P-51D "Dappy VI"

Andre B

The old Hasegawa P-51D 1/72 kit has decals for an aircraft from 339 FW flewn by Col. William C. Clark and named Dappy VI.

I can't find any information about this aircraft nor any pictures of it or the kit with mentioned decals.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-a16-mustang-p-51d-north-american--158278

Or did Hasegawa and Scalemates get it wrong about the name of the aircraft?

Happy IV or... ?

Someone who knews?

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

Col Clark was the last CO of the 339th FG in the war and had a P-51D called "Dolly" and which also had "Happy IV" under the exhaust stubs which I think this probably refers to.

There's a photo in Scutts' "Mustang Aces of the Eighth Air Force", p.32.

Edited by Smithy
Typo
  • Like 1

According to the 8th AF Little Friends website, Col. Clark's P-51D was serialed 44-64148, was coded 5Q-C. It bore the name 'Happy IV' on the nose and 'Dotty' on the canopy frame (His wife's name) By the serial, it would be a P-51D-20-NA and would have had the dorsal fin strake.

He also flew another Mustang, a P-51K,  serialed 44-11745, also coded 5Q-C. It bore the name 'Happy III' on the nose, and was lost while being flown by another pilot, who was KIA. By the serial, it would be a P-51K-5-NT and would also have had the dorsal fin strake. Note that in the photos of Happy III, it appears to have had the Aeroproducts cuffless prop replaced by a Hamilton Standard cuffed prop; this was a common swap, as the Aeroproducts props were known for having balance problems, and enterprising crew chiefs wasted little time in fitting the HS prop to their pilot's Mustang!

Here is a link to that website- if you scroll through the group gallery section, you can find photos of Col. Clark and his Mustang. Hope this helps!

Mike

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/339th-fighter-group/

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Thanks 1

Pictures of 'Happy IV' can be found on internet or you may contact me off-line.  I hope they help, Michael.

• Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, Boman said:

Correct name for Col. Clark's P-51D 44-64148 5Q-C is Happy IV. Dappy VI is not correct, sorry

Yes, how Hasegawa made it to "Dappy IV" and in wrong colours to is strange when it seems they got "Dolly" right. But maybe I can make an accurate decal some day. Always something to talk about... ;)

https://mobile.twitter.com/opwalbea/status/1008964144064843776

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

The first Hasegawa 1/72 scale P-51D Mustang i somewhat strange in other things to...

In the box there are two instructions. The usually big one and one smal corrected about the propeller assembly. The assembly according to the instructions (# 4 Propeller & Canopy Installation) is for an kit looking like the Tamiya 1/72 Mustang. The corrections (the "Propeller Assembly") is for an kit looking like the Academy kit...

spacer.png

Edited by Andre B

15 hours ago, Andre B said:

Yes, how Hasegawa made it to "Dappy IV" and in wrong colours to is strange when it seems they got "Dolly" right. But maybe I can make an accurate decal some day. Always something to talk about... ;)

No, they didn't get "Dolly" right because the name on the frame was "Dotty"!

6 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Well, that's maybe my fault. The decal looks accurate. I think I read "Dotty" as "Dolly"...

21 minutes ago, Andre B said:

29 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Well, that's maybe my fault. The decal looks accurate. I think I read "Dotty" as "Dolly

Looking closely I think they even got “Happy“ right because a very strange small “h“ was used in the inscription that looks like “D“.

The colours are wrong, though.

2 hours ago, Toryu said:

Looking closely I think they even got “Happy“ right because a very strange small “h“ was used in the inscription that looks like “D“.

The colours are wrong, though.

Yes, I looked at it more times than I can count. And still I can't say of it stands Happy, Dappy or even Nappy.

But for sure the colours is not accurate for either...

Cheers / André

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraktur

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

When that kit came out, in 1974, Japanese kit instructions and decals were famous for mis-spellings, often with unintended comic effect. Thank goodness they are so much better now. And the kit itself was superb for its time, and still holds up well IMO.

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

When that kit came out, in 1974, Japanese kit instructions and decals were famous for mis-spellings, often with unintended comic effect. Thank goodness they are so much better now. And the kit itself was superb for its time, and still holds up well IMO.

I agree with that...

Looking att the Hasegawa kit it is amazing that it came as early as 1974 compared to the Heller, Airfix and Matchbox kits from almost the same time.

Not that amazing compared to (say) the Airfix Spitfire Mk.I and the Heller He112, to name just a couple of examples.  Nice yes indeed, but not as far ahead as their later Fw190, for example, whereas Heller and Airfix stood still or got worse in the intervening years.

Edited by Graham Boak