Showcase Models V & W Class Destroyer HMAS Vendetta in 1/350

Hello all;

I'm taking on my first ship.  I chose this kit as it's closest to my subject, HMS Wren (D88) on which my Grandfather was serving when she was sunk by the Luftwaffe in 1940.  Thankfully he survived, but many of his mates didn't.

Based on what I've read, there's some updating to do to bring it to 1940 spec; can anyone give me a list of things I need to do and what aftermarket I can use?  I have seen some excellent 3D printed stuff from Shapeways for example, but I'm not sure exactly what I need for the 1940 "Wren", at least.  Also, what was likely to have been the paint scheme she was wearing?

Any and all help most appreciated.

Cheers;

Mark.

I did find this answer in another thread...

...but I'm rather embarrassed to say that I don't really understand it, there's no mention of wings, fuselage, etc. you see 🙂

Hi Mark, good little project you've got there mate!

I can't find any evidence to say she wasn't in 507A (home fleet grey) all over in 1940 when she was sunk, I'd say go with that.

It seems she had a busy year up till July so she may not have had a chance to get any kind of camouflage pained on after being in Norway with the home fleet.

She may also not have had any wartime upgrades done to her by July, again being kept too busy possibly? A lot of the V and W ships had all sorts of mods done to them but I believe most of them were done later in the year after the threat of invasion died down somewhat. 

As for the upgrades to the kit itself I'm no help at all I'm afraid, not sure what's in the kit.

Could be worth a look at www.starling-models.co.uk

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk

for some ideas to upgrade kit parts without going down the Shapeways path. Some of the resin 1/350 weapons available now are unbelievable! They both do PE as well for the areas that may need extras.

Best of luck, hope you post a WIP so we can watch her unfold!

Geoff 

Edited by Bugle07
Spelling