Hasegawa F-4N 1/72 VF-84 Jolly Rogers Finished

almac

Glad that you've sorted out your white paint troubles Allan.  You might like to try Halfords Appliance White on some scrap plastic before tackling all those other USN jets - I used it on XV590 (and also my Tomcat earlier in the year) and always use it for airliners.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Evening all. Getting there slowly. Started the metal parts of the tail. Using AK extreme metal paints. They spray really well but being enamel are very smelly compared to my usual acrylics.spacer.png

Cheers Allan

• Like 2

Afternoon all. The paint saga continues. The AK metallic paint has been a bit of a nightmare as it was still tacky after 24 hours. I’ve used it previously and it dried really quickly but this time is completely different. So, I decided the best way forward was to strip off the AK paint and use something else.  As I was in the vicinity of Hobbycraft this morning I picked up some Tamiya flat aluminium and gun metal. They both went without any issue but I’m not sure about the gun metal as to me it looks too dark.  At this stage I’ll stick with it as time is fast running out. Here’s a pic of today’s    

efforts.

spacer.png

Cheers Allan

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, almac said:

I’m not sure about the gun metal as to me it looks too dark

Maybe do a couple of light coats of the aluminum over it ? That should give you a nice contrast yet still be lighter in color ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Maybe do a couple of light coats of the aluminum over it ? That should give you a nice contrast yet still be lighter in color ? 

I think you’re right about lightening it as will only annoy me if I do leave it.

Cheers Allan

• Like 1

Evening all. I'm afraid this won't be a Sundowners Phantom after all as I messed up with the first decal on the tail. So I've considered my options and my first thought was sourcing new decals but lack of time and cash meant that was a non-starter. My next thought was to see if I have suitable decals in my other Hasegawa Phantom kits and ones which didn't require too much extra painting. Luckily I've found a suitable alternative in a VF -31  Tomcatters Phantom which doesn't need too much extra painting. Hopefully I can still finish this before next Sunday. Maybe in the future I'll tackle the Sundowners Phantom with some after market decals.

Cheers Allan

• Like 1

Evening all.  Well my plan to do a vf-31 Phantom turned out to be a non-starter as I failed to notice the decals I had were for an F-4 J not an N. Luckily I had not started altering the paintwork when I noticed. So I looked at the options from my stash and the only one that suited was a Jolly Roger VF-81 F-4n.  So I’ve spent last night and today painting the black tail with yellow top and the white nose. I’m calling it done as I spent so much time on the masking and then correcting overspray again. This one has come close to being launched several times, not because it’s a bad kit, but due to my ongoing mistakes. 

Anyway here’s how it looks now prior to decaling. 

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 3

Evening all.  I’ve spent a couple of very relaxing hours with the decals tonight. The decals on this boxing are printed by Cartograf and so far seem to be excellent. I feel like I’m finally getting somewhere with this build st last.

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 2

Morning all. Some more decals on this morning. The diagonal stripes went on ok, bit worried I would mess that up but looks ok. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I am writing this on the train to Edinburgh as I’m off to Scale Scotland Model show. I’m telling myself I won’t buy anymore kits but you never know.

Cheers Allan 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Looking good Allan, it's hard to beat a "Jolly Rogers" bird.

Hope you didn't buy too many kits at the show!

Mike

Thanks Mike. I didn’t buy any kits at the show but spent £30 on paint and stuff. No second-hand traders at the show which was a shame as I like a good rummage.

Progress continues with the decals. The stencil decals are driving me nuts some are tiny you can barely see them. 

Cheers Allan

Evening all. Almost done. Finally finished the decals, the stencils took ages, almost gave up. Might actually finish this tomorrow all being well. 

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

close to the finishing line!

well done!

Yes I’m confident I will finish this one on time. 

Cheers Allan 

Morning all. I'm declaring this one as finished. I'm glad I've managed to get it done before the deadline as at times I didn't think I'd manage. This was a frustrating build at times but only because of my mistakes. I think I spent double the time I could have particularly on the painting as I had to correct so many errors. The end result is not too bad ,a bit ragged round the edges maybe. The canopy painting looked a bit rough when I took off the masks, too much paint I think. Anyways I took some pictures but I'll see if I can get better one s in daylight tomorrow morning.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan

• Like 7

Congratulations on a lovely build Allan.  For me, like many others who grew up with the old Airfix kit I suspect, these are still the definitive colours for a Phantom :winkgrin:.

Cliff

• Thanks 1