WEMCC ACS12 Soviet VVS AMT-12 Dark Grey

Richard502

Hello Jamie, 

Painting up an Accurate Miniatures Yak1b I expected something like this for colors:

http://hsfeatures.com/yak1btb_1.htm

While the WEM AMT-11 is close to that in the pic above and gave a nice glossy coat, the WEM  AMT-12 is distinctly greenish grey and ended up flat/matte. The tin is admittedly ancient, but I used an electrical paint stirrer. Which of the two versions is nearer to the original AMT-12? 

Richard

Hi Richard,

If it's WEMCC something then it's probably very old indeed. Unfortunately WEM were one of several places which used Erik Pilawskii's book "Soviet Air Force Fighter Colours 1942-1945" in good faith. That publication has been roundly dismissed as non-factual by more more robust researchers since then and we revised the VVS paints a couple of years ago in line with more compelling arguments.

The revised ACS12 is a bit lighter and would be described as a slightly bluish-greenish grey. The revised ACS11 is also lighter and is a bluish grey. I now understand that fresh AMT-12 would have been somewhere between the old ACS11 and the old ACS12.

• 4 months later...

Following up on this, I've been doing a check of my paints and am aware  that I have to order these two tins.  However I find some other differences between the Colourcoats range and my WEM examples.  Do the primers ACS05 WUP Grey Interiors and IMUP Blue Grey differ between CC and WEM?  You do not offer an AMT 1 whereas WEM offer two(?).  Passing over Tractor Green rapidly, do you hold that AE9 Grey and AII L Brown did not exist?  Your two Russian Army greens are both darker than the WEM 4BO, I take it that this can be abandoned?

Any comment you care to make will be welcomed.

Hi Graham,

Sorry about the delay. I am struggling to remember exactly what the rationale with each of these is - all that really sticks in my mind is that with hindsight the Russian revamp was the single worst decision I made and given another go I'd have just discontinued the whole lot. I'm certain I could sell STD self-infection kits in larger quantities than Russian aircraft colours!

Checking my notes though, we couldn't conclude of the ACS05 and 06 primer and IMUP blue grey so just left them the same. I have the AMT-1 light and dark greys struck out in red which in my usual formatting means it wasn't supported by evidence (I used Massimo Tassitori's website as my main go-to). For the browns, I recall that those ones didn't cut the mustard. I had been thinking of revising one, but Massimo was unaware of where it should have been used.

The 4BO green definitely did exist, but the WEM offering based on Pilawskii's book didn't correlate well with Massimo's findings so it was revised.

• 3 weeks later...