This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Richard502

WEMCC ACS12 Soviet VVS AMT-12 Dark Grey

Hello Jamie, 

Painting up an Accurate Miniatures Yak1b I expected something like this for colors:

http://hsfeatures.com/yak1btb_1.htm

While the WEM AMT-11 is close to that in the pic above and gave a nice glossy coat, the WEM  AMT-12 is distinctly greenish grey and ended up flat/matte. The tin is admittedly ancient, but I used an electrical paint stirrer. Which of the two versions is nearer to the original AMT-12? 

Richard

Hi Richard,

If it's WEMCC something then it's probably very old indeed. Unfortunately WEM were one of several places which used Erik Pilawskii's book "Soviet Air Force Fighter Colours 1942-1945" in good faith. That publication has been roundly dismissed as non-factual by more more robust researchers since then and we revised the VVS paints a couple of years ago in line with more compelling arguments.

The revised ACS12 is a bit lighter and would be described as a slightly bluish-greenish grey. The revised ACS11 is also lighter and is a bluish grey. I now understand that fresh AMT-12 would have been somewhere between the old ACS11 and the old ACS12.

Hi Jamie,

thank you for the information. So the search is on for a set of Sovereign Hobbies tins ... Which continental European distributer would have them in stock?

Richard