Calling Brewster Buffalo experts

fatalbert

Hiya everyone,I have in my stash a couple of Airfix Brewster Buffalo's and a Matchbox kit too,now i rather like Airfix kit,especially the canopy,the matchbox one I don't think is quiet as nice.I would like to make a RNZAF or Fleet air arm example.I have read that the Airfix kit isn't correct for those airframes and that combining the Revell kit with the Airfix one is the way to go.My question is,is it possible to do the same  with the Matchbox and Airfix kits,if so has anyone done it and what do I need to do.

Many thanks

Neil

Casting my mind back to an article in Airfix Magazine back in 1974 or 75 , the problem with the Airfix kit is that the cowling is too small , apparently being nearer the size of that of the original F2A-1 variant .  The author put wedges in the front fuselage to splay it out far enough to allow fitment of the larger Revell cowl . The rest of the Airfix kit was reckoned to be superior to the Revell .  I have no experience of the Matchbox kit so I don't know about the size of the cowl .  If you want a copy of the article , PM me your address & I'll put you a copy in the post . 

John Green

Nantwich , Cheshire 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi!

IIRC Airfix has short fuselage of the F-2A-2 instead of earlier or later models. If either converting later Hasegawa kit or using the later Special Hobby kit is not an alternative then Airfix lenghtened and widened front fuselage, heavy re-shaping of the Revell cowl, adding longer tail cone and maybe widening wing trailing edge from root and narrowing from tip are tasks to be considered.

I have once filed a Revelll cowl to match a Brewster Model 239/F-2A-1. It was quite a job. My fuselage was lenghtened and widened Airfix one with Matchbox wings.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2019 at 12:14 AM, fatalbert said:

Hiya everyone,I have in my stash a couple of Airfix Brewster Buffalo's and a Matchbox kit too,now i rather like Airfix kit,especially the canopy,the matchbox one I don't think is quiet as nice.I would like to make a RNZAF or Fleet air arm example.I have read that the Airfix kit isn't correct for those airframes and that combining the Revell kit with the Airfix one is the way to go.My question is,is it possible to do the same  with the Matchbox and Airfix kits,if so has anyone done it and what do I need to do.

Many thanks

Neil

3 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

Hi!

IIRC Airfix has short fuselage of the F-2A-2 instead of earlier or later models. If either converting later Hasegawa kit or using the later Special Hobby kit is not an alternative then Airfix lenghtened and widened front fuselage, heavy re-shaping of the Revell cowl, adding longer tail cone and maybe widening wing trailing edge from root and narrowing from tip are tasks to be considered.

I have once filed a Revelll cowl to match a Brewster Model 239/F-2A-1. It was quite a job. My fuselage was lenghtened and widened Airfix one with Matchbox wings.

Cheers,

AaCee

Just bear in mind that the aircraft flown by RNZAF Personal, such as 488 (NZ) Sqn

were 339E's, essentially a F2A-2 with some modifications (tail cone/tail wheel/cockpit/propeller).

The F2A-2 had a fuselage extension forward of the wing Leading Edge ( 5 inches from memory)

lengthening the F2A-1 fuselage.

The FAA Buffaloes were ex Belgian 339B's, and were essentially an USN F2A-2, sans tail hook and life raft

container, and with a pointed tail cone.

Here is a good discussion on the types including some comments from Jim Maas

Some excellent photos of Belgian 339B's

Belgian 339B Belgian

339B in British Markings

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks chaps,sounds like I have my work cut out lol.I think I need to source a good set of plans.Can anyone recommend a source,Have seen the aviation news ones on ebay,are they worth a go?

Cheers

Neil

48 minutes ago, fatalbert said:

Many thanks chaps,sounds like I have my work cut out lol.I think I need to source a good set of plans.Can anyone recommend a source,Have seen the aviation news ones on ebay,are they worth a go?

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil,

Are these the ones you're referring to?

Brewster Buffalo Plans EBay

Regards

Alan

8 hours ago, fatalbert said:

Yes Alan.

Neil

Hi Neil,

I've not used those plans, But I notice only 1-2 or so side views

of an F2A-2.

The Plan views are of a an F2A-3 which has a longer fuselage than an F2A-2

(forward of wings), so those aren't going to assist you from above and below.

I'm not aware of any decent plans for an F2A-2, even these plans from the Blue

Prints have the same issue of having an F2A-3 plan views.

the Blue Prints Buffalo

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

The recent book in the Ginter series by Rich Dann would be a good place to start.  Unfortunately, the most accurate F2A-2 / Model 339B-E  comes from Special Hobby in 1/32. As far as 1/72 goes, there are conversion parts for the tail cone from Red Roo, and as mentioned, the Revell cowl is better than the Airfix rendering.  Gee, that takes me back .....

11 hours ago, jimmaas said:

Unfortunately the most accurate F2A-2 / Model 339B-E  comes from Special Hobby in 1/32. As far as 1/72 goes, there are conversion parts for the tail cone from Red Roo, and as mentioned, the Revell cowl is better than the Airfix rendering. 

@jimmaasJim.  What kit would you recommend as best of the crop in 1/72?  I would be especially interested to learn the shortcomings of the Special Hobby 1/72 kit, which I have always regarded as "inspired" by the Hasegawa kit but with better interior detail and parts for British and other export variants, at the expense of slightly softer surface detail.

Edited by Seahawk

Hi all,

I suppose Specal Hobby is today the best starting point for export variants except Finnish which has a dedicated kit from Hasegawa.

After looking my old model and finding some Matchbox parts from spares I was thinking that if a combination of Airfix and Matchbox is done I would use main components from Matchbox and detail parts from Airfix. DImensionally and shape way Matchbox is better than Airfix so filling the trenches and taking prop, engine, landing gear and canopy from the Airfix kit would be my choice today. If Airfix canopy is too difficult to fit into the Matchbox fuselage then maybe an insert cut from Airfix might do? This way there is the long tailcone already in place.

Cheers,

AaCee

6 hours ago, Seahawk said:

jimmaasJim.  What kit would you recommend as best of the crop in 1/72?  I would be especially interested to learn the shortcomings of the Special Hobby 1/72 kit, which I have always regarded as "inspired" by the Hasegawa kit but with better interior detail and parts for British and other export variants, at the expense of slightly softer surface detail.

I don't know if there was any DNA connection between Hasegawa and the Special Hobby series.  Although I saw test shots of the 1/72 kits, I was more involved with the 1/48 Classic Airframe F2A-1/239 (which did owe a nod to the REMI vacuform kit).  The Special Hobby 1/72 kits are probably best for F2A-2/339/F2A-3/339-23 subtypes.  There is a reasonable stab at the trusswork inside the landing gear bay, and (unlike SH's offerings in 1/48 and 1/32) you don't have to eradicate the starboard landing light for other-than-339E variants.  It's easier to drill a new hole for the RAF 339E's than to make one vanish for everything else.  Note, though, the Brewsters in Europe were ex-Belgian, and only had one (port-side) landing light. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

Hi all,

I suppose Specal Hobby is today the best starting point for export variants except Finnish which has a dedicated kit from Hasegawa.

After looking my old model and finding some Matchbox parts from spares I was thinking that if a combination of Airfix and Matchbox is done I would use main components from Matchbox and detail parts from Airfix. DImensionally and shape way Matchbox is better than Airfix so filling the trenches and taking prop, engine, landing gear and canopy from the Airfix kit would be my choice today. If Airfix canopy is too difficult to fit into the Matchbox fuselage then maybe an insert cut from Airfix might do? This way there is the long tailcone already in place.

Cheers,

AaCee

Except the Airfix Propeller is the US Navy version, not used on

RAF versions or Dutch Versions, if you were planning  a RAF 339E

or NEI 339D.

You would be fine for a Belgian 339B though.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow,thanks everyone,it seems I have opened up a can of worms.I never realised the humble unloved Buffalo had different versions,I just assumed it was the same airframe throughout its production run.I have managed to source a revell example from a well known auction site so will have to have a play with all three kits and see what I can do with them.

Neil

Edited by fatalbert

On 7/15/2019 at 12:59 AM, LDSModeller said:

Except the Airfix Propeller is the US Navy version, not used on

RAF versions or Dutch Versions, if you were planning  a RAF 339E

or NEI 339D.

You would be fine for a Belgian 339B though.

Regards

Alan

Hello Alan

That's true. My Model 239 was built long before Hasegawa kit came out and I donät remember where I sourced prop for it as Matchbox has cuffs also on it, iirc. One point is also different tail wheels. There were at least three types, US Navy, Finnish modified USN variant with bigger Nokia-tyre and rest of the export variants. Matchbox's is the original export one.

Cheers,

AaCee

4 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Quickboost do a tail cone and wheel for a B/E intended for the hasegawa kit

Oooooooo interesting,will have to look into that.

6 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

One point is also different tail wheels. There were at least three types, US Navy, Finnish modified USN variant with bigger Nokia-tyre and rest of the export variants. Matchbox's is the original export one

The Finnish tail wheel was adapted from a standard wheelbarrow tire.  Very inventive, those Finns!

• Like 1

Hi Neil,

If you decide (per comment in your Original Post) to go for an RAF 339E (as flown by 488(NZ) Sqn)

- per Matchbox's markings then a few additional items that (depending on how Accurate" you want to be?)

you might want to take a note of

The RAF Buffalo had a "Pop out" pane in the main sliding canopy (portside) as in this

photo link - note too the deletion of Navigation/formation lights from upper wings

RAF Buffalo

The RAF 339E Buffalo also had a Gun camera Starboard side wing leading edge

per this annotated Life Photo - note also the Ring sight in photo-removed for operations

and Gun  sight installed - good shot of tail wheel also

d65cea40-83f8-4e52-a789-0c47e7a351cc.JPG

The Brewster Buffalo (all versions (F2A-1-3 ) had an spent ammunition slot Portside under wing, per my

Buffalo build here

475e7217-b614-43e3-835b-92d4aa427fbf.jpg

RAF 339E Buffalo had "Square" pilots seat (note natural metal) with Sutton harness - note the seat mounting

frame attached to the Rollover frame - other F2A/Buffalo models did not have this type of frame

67d2473f-0371-4583-b8ae-1132ba6ca12d.jpg

(RNZAF Copyright- Official - used for illustration purposes only)

Note the Round object to right of Flight Lieutenant John (Hutch) Hutchinson is the undercarriage warning

horn - a few stories about that object too.....^_^

The "Office" Cockpit differed from USN/other Export Buffalo in various ways too in 1/72 probably not too

obvious - one item thought was the Gun heating piping as in my model here

18ba7588-5c84-4d6f-b218-5e5088012a68.jpg

Note the Oxygen Bottle cage lower left - also not found on other USN/export Buffalo - what is perhaps

not so noticeable is the Pilots back armour attached to  back of seat frame.

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2