Cheep Alu airbrush.

rockpopandchips

So my £6.50 airbrush is a word is excellent!  (they are normally about £12)

I don't know if I got a good one but as I stripped it down I noticed that it had some grease/lubricant on most of the parts. If you ever bought anything from China this is one thing that doesn't normally happen. So the airbrush came apart nicely, only the trigger/needle chuck thread was a bit ruff. 

After stripping it down, I lubed all the threads and needle. I did give the needle tip a very light sand with some 2000g wet sand paper.

I sprayed some water at about 15-18 psi without any issues, so put some Vallejo air paint in the cup and had go at spraying some of those paterns that the real airbrush reviews do, as you can see very successfully.

The airbrush is light and the trigger is a little stiff, I might be able to fix that by shortening the spring. This little red airbrush definitely performed better than the Iwota Neo and sprays just as good as my H&S silver line but don't feel as good as comfortable but at 16 time the price I would expect the H&s to be more refined. 

IMG-20190703-213407.jpg
IMG-20190703-213349.jpg
IMG-20190703-193354.jpg

Edited by rockpopandchips
  • Like 2

Trouble with these is that they're brilliant in one session and they drive you up the walls during the next. And sometimes those blasted rubber seals perish from just sitting on the shelf (depending on how the good people of China vulcanized them I would imagine).

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 10:09 AM, azureglo said:

Respect RP&C, I just paid 6 times that for two nozzles and a needle for one of my workhorse Harders, as the folks who sold you this would say, "Stoopid iriot Azureglo pay, he PAY NOW!!"

Yes I replaced the needle and nozzle on my H&S at the same time, explaining to the wife the difference is problematic shall we say.....😉

On 7/5/2019 at 11:24 AM, bmwh548 said:

Trouble with these is that they're brilliant in one session and they drive you up the walls during the next. And sometimes those blasted rubber seals perish from just sitting on the shelf (depending on how the good people of China vulcanized them I would imagine).

Your probably write, i have added some blue lube to all the rubber parts and I have nearly finished a model that I will be painting exculsivley with this brush, primer, matts and metallics so will have a proper run through. If it works out ok I might see about getting a seal kit for a Neo and see if they fit this AB.

33 minutes ago, rockpopandchips said:

Your probably write, i have added some blue lube to all the rubber parts and I have nearly finished a model that I will be painting exculsivley with this brush, primer, matts and metallics so will have a proper run through. If it works out ok I might see about getting a seal kit for a Neo and see if they fit this AB.

Really hope it works for you. I still use my cheapos, they get the job done, but they require some tinkering every now and then (unlike the Ultra which is hassle free).

• Like 1

Just ordered one and as it was my first purchase I received a $3 discount voucher so the total cost (including shipping to France) was £4.24. Even if it only works once it's cheaper than a rattle can ;)

Thanks for the tip-off - Brians of the World Unite!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/07/2019 at 17:55, bhouse said:

Just ordered one

...and it arrived yesterday, so 2 weeks to travel from China to the back of beyond in France.

It was well packed and appeared undamaged, but like @rockpopandchips, my first step was to disassemble it.

The O rings seemed to be very elastic, and everything seemed to be well machined and finished.

The only bit that needed attention was the trigger, which was a little rough in places meaning that the trigger would not always turn off without a little flick upwards.

I smoothed it out with some 240, 480, 600 and 1200 grit wet and dry paper and reassembled it, with sparing amounts of grease or oil where it seemed appropriate.

Once reassembled, I tried spraying water through as a test. That was a success so I tried thinners. Also a success, so it was on to the paint. I used Vallejo model air, thinned about 1:1 with Ultimate Thinners, sprayed at about 12psi. The results were really good, and much better than either of my other two: an old Badger and a (no laughing, please!) Aztek 470.

Thin lines (2mm ish) of consistent density were easily achieved at one end of the trigger's travel and good even coverage over about 9cm² at the other.

I flushed it through with thinners then dismantled to check for paint build up - and there was none.

Based on my experience so far, I think it was a bit of a bargain considering the price I paid :)

Thanks to Mr &Chips for the recommendation!

Brian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...