Curtiss H-81A-2 AVG | Trumpeter 1:48

Hi All,

This time it is the Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2, white “77” (CAF serial number P-8173), assigned to the AVG Third Squadron Leader Robert T. Smith, Kunming, China, end of January 1942. At that time, the shark maw had a black border, white teeth, and red tongue, with the area inside painted a light gray color similar to the camouflage underneath – I used RLM78 from Vallejo, painted with a brush right on the Trumpeter’s decal, obviously incorrectly reproducing the original.

The inscription under the PILOT / R.T.SMITH. The Chinese servicemen added a red-blue-white pattern on the wheel hubs. We also can see five white “meatballs”, and the figure of the  “Hell’s Angel”.

The “77” was damaged due to engine failure, just after “Dick” Rossi took off from Magwe on February 23, 1942.

The Trumpeter’s model is full of errors, most of which remained untouched, except for the resin cockpit from Aires, QB exhaust pipes, a proper seat from Ultracast (Trumpeter and Aires give the one with a rounded back), and the Eduard's harness, turned gunbarrels from Aber, as well as the properly British pitot tube - a turned metal and resin.

The antennas’ wires are from Uschi Van Der Rosten, 0.02 mm, insulators made from the stretched cotton stick. Paint at the bottom is Gunze H, at the top – great Mr Paint paints, with which I will stay for longer (the colors seem to be little too dark, but working with these paints is a pure pleasure).

The final outcome – as usual with me – leaves a lot to be desired, but I had a lot of fun with this kit, and that’s what it’s all about, isn’t it?

Oxdg8C.jpg

orvMM8.jpg

WIemch.jpg

Q1mtWI.jpg

aaNm03.jpg

iRqsTG.jpg

aVW8aE.jpg

FUpMeB.jpg

HByf76.jpg

hzOW1k.jpg

2nlSGT.jpg

MK6g9E.jpg

FHnGRz.jpg

xFXKMC.jpg

D7dxW4.jpg

XFwroL.jpg

neDeFh.jpg

CXrcd0.jpg

91nPep.jpg

More photos at my blog.

Best :)
Hubert

• Like 19

It certainly looks like a P-40 & you’ve made a great job of it. 

It’s a shame Trumpeter spoil things with poor research as their kits usually have a good level of detail & go together nicely. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Which colors did you use from Mr. Paint? 

No surprise, MRP108 & MRP110. Regular RAF colors painted on the black base. Underside is Gunze H311 as far as I can remember. 

9 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

It’s a shame Trumpeter spoil things with poor research as their kits usually have a good level of detail & go together nicely. 

That's true. Some things here are so bad, maybe even ridiculous. Too shallow cockpit with an oversized pilot seat, top of the engine cover not even similar to the original (so that I had a problem where to place the PRESTONE stencil), oversimplified undercarriage - and it is only the beginning of the list.

On the other hand, nobody's perfect.

Thanks for comments, glad you like it :)

Best

Hubert 

• Like 1