Hogwarts Express, Scratchbuild, 1/48 Scale

Hogwart's Express - A Baby Bandsaw Build

'A scarlet steam engine was waiting next to a platform packed with people. A sign overhead said Hogwarts Express, 11 o'clock.  Harry looked behind him and saw a wrought-iron archway where the ticket box had been, with the words Platform Nine and Three-Quarters on it. He had done it' 

So wrote J.K. Rowling in chapter six of her 1997 novel Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - the first in a series of novels that some of you may have heard of.  :penguin:

My two daughters have definitely heard of these books - and have seen the films countless times - in fact they are bordering on fanatical about all things Harry Potter.  So it wasn't a complete surprise when the younger of them - twelve year old 'Baby Bandsaw'- came to me about two weeks ago and asked if she could have a go at scratch-building a model of the Hogwarts Express.  

gz0rxgy.jpg

Being a very irresponsible parent I immediately decided that this was a great idea and despite all of the hazards of power-tools and chisels and so-forth, Baby Bandsaw (B,B) should indeed have a crack at this! 

We agreed that I would give her inexpert guidance, bad advice and, whenever required, inept help. She however would actually do the majority of the work. This will be Baby Bandsaw's Build, not mine, but she agreed that I was allowed to photograph and document her progress right here on Britmodeller and that I would be allowed to publish under my log-on.  

I looked her straight in the eye and asked her 'if you start this will you finish it?'  it was a somber moment - she said 'yes' so we shook hands and the project began. 

After a brief bit of research and a couple of  internet searchs I found this set of plans for a 'Hall Class' locomotive (Olton Hall was used in the film) and re-scaled the plans to 1/48 scale using my work's photocopier.  This should be enough to get started. In model railway world I think that 1/48 is called 'O' gauge for some obscure reason.

Y51RITU.jpg

This lump of Huon Pine - the same bit I used to form the vac-form cowling buck on the Avro 504 - was the only bit of decent wood I had that was wide enough to start to form the boiler . Here is the first cut in the entire project. BB cutting off a small surplus lump on one end, squaring up the block in preparation for further work. 

HpXs2TP.jpg

Here she's cutting out the profile view of the boiler. We have no plan view at this stage but that's not too much of a handicap because the boiler is circular in cross-section and so the side view is identical to the plan.

2fSw7VH.jpg

As per my usual 'modus operandi' BB is spraying some cheap photo-fixative glue onto the side of the wood so that...

Li0whUd.jpg

She can stick the paper pattern on and start some bandsaw action!  I was sort-of a bit 'parental' here and fussed about making sure those fingers stayed at least a small distance from the blade! 

0ZnnHbf.jpg

A few minutes later she had this.

dndUjp1.jpg

We marked up a 'do not cut into' red line -as you can see below - and a grey 'remove with chisel' area and BB started hacking into the sharp squared off corners with this scoop chisel - nice work!

BKZCPH1.jpg

So after about half an hour she was left with this. The very, very early stages of this build. The very first bit of rounding off of that square block that will need be reduced to a full cylinder to represent the boiler.  Alas, by now it was bedtime as BB had school the following day.

hZJTcE5.jpg

So begins my first post on the 'Civilian Vehicle's forum - a forum I have been hankering to get onto for some time.  Some of you may be thinking 'Ere! Isn't there a forum specifically for railway locomotives on Britmodeller?' and there is. However, frankly, it's a bit hidden away and BB and I are hoping for a bit of visibility, interest and banter regarding this project. We think it will do better here in that regard.  I did send a Personal Message to @Mike and he has very graciously given us permission to post this here so we aren't trespassing - honest! 🙂

Anyway - this should be fun, and I hope some of you see fit to follow along and see what comes of this.

Best Regards,

Baby Bandsaw and Bandsaw Steve!

• Like 21

Cool!

Speaking in my professional capacity as a builder of railway models, I feel I should gently point out the boiler is coned, while remaining circular in section. It tapers from the firebox end down to the smokebox. The smokebox (the bit with the chimney on it) is cylindrical in section.

Of course, if that was already known, all well and good. :)

For some of the fittings, such as chimney and the safety valve "bonnet", you might get away with sourcing cast metal items from various kit makers here in the UK. They will be to 1/43rd scale, but I don’t think that will matter. They equally could be made  from wood, which might be preferable. I can provide some links to kit and component manufacturers if that’s useful to you later on. Wheels might prove an issue. You can get ready made wheels with correct spoke patterns, but I’m afraid they’ll be a different scale, and also quite expensive. Whether that really matters or not depends on you and Baby Bandsaw. (See the following comments regarding scales and gauges in my next paragraph.)

The scale thing is a minefield. The US modellers work to 1/48th, known as O scale. European modellers work to much the same scale, but some work to 1/45th while still using the same track gauge. Still with me? Meanwhile, here in the UK, we work to 1/43rd scale and call it O gauge:penguin:The only real commonality is the track gauge, which works out at 32mm between the rails.

Anyway, I’m up for following this adventure. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Roy vd M. said:

Must... not... click... follow...!

lol, I just did.

The wife was an ardent HP fan, while I just thought it was kid;stuff...until I bought her the blu-ray collection one Christmas. Of course I had to watch them with her....and have done several times since. Thoroughly enjoyed them too, I might add; so call my interest piqued.

I will magic up some popcorn and take a seat...…     GO B.B !!!!

• Thanks 1

Good on you for letting her loose on your tools - kids will never learn anything if you mollycoddle them too much so this is to me is great. She'll be set up much better for life being let loose with a few power tools and sharp edges at a young age than being wrapped in cotton wool. (In case anyone is wondering, it's probably this attitude to parenting why I don't get asked to babysit!)

And good on Baby Bandsaw for being creative and making something rather than just staring at a screen in her spare time

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Some of you may be thinking 'Ere! Isn't there a forum specifically for railway locomotives on Britmodeller?' and there is. However, frankly, it's a bit hidden away and BB and I are hoping for a bit of visibility

exactly same reason I chose to throw Pegasus in here.

This should be good so I'll settle in here in the front row. 

PS  I posted this several hours ago but for some reason the post got eaten by the forum software

• Like 1

Go BB, Go! Really hope you succeed with this!

Mine tried it a couple of time with normal kits but the allure of the accursed iPhone and being "liked" by friends and strangers was too strong...   :angry:... Terribly sad!           

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Wheels might prove an issue. You can get ready made wheels with correct spoke patterns, but I’m afraid they’ll be a different scale, and also quite expensive. Whether that really matters or not depends on you and Baby Bandsaw. (See the following comments regarding scales and gauges in my next paragraph.)

The scale thing is a minefield. The US modellers work to 1/48th, known as O scale. European modellers work to much the same scale, but some work to 1/45th while still using the same track gauge. Still with me? Meanwhile, here in the UK, we work to 1/43rd scale and call it O gauge:penguin:The only real commonality is the track gauge, which works out at 32mm between the rails.

Hi Heather, thanks for the input. We will most likely be getting the wheels 3D printed as I think they will be the most challenging component. Luckily we have no plans to make this run!

As for the scale issues- wow - I had no idea it was that complicated! I have just measured the gauge on the plans and it’s very close to 32mm so we will aim to sit the finished model on O gauge track. The rest will be a simple 1/48 static model.

As you may already have gathered, I don’t claim to know anything about steam locomotives so feel free to chip in any comments. This is a great opportunity for me to learn about these interesting and attractive vehicles.

12 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

Go on! Just one little push of just one little button.

Dare you to!🤪

Go on - Double dare you! 😱😱

What will it matter? You know you can always say Voldemort forced you to do it using the Imperius curse! 👿 

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

I will magic up some popcorn and take a seat...…     GO B.B !!!!

Unfortunately food is one of the five exceptions to ‘Gamp’s Law of Elemental Transfiguration’ - so you won’t be able to conjure popcorn from nothing!

Still you are most welcome to sit in the front row and munch away at some from the Hogsmeade general store. 🍿 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Spiny said:

And good on Baby Bandsaw for being creative and making something rather than just staring at a screen in her spare time

Yes there’s been a bit too much screen time in our house lately (I’m guilty too) so this is a good chance to get out into ‘The Factory’ and bash some nails into some wood.

She was born with ten fingers, so if one or two get whacked off in the process it’s no great loss. 😱

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Go on! Just one little push of just one little button. 👿

What will it matter? 👿 👿 👿 

Really, this looks like it's going to be a marvellous build with interesting techniques. Being a Harry Potter-fan, I certainly wouldn't want to miss anything of this thread. I subscribed the minute I saw it :D  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spiny said:

Good on you for letting her loose on your tools - kids will never learn anything if you mollycoddle them too much so this is to me is great.

With the utmost of coincidence today I let my 7-year old girl operate the milling machine for the first time. Had to drill four holes into a piece of steel and she was allowed to turn the positioning wheel (a whopping 4 cm.= 40 turns). Makes for a proud dad!

No surprise that I'll strongly agree to the above sentiments. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

As you may already have gathered, I don’t claim to know anything about steam locomotives so feel free to chip in any comments. This is a great opportunity for me to learn about these interesting and attractive vehicles.

I’m happy to help where I can. I shall be following along with this adventure, so tag me with anything you think I can help with.

The models I build are mostly metal, and come as kits. The expectation is to build as near to an exact replica of the real thing as is possible at the scale. BB's model doesn’t need to go that far, especially for a first model. Happily, the GWR locos were fairly clean in design and didn’t have lots of awkward shapes, so a finished model that looks near enough should be attainable. I’m looking forward to seeing how it turns out. :) 

• Thanks 1

Steve!!

Don't know what made me check in here today after a long absence but, my ears were twitching and now I know why ... somebody's scratch-building a UK steam engine!!   My goodness, what ambition this young lady has and I send her all my best wishes.   Wow, talk about jumping in at the deep end but she's in Dad's capable hands and it should be great fun for both of you.   There's a lot of precision required in such a model but since she's only twelve I imagine you'll be simplifying the project so that she can create something that satisfies her and maybe whets her appetite to build another model.

For many successive years I tutored a grand-son from age 8 in scratch-building a model of his choice.   Started with a pterosaur (ask your daughter), the submarine from "Finding Nemo", a WW2 fighter, a Caterham 7, a top fuel dragster etc.    The key was always to simplify the task to his abilities and let him create something that, to his eyes, was just what he wanted. 

Take lots of pictures and enjoy the ride!

Frank

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, albergman said:

Steve!!

My goodness, what ambition this young lady has and I send her all my best wishes.   

Yep- ambition- she always says she would be in Slytherin house! 🐍 

6 hours ago, albergman said:

The key was always to simplify the task to his abilities and let him create something that, to his eyes, was just what he wanted. 

Shouldn’t be a problem, that’s how I build all of my models! 😃 

So pleased you wrote in Albergman! After seeing your Flying Scotsman, which is still one of my all-time favourite Britmodeller models, I have been keen on building a steam locomotive. So when BB asked to do the Hogwarts Express I was primed to say yes. 

Steve

A Very Quick Update

Something seems to be going a bit awry with my usual method of posting right now, hence the two accidental posts above, so I'm just going to try to make this update as simple as possible and get it into cyberspace quick smart.

Here BB is rounding off the square corners of the boiler with a chisel in preparation for...

b8WCcAh.jpg

Mounting the boiler in my lathe - specifically purchased for model building a year ago and never used on a real job before. This is it's first use in 'anger'.

ohO2ncO.jpg

BB reaching for the big woodturning chisels.

TmtWrl2.jpg

Girls can do anything!

yN6cqM0.jpg

Getting a nice tapered shape forming here using the flat woodturning tool rather than the original gouge.

7gvVvX8.jpg

Sanding to get a nice smooth surface - keep your fingers clear of the spinning bits and your long hair tied up!

dOIhxWi.jpg

Cut off the surplus ends with a coping saw.

OFR9qf7.jpg

Square the ends up with a bench sander.

tLlvXj0.jpg

And there you have a nice tapered boiler for a Hall Class locomotive.

gm4Yl5G.jpg

Normally I write more flowery prose than this - but as I say, I think this computer is playing up right now so I just want this 'launched' before the whole damned post gets lost or whatever.

Suffice to say I am very happy with the start that BB has made!  

Bandsaw Steve

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

A charming and heart-warming project. Lovely to see girls at work and with motivation. 

Be sure for a full measure of safety with eye (ear too if needed) protection and an overall/smock  or such to keep clothing out of spinny things.  Otherwise you'd be responsible for Workman's (or, er - Workgirls) Compensation. Frequent hair-washings may be needed for tiny chip removal - something I no longer need worry over.

Bravo and carry on !:cheers:

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2019 at 9:17 AM, Bandsaw Steve said:

We agreed that I would give her inexpert guidance, bad advice and, whenever required, inept help. She however would actually do the majority of the work. This will be Baby Bandsaw's Build, not mine, but she agreed that I was allowed to photograph and document her progress right here on Britmodeller and that I would be allowed to publish under my log-on.  

I think I see what's going on here.  

You really, really wanted a good Hogwarts Express for your collection, but realized that your skills weren't quite up to the task.  That Avro thingy, the Mig thingy, a floaty boaty, and a sinky boaty showed you are okay with making cereal box toys, but when it comes to complex, detailed and accurate models, you needed some help from the big guns.  Ergo... you called in your daughter(s).  - We can already see that step change up in quality

Now, if only you hadn't mentioned BB in that first thread, you just might have gotten away with it too!

:P     :penguin:   :D

Great stuff there Steve - and BB!  Welcome aboard! (okay, bad pun)

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you attack some of the upcoming aspects of the build. Some of those components look tricky so we should be seeing some innovative and entertaining solutions

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6