and think of a cool way to display them when the whole mob are done and painted...I suggested "flying" ie hanging from the ceiling !

They're great little figures with lots of animation... A great find there by BB. 👍

spacer.png

• Like 1

Try dangling them on fibre optic cable instead of wire? 0.50mm or 0.75mm might do the job.

Unfortunately I won't get near my modelling stuff for another few weeks so can't advise on the diameter but it is extremely clear and hides well.

I would advise against trying to light the Dementors & FO cable with LEDs as that leads to another well of light darkness. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The End is in Sight...

More progress today folks including what I think will be the last of the really sizable, highly-visible changes. From here on we will be adding important details and making minor additions but I think we now have all the large bits of building and painting  complete.  From here we can can get a pretty good idea of what this will look like when complete. I think the end is in sight.

Here's where we were at the end of the previous post.  There's still raw wood exposed at the end of the length of the embankment and the frame around the outside of the diorama is still in grey primer.  The presentation still looks rough and unfinished.

ZcmXa4o.jpg

Just brush some black paint onto the end grain of the railway embankment to represent the 'edge of the diorama universe'.  

vwlfnHM.jpg

Then mask off the entire landscape as shown leaving only the frame exposed.  This was actually quite tricky because  the contact between the dried-polyfilla landscape and the picture-frame is irregular and the tape really did not want to stick to the plaster. Nevertheless, with a bit of persistence and bad language we overcame the problems.

yiPlB7M.jpg

Now Baby Bandsaw sprayed some dark chocolate-brown paint that we bought at Bunnings onto the picture frame.  She was being very smart here, carefully choosing which angle to spray from to avoid getting brown paint under the dodgy masking.  This is just one of many ways that I've noticed how much she's learned and how she is becoming much more independent in the way she works.   We did this painting outside because this paint - whatever it is - smelt terrible.  By comparison modelling paint smells like Chanel #5.    

QVArxKk.jpg

After removing the masking we found a couple of bits of insufficient coverage on the margin between the frame and the landscape. These were quickly painted out with some Tamiya 'Red Brown' acrylic , which proved to be an almost exact match to the weird-smelling brown stuff.

QbHBY8I.jpg

Then it was onto spraying the 'motion' silver and using some Selley's Power-grip to stick in place. BB did all of this without any help from me beyond selecting the glue.  She wanted to use araldite 2 part epoxy, which is an equally good choice, but it smells terrible and I didn't want to get driven out of the shed again. 🤢  Selley's Powergrip is proving an excellent, highly versatile, all-round adhesive that I'm using more and more. 

SgdqlQo.jpg

Here's the result folks!  Nice and tidy & almost finished.  The dementors can go back on at any time - they just press into some small pre-drilled holes - but at the moment they are all safely stored away to prevent them sucking our souls out of our mouths while we sleep. 😱😱😱

CZsdO0M.jpg

This gives you a pretty good idea of what this thing will look like when it's finished. The end is in sight.

fXYNiqP.jpg

There's a few more details to go on the locomotive; a driver to add, some detailed painting and some decals.  We are yet to decide whether or not to have smoke / steam coming out of the funnel but given that its going to be a action packed diorama, I think I know where the smart money will fall.

mxK0fC8.jpg

I have to say that I'm absolutely stoked with this outcome, (Get it..?  Steam locomotive...? Stoked...? Get it? :fool:)  but BB is now saying that the loco ‘looks too much like a toy.’   So it seems that regardless of any prior commentary regarding the polishing of steam locomotives, this thing is going to get weathered. 

I reckon that another four or five updates will see this thread finished.  Stay with us till then folks! 👍

The End is in Sight!

Best Regards,

Bandsaw Steve and Baby Bandsaw.

• Like 14

Great work by BB!  

Such a shame those jobsworth's ruined the Grande finale but rest assured that BB's efforts have been thoroughly appreciated by us BM dwellers and she's entertained us every step of the way..  even if she did leave us hanging for a little while back there. 

What's next from BB?  I'm sure there's a bunch of us interested to see what's next

• Like 3

If BB feels that the loco looks like a toy may I make a few suggestions?  Apologies in advance for being a boring railway geek.

I think there should be some lamp irons on the front of the loco (and on the back of the tender, if there aren't any); three on the buffer beam and one on the smokebox door.

One of those irons should carry a lamp, not sure exactly which one but extra points if you can find out what's appropriate for a light engine movement (since there are no coaches it isn't a train in service or empty coaching stock movement; it must be a light engine working).

The loco needs a number, this would normally be on the cab side and a brass plaque if it is a GWR loco or painted if it is another railway company.  In a similar way I think the tender needs some sort of insignia, crest or script.

It might be too late to add them, but the boiler looks a bit too smooth and some bands around the circumference would help.  On real locos these are sometimes picked out in a contrasting colour.

The loco could do with a whistle, on top of the smokebox, near the cab.

Although I've not followed closely, I have enjoyed seeing your progress on this project.  I look forward to the next four or five updates.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, johnlambert said:

If BB feels that the loco looks like a toy may I make a few suggestions?  Apologies in advance for being a boring railway geek.

I think there should be some lamp irons on the front of the loco (and on the back of the tender, if there aren't any); three on the buffer beam and one on the smokebox door.

One of those irons should carry a lamp, not sure exactly which one but extra points if you can find out what's appropriate for a light engine movement (since there are no coaches it isn't a train in service or empty coaching stock movement; it must be a light engine working).

The loco needs a number, this would normally be on the cab side and a brass plaque if it is a GWR loco or painted if it is another railway company.  In a similar way I think the tender needs some sort of insignia, crest or script.

It might be too late to add them, but the boiler looks a bit too smooth and some bands around the circumference would help.  On real locos these are sometimes picked out in a contrasting colour.

The loco could do with a whistle, on top of the smokebox, near the cab.

Although I've not followed closely, I have enjoyed seeing your progress on this project.  I look forward to the next four or five updates.

Hi @johnlambert

Happy to say we have plans in place for all of those things except the ‘lamp irons’ as I’m not too sure what they are. Will do a little bit of light research (or should that be ‘lamp  research’ 😀).

Thanks for the input

and thanks for following along. 👍

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, hendie said:

What's next from BB?  I'm sure there's a bunch of us interested to see what's next

Not too sure what’s next but I’m hoping for high-school examination passes and then off to university! 🤣

• Haha 4